Philadelphia Hawks Aussie Rules

BB61

Alright, so most of you know that I play Australian Rules Football for the Philadelphia Hawks blah blah blah it's my favorite sport blah blah blah.

For the ten seasons of our existence, first as the Crows and later as the Hawks, we've worn hand-me-down uniforms from our parent club(s). When we were the Crows, we wore these from the first years of the Adelaide Crows' existence. Once we became the Hawks, we ended up with a smattering of jumpers from three different years. Meanwhile, just about every other club in the country were investing in their own uniforms, most of them designed by a Canadian company called Big Grab. They've done a lot of great designs for the other clubs, which you can check out here.

Last year, it was decided that we would finally invest the money for our own uniforms, just like everyone else. They were designed by long time Crow/Hawk Alex Kalajzich, who was the club's president last season. The identity of the club was established on our website, and everything from the letterheads to the business cards to, eventually, the uniforms themselves, would be based on this identity.

On May 30th the Hawks, and our new uniforms, made our debut. Hopefully I'll have some action shots, but for now, you get to see me pose in my apartment. ^_^

2009jumper.jpg

I think they turned out really awesome. The two things I'm not crazy about are the little artistic flair in the wings, and the fact that we have names on our jumpers (I'm a traditionalist -- footy jumpers are impersonal.)

What you can't see is the "Philadelphia" and "Hawks" down the sides of the shorts. We actually had to send the first batches of shorts back because "Philedelphia" (sic) ran up an over the seams.

And there you go. ^_^

philly.png

Other than the terrible model they look pretty sweet... Dude, Get some sun... :-)..

You also can't see that my shoulders are as tan as my shorts. ^_^

philly.png

I like the overall look, but it looks weird that the vertical stripes are broken up on the jumper. Definitely love the striped socks; wish we'd gone with some striped action on our Freeze kits back in the day, instead of plain navy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I freakin' LOVE how the stripes on the front of the shirt continue onto the shorts. These make yellow and brown look good?no easy feat.

I agree. That's the only reason why I like the stripes. I was worried that they were just going to be... there.

I like the overall look, but it looks weird that the vertical stripes are broken up on the jumper. Definitely love the striped socks; wish we'd gone with some striped action on our Freeze kits back in the day, instead of plain navy.

Yeah, every element of our identity has the interrupted stripes. I don't know why. Like I said, I think Alex got carried away with being artsy-fartsy with some aspects of it, but I like the overall look. And I'm really glad we went with the striped socks. They're my favorite aspect the of footy jumper.

philly.png

I agree with Mockba on the interrupted stripes. Would have liked them to be continuous, move the logo over and make it a bit smaller. And that too is pretty cool, even if not terribly original. Agree on the socks, too. Absolutely classic!

Maybe not for this thread, but why #61? Tribute to someone? Just a number you like?

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Maybe not for this thread, but why #61? Tribute to someone? Just a number you like?

I'm not sure, Scott. I'd love to tell you that there's a story behind it, but really, I just picked it one day when I was creating myself as a goalie in NHL '97, and it stuck. Actually, I lie -- I picked 60, but the next time I created myself in a game, I slipped and did 61. And I liked that better than 60. Not only that, but at the time, there really weren't that many people -- in any sport aside from football -- who wore 61. So I thought I was being original.

In picking my number, though, I narrowed it down to 61, 22 (which is what I wore last year), 45 (which I think just looks awesome on most jerseys), or 27 (which is my fiancé's favorite number). I ended up going with 61, even though it's a tad high for footy; the highest number I've seen in AFL is 52.

Though when people ask, I usually tell them, "well, I've always been thought of as an underachiever..." ^_^

philly.png

Admit it - you were an Eric "Pinky" Floyd fan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does everyone get their name on their jumpers?

No. Everyone had an opportunity to order their jumpers back in January, and I figured that everyone that did would get their name on back. The club ordered 25 extra jumpers with "Philadelphia" on the back so that it would look even.

philly.png

You also appear to have a strange skin condition on your right leg. I'd consult a dermatologist. ^_^

Oh and nice kit... although the broken stripes are a little jarring.

I hope you severely chastise all team-mates unable to correctly line up the stripes on their jumper and shorts.

liverpool-1.png

You also appear to have a strange skin condition on your right leg. I'd consult a dermatologist. ^_^

Well, it only took ten posts for someone to point out the fact that psoriasis hath done run rampant on my body. You think that's bad? Thank goodness I don't have my shirt off -- I look like a dalmatian. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow.

philly.png

Yeah now you mention it those elbows look rather textbook! What GMac said about the sun is probably right on the money in that case!

liverpool-1.png

Yeah now you mention it those elbows look rather textbook! What GMac said about the sun is probably right on the money in that case!

That, and move out of Philadelphia :P

That's a nice jumper, too bad you couldn't pull off something like 70's Atlanta Hawks jersey :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, it only took ten posts for someone to point out the fact that psoriasis hath done run rampant on my body. You think that's bad? Thank goodness I don't have my shirt off -- I look like a dalmatian. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow.

I know what you mean. My father has it much worse then you. It covers 80% of his body. When growing up my friends who would meet him for the first time always asked if he was burned in a fire. My sister has gotten it as well, though well behind you.

As for the number, maybe it's best not to have a story. Then one day someone will be wearing #61 and when asked will say, "Because Brian Barrish wore it, and I'm an underachiever, too." :P

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

While we're talking about the numbers, I think they turned out better than expected. I'm not a fan of "squat" number fonts, but this one turned out okay.

philly.png

I tell ya what Brian, about the only thing I have issue with on these is the name on the back. I can't pinpoint anything else that I don't like.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I tell ya what Brian, about the only thing I have issue with on these is the name on the back. I can't pinpoint anything else that I don't like.

That's because it looks like something you'dve designed, right? ^_^

philly.png

Archived