The Memphis Tigers' very bad offseason just got spectacularly worse.

rams80

Indiana got nailed?

You guys must mean that light tap on the wrist they got, right?

And that's the reason Kentucky really doesn't need to worry one bit. 1989 was a long time ago. I'm not suggesting College Sports were totally pure then or that they're beyond enjoyment now (far from it), but the NCAA is far more business than the hearty organization it set out to be.

Kentucky and Indiana, amongst others, are their revenue making babies. Examples are made of the nobodies. Occasionally the somebodies. Never the babies anymore.

If they were, Indiana would not be prepped to be a contender again in 2 years.

They'll be a contender if the recruits stay and actually pan out. Neither is a guarantee. They did lose scholarships as a result of their self-imposed penalty, and the program was certainly Hiroshima'd for this past season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indiana got nailed because Sampson was doing the same things at Indiana he was doing at Oklahoma.

Exactly, the NCAA could take away a few scholarships for a year or two to punish Calipari in Kentucky.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Indiana got nailed because Sampson was doing the same things at Indiana he was doing at Oklahoma.

Exactly, the NCAA could take away a few scholarships for a year or two to punish Calipari in Kentucky.

No...the schollys were lost BECAUSE Sampson DID THE SAME FRICKIN' THING HE DID AT OKLAHOMA whilst IN THE EMPLOY of Indiana University.

They could only restrict Calipari for visits and phone calls. The penal system in the NCAA does discriminate between individuals and programs.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I need more than just conjecture and supposition. Y'all gotta give some concrete examples, because I just can't believe that for a second. How could one school be sanctioned when the scandal didn't even involve them?

They can't be touched in terms of scholarship reduction, being placed on probation, or anything else the NCAA slaps on the school directly. I guess the NCAA could suspend or ban Callapari for period of time if found to be involved. That would indirectly hurt Kentucky as they would be out a coach, although I would imagine they would be able to get out of the contract at that point.

That won't happen because the NCAA is spineless when it comes to punishing the coaches. If your Kentucky you are concerned about what he might ultimately leave when he exits there. For a program that received the death penalty once already and almost again for a second time it should be a concern. That said it looks like they knew about this storm ahead and still want to "dance with the devil." I guess a couple of down seasons there will do that.

Indiana got nailed?

And that's the reason Kentucky really doesn't need to worry one bit. 1989 was a long time ago. I'm not suggesting College Sports were totally pure then or that they're beyond enjoyment now (far from it), but the NCAA is far more business than the hearty organization it set out to be.

Kentucky and Indiana, amongst others, are their revenue making babies. Examples are made of the nobodies. Occasionally the somebodies. Never the babies anymore.

They'll be a contender if the recruits stay and actually pan out. Neither is a guarantee. They did lose scholarships as a result of their self-imposed penalty, and the program was certainly Hiroshima'd for this past season.

The program looked the result of being Hiroshima'd.

However, in actuality, it was not. Sure they imposed some scholarship limits themselves, but Crean wouldn't have used many if any of those axed scholarships at this point anyways. They'd have been saved for later use.

And go ahead and take a look at all the departed players and the reasons they departed. None of them were forced off the squad by the NCAA. None of them were forced off the squad because Indiana broke NCAA rules.

They left either for the NBA, to graduate, or because they were bad characters that Tom Crean (who I hatefully respect) didn't want on his basketball team. They were scum and they got kicked off for being scum.

IU was a disaster last year, but it wasn't because of any penalties from cheating.

But the NCAA knew that would be the case and they knew they could use that to their advantage in laying off of IU. They in fact cited the "condition of the program" as a reason not to further penalize IU. Not only that, they determined the terrible "condition of the program" before a single game was played. As if the NCAA has the ability or right to predict a terrible season.

I won't keep ranting on it though. Better let the professionals do it. Dan Wetzel nailed it way back when:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/ne...o&type=lgns

Indiana got nailed?

However, in actuality, it was not. Sure they imposed some scholarship limits themselves, but Crean wouldn't have used many if any of those axed scholarships at this point anyways. They'd have been saved for later use.

And go ahead and take a look at all the departed players and the reasons they departed. None of them were forced off the squad by the NCAA. None of them were forced off the squad because Indiana broke NCAA rules.

They left either for the NBA, to graduate, or because they were bad characters that Tom Crean (who I hatefully respect) didn't want on his basketball team. They were scum and they got kicked off for being scum.

IU was a disaster last year, but it wasn't because of any penalties from cheating.

But the NCAA knew that would be the case and they knew they could use that to their advantage in laying off of IU. They in fact cited the "condition of the program" as a reason not to further penalize IU. Not only that, they determined the terrible "condition of the program" before a single game was played. As if the NCAA has the ability or right to predict a terrible season.

I won't keep ranting on it though. Better let the professionals do it. Dan Wetzel nailed it way back when:

When 99% of your scoring departs and you start 4 to 5 Freshmen a game in a major conference, especially one that is known for its on court street fights physical play it's not difficult to project a horrendously bad year. Oh yeah, and those departures also hurt Indiana because well, they aren't graduating, and the NCAA dings programs for that.

Meanwhile the entire Indiana athletic department remains a massive disaster area, in part because of the sanctions and the resultant departure of the AD who had been trying to build it up a little. (For example, he actually understood that the football team is a better program to fund a department with than the basketball team and was taking steps to build it up however modestly. I'm not sure if his replacement grasps that concept.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Indiana got nailed?

Sadly, after SMU, it really does not matter. a school close to getting the death penalty was TCU (Fort Worth) under Jim Wacker at the same time as SMU. They were lucky, but afterwards, the NCAA only looks at the smaller, private schools for even consideration. Baylor should have gotten it with basketball and other team violations, but they also escaped. It does not only take one program to equal death penalty in terms of violations, but even the NCAA does not care. Fresno State has had violations in basketball, football, and APR loss, plus lost two cases in court since 2005 for Title IX discrimination/sexual harrassment yet I guess they want to keep a close eye on him and their program but won't go off big time.

Sadly, I think that UK will be fine, but Memphis willget hit with around two years probation and a loss of scholarships.

More bad news for Rose? This time, from high school.

Source: Grade changed for Bulls star

A year ago, Derrick Rose became the No.1 overall pick in the NBA draft, selected by his hometown Bulls and eventually dazzling enough onlookers to be rated the top rookie in his class.

His ability and promise remain an immutable truth for the present and future. It's Rose's past, though, that is becoming a bit more clouded.

First came news Wednesday out of Memphis that the NCAA is investigating an allegedly fraudulent SAT score of a Memphis basketball player from the 2007-08 Final Four team, reportedly Rose.

Then a Chicago Public Schools source said Thursday that a grade on Rose's high school transcript was changed from a D to a C by someone at Simeon Career Academy in the final semester of his senior year.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05...bulls-star.html

Wade-sig.png

This has nothing to do with his conduct in an NBA game or during his time as an NBA player. It's old news. There's nothing to suspend him for.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Alright, David Stern, the ball's in your court, suspend Rose.

I've said it once already, and I'll say it again with conviction, Will.....You are a shining beacon of ignorance. How can David Stern suspend a guy for having his grades changed in high school? The only team that's going to get punished is Memphis' Men's Basketball team(although the NCAA may get Kentucky for hiring John Calipari, seeing that he recruited Mr. Rose to Memphis).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I've said it once already, and I'll say it again with conviction, Will.....You are a shining beacon of ignorance. How can David Stern suspend a guy for having his grades changed in high school? The only team that's going to get punished is Memphis' Men's Basketball team(although the NCAA may get Kentucky for hiring John Calipari, seeing that he recruited Mr. Rose to Memphis).

Granted, if I was David Stern, he would not have even been drafted last year (I believe one should be required to either be 22 or out of high school for four years), but seriously, he can't exactly stand idly by.

LvZYtbZ.png

Granted, if I was David Stern, he would not have even been drafted last year (I believe one should be required to either be 22 or out of high school for four years), but seriously, he can't exactly stand idly by.

But, you're not David Stern.... Sure he can stand idly by, Rose didn't break any NBA rules. How likely do you think my employer will suspend me just because I did "something" in university?

I saw, I came, I left.

But, you're not David Stern.... Sure he can stand idly by, Rose didn't break any NBA rules. How likely do you think my employer will suspend me just because I did "something" in university?

It's Will...the fact that you pay it any mind reflects worse on you than it does on him...lol

Like my namesake said..."A wise man said don't argue with fools, 'cause people from a distance can't tell who is who."

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's Will...the fact that you pay it any mind reflects worse on you than it does on him...lol

Like my namesake said..."A wise man said don't argue with fools, 'cause people from a distance can't tell who is who."

Why would a dead person care about his reflection anyways? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Of course he can. How does this pertain to his NBA career? It's high school stuff.
What he did tarnishes his image, and by extension, the image of the league as a whole. Of course he can punish him for conduct detrimental to the league.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived