Mantle's NHL Re-design series

mantleisthebest7

Hey everyone!

Its been a long, long time since ive been on here. School has kicked me up the backside and now that its over i've finally had time to get back to what I love doing - making concepts. Ive recently focused my attention to the NHL, and have found a few times I wanted to do concepts for. Thus, this turned into a re-design series. Now, this one is a little different than others. Instead of doing a concept for each and every team, I decided to do concepts only for teams I thought needed a change, so that I wouldnt waste time or a concept on something that I didnt have to. also what makes this different is that a few teams ive decided to take on I decided in my concept to "turn back the clock", if you will, in bettwer words either edge-ifying or tweaking some team's old identites and making them thiers now.

The first team I decided to do was my Anahiem MIGHTY Ducks. You see, in my perfect world, the Ducks are still mighty and the duck mask still reigns. But I realized that the eggplant and teal of yesteryear had indeed worn out its welcome and the logo was a little dated. So I added some modern touches to the logo (more specifically the crest behind the cross sticks and the mask) and changed the colors up a bit. To add uniqueness to the design, I took the route of the Memphis Grizzlies and Seattle Seahawks and created a new shade of blue, to go along with the Navy, Gold, and Silver I implemented for Anaheim. The shade of blue is a cross between powder blue and teal and is what I like to call "Anaheim Sky Blue". The new team colors, as aforementioned, are Navy, Anaheim Sky Blue, Gold and Silver. I was suprised to see that these new colors infact resembled the old colors somewhat and seemed like modernizations themselves, as im sure you will see in the concepts coming up. Last but not least, I ditched the front facing mask alternate logo and exchanged it for the interlocking "MD" worn on Anahiem's black alternates a few years ago. This of course is recolored to match the identity.

Team concepts that I display will be shown in alphabetical order by location, so depending on whether I decide to include them, Atlanta should be next.

With no further due, here are the new Anaheim MIGHTY Ducks!

l_e53647e2992043cab8db18eb4c66fc95.png

l_69bc013dc124479db241bd934c728a6a.png

l_3397a800398747bebf9bf2cf57826f4f.png

l_6d2ad542a8234f9d9fe4c4d017e99edf.png

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow man, I really like this. I've always been a fan of the Mighty Ducks logos & I for one think that the color scheme you picked really works with them. Great update. I'm just not a fan of the font that you used for the numbers and lettering. maybe go with their old fonts, recolored.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into some changes and perhaps take it back to the drawing board if necessary with Anaheim. I appreciate the C&C! I'll let you guys know if I have any updates on the Mighty Ducks, does anyone else have anything on the Anaheim concept?

In the meantime, I have finished Atlanta. This concept was alot of fun to make. I cant stand the mess Atlanta has right now as far as uniforms go, as all three of thier uniforms are different templates and in no way match. I LOVE Atlanta's powder blue uniforms, however, so I tried in this concept to finally establish an identity for Atlanta by centering around the template and colors used in Atlanta's powder blues. I made two small tweaks to the powder blues, by making the collar dual colored like it was pre-edge (powder blue on one side, navy on the other) and removing the lacing from underneath it. I made an away and alternate based on the powder blue, and will admit it may look out of the box a little but I really thought as unique as the design was, that it could help cement an identity for the Thrashers. I will also admit im kind of iffy on the alternate, not in a bad way but i'll just say its more of an experiment as of now. I still decided to post it to see what the feedback was.

I'll let you know what team comes next, I'm positive I wont do Boston because I believe theyre fine as is, im debating Buffalo right now however. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyways, here's Atlanta!

l_09316eb1c9ae42afb51e1345a984a0fe.png

l_0f2aef77deba40b0a5b35561b55bedce.png

l_43dc5d4819644f3b8d5e533a8008e830.png

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Anaheim: I like the use of the old logo... but I'm really, really not feeling the colour scheme. I'm particularly not a fan of the baby/powder/whatever it is blue.

Atlanta: And yet, I like the blue being used in this set, because it's one of their colours and the fans seem to like it. It's also nice to see some consistency across the uniforms, although maybe the alternate could be different.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The collar was never duel colour...ever

Are you sure? I couldve sworn it was. In my NHL 09 game, on all of the Thrashers player pictures they are wearing the powder blues and it seems like the collar is dual-colored. Maybe my eyes tricked me, but i was 99% sure that on those pics the collar was dual-colored.

Update: Buffalo is finished. I'll be putting it up here shortly.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Thanks again for the input, I think Anaheim according to you guys needs some work, so i will gladly think up some ways to change it up. May I ask, was the touching up of the logo good though?

As for Atlanta, as aforementioned, the white and the alternate were "experiments", so any and all honest feedback, remember, is totally and completely welcome and encouraged.

Now for perhaps the favorite of the ones I have done so far, Buffalo. Buffalo was the most fun to do because It was the only one that I had a clear idea of what I was doing the minute I started it. the other two sort of came along through time, but the Sabres were well in my head before I started this one today. My goal for this concept was to bring back the awesome classic logo we all love (un-touched, mind you) and build an identity around it that was suitable for today's era. I brought back the Buffalo head of the Hasek and Satan, and recolored it Blue and gold while minimalizing the detail to make it a more simpler logo, but still retain it's fierceness. The home and away are basically slightly modernized versions of the classic home and away, so not much change there but the alternate was another experiment. I tried to pay homeage to the Hasek and Satan era by making a uniform that resembled that era's uniform (with the Buffalo head as the main logo and focal point), but recolored to blue and gold and toned down a bit. I'm toying with the idea of possibly creating a 4th jersey for the Sabres, possibly gold in the style of the road and home.

Still contemplating on who comes next in the series, Im as of yet undecided if Carolina in my mind needs a change.

Heeere's Buffalo!

l_1ef955118d9545e9ac7aac56b6ab3208.png

l_cdc4552d7cdf448b96453dbf4416319e.png

l_ffe6f66c75974bf788f59a18b48f2489.png

l_467ebb45e652422786e521b8413ee812.png

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

I think youre right bmac, now that I look at it I do beleive stripes a the bottom would top it off. I can fix that :) any other C&C? What do you guys think of the Buffalo third?

Update: skipping Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, and Columbus. Heavily debating Dallas. Detroit i'll skip, Edmonton is another debate as well. I am for certain going to do concepts for Florida and Los Angeles (get ready for a return to the Gretzky era :) )

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Thanks bmac! I'll admit that that is the uniform I was most curious about as fear as feedback went, because of all the other concepts it was the one that was most different from the rrest of it's package, but im glad to hear it looks good, thanks again! And the Wild will come soon, probably later today after I post Florida and Los Angeles so be watching for it haha! :)

Now for part four of the series, Edmonton. I like what they have now, but I realize alot of fans miss the Oiler classics from their earlier days. I thought about it for a while and decided, why not? I'll go ahead and try it out. So I ditched the red and bronze (or whatever that is), lightened the navy just a tad and brought back orange. More importantly of course, I brought back the classic look for Edmonton. The alternate logo with the oil worker was recolored to fit the navy and orange identity and remains the alternate, and can be found on the shoulders of all three uniforms. The alternate was sort of an adventure, as I came across what appeared to be Edmonton's inagural uniforms. The jersey I based the alt on was orange and had mainly blue and white stipes, unfortunately I couldnt make out what the logo on the chest was, but it looked very similar to today's primary, if not the exact same logo. So I kept the primary on the chest, alternate logo on the shoulders, and left the rest as far as striping and colors went to what I could see on the apparent inagural.

As mentioned a few times before, Florida and Los Angeles are next, with Minnesota following after.

Here come the Oilers!

l_291e11c651cf450184b1c5ea15f0214a.png

l_e01184e6e43d4a0c8b2fc585216a1a23.png

l_eb1a937dd7b84f9295a74ca9e571fc37.png

l_457dee17097f49cba05b6c6ff9c2e140.png

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Anything on Edmonton, anybody?

Now for Florida. Florida was, suprisingly, the longest and most time consuming of all the concepts so far. This is because most of the time was spent brainstorming. I love the Panthers' logo, but I beleive all the jagged edges in it needed touching up. So I made small little tweaks to try and smoothen it out and update it a little. My approach for Florida was the idea that it wasnt so much the colors or identity i wanted to change, but the style of the uniform. thier edge unis were one of my personal dissapointments, as i believed they couldve had great potential with certain templates but instead went with another that less suits them in my opinion. Also, I wanted to see more red being used, much like the glory days of Vanbiesbrouck and the 96' cup run. So I chose a template I thought looked similar to thier old unis yet brought about a modern flair, and colored it accordingly. The real challenge for me was the alternate and the two new alternate logos I designed. For the alternate jersey, I wanted to create something different but with a classic sort of feel. I had the idea in my head for the main logo on the alternate to be a shield sort of logo, as it is not as widely used a style across the league. So I designed the Panther shield and built the uniform around it, trying to evoke some of Florida's old looks (the sleeve stipes) with a more classier look. And the last alternate logo, the claw clutching the state of Florida, sort of came to me in the middle of the concept. Id originally planned to use the Tree and hockey stick logo on the shoulders but then thought of ways to implement something more. I saw the claw on the primary logo and thought it fit just right for something (other than a hockey stick) to be held in it. the state of Florida came in my mind and the idea took off. I know i probably didnt draw it as well, but I sure did my best.

L.A. and Minnesota coming up.

And here are your Florida Panthers!

l_0b62f8f00129452186062f1e928bf7cd.png

l_72414fc562b64266a99848f9a09b70a4.png

l_afa1378b6d1841e0b8b8879d187da448.png

l_eb393b3dd8374518ad6cc7d35ccbe754.png

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

So your idea of a redesign is playing mix-n-match with different RBK edge templates, then just using the fill tool? About half of the nhl redesigns I have ever seen on here have involved using existing templates. This is no different, and you didn't really go out on a limb with any of these except maybe the Ducks (but the color scheme for the ducks ends up looking a lot like the Thrashers). Sabres has been done over and over again, same with Oilers, and the Thrashers road is just way, way worse than it is now. Sorry to be harsh, but none of these are improvements. Do something crazy. I just want to see a little creativity.

(P.S. the hem stripe on the Ducks third should go straight across, for a quick example look at the Sharks jerseys)

So your idea of a redesign is playing mix-n-match with different RBK edge templates, then just using the fill tool? About half of the nhl redesigns I have ever seen on here have involved using existing templates. This is no different, and you didn't really go out on a limb with any of these except maybe the Ducks (but the color scheme for the ducks ends up looking a lot like the Thrashers). Sabres has been done over and over again, same with Oilers, and the Thrashers road is just way, way worse than it is now. Sorry to be harsh, but none of these are improvements. Do something crazy. I just want to see a little creativity.

(P.S. the hem stripe on the Ducks third should go straight across, for a quick example look at the Sharks jerseys)

Thanks for the C&C I appreciate it, but have you loked at my Panthers third? Two completely new alt logos are featured, and the template I used isnt a current edge template at all. No edge template that I have seen has "V" stripes on the sleeve like the Florida third has. On the Buffalo third I also actually added to a template by adding a modernized shoulder yoke, so on some I have gone out on somewhat of a limb. I understand most have been more simpler changes but thats because I believe that is what is needed for those teams. Thanks again for the C&C I do appreciate it, but the seires is barely halfway through so be patient, i have already planned some out of the box things for some teams down the list, so just wait.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Archived