Kalamazoo Wings Leave IHL for ECHL

And this team's going to play in a thousand-seat rink?!? Man, Flint must really be near death right now.

Actually, it now appears they have simply secured the right to play once they get that proposed new arena of theirs built. Which is two to three years down the road.

Considering the tenuous, year-to-year, nay month-to-month nature of the notIHL's existence, I must ask if any money already has changed hands to facilitate this deal. If that is the case, I would like to know that person's identity, so as to properly call them a :censored: ing idiot.

Oh...and Flint isn't taking season ticket money. Allegedly because somebody was stealing money from them (or making up missed paychecks HEY-OH!!!). Why Flint has not simply redirected the funds to another account the hopefully former employee does not have access to remains unanswered. Instead we are faced with the extremely rare, nay hitherto unseen phenomenon of a purportedly operational minor league sports franchise not taking season ticket money when offered.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Press Conference Report

Here's my favorite quote from that press conference in Kalamazoo, from former IHL commissioner Paul Pickard:

?Now we are going to be able to plan three and five years out because we know that there?s going to be a league from year to year, that there are going to be strong memberships,? Pickard said.

:lol::blink:

That's pretty damning, especially coming from the former commissioner.

BJ, thanks for the link. I'll add it to my list of minor league news sites. They don't call it silly season for no reason. :P

Press Conference Report

Here's my favorite quote from that press conference in Kalamazoo, from former IHL commissioner Paul Pickard:

?Now we are going to be able to plan three and five years out because we know that there?s going to be a league from year to year, that there are going to be strong memberships,? Pickard said.

BJ, thanks for the link. I'll add it to my list of minor league news sites. They don't call it silly season for no reason. :P

No prob. And while you're at it, add the blog on the top of his blog roll...

I need to be careful with what I say, but the IHL is in some trouble.

Press Conference Report

Already had that one. :hockeysmiley:

I'm glad the Mudbugs are sticking around, outside of the Eagles they are as close as it gets to a CHL institution, imo.

Press Conference Report

I'm glad the Mudbugs are sticking around, outside of the Eagles they are as close as it gets to a CHL institution, imo.

Thanks for finding that blog, with the horrible URL.

And as for Bossier-Shreveport, I couldn't picture the league without them. They have some of the most passionate fans in the league and they're also pretty good every year.

I really am fearful for the future of the IHL. That region needs AA-level hockey, but I'm not sure how long this will last. If the Komets ever bolt, goodbye IHL.

And while I'm linking friends of mine, Greg Rajan of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times also has a great CHL blog.

http://blogs.caller.com/rajan/

Press Conference Report

Thanks for finding that blog, with the horrible URL.

And as for Bossier-Shreveport, I couldn't picture the league without them. They have some of the most passionate fans in the league and they're also pretty good every year.

I really am fearful for the future of the IHL. That region needs AA-level hockey, but I'm not sure how long this will last. If the Komets ever bolt, goodbye IHL.

And while I'm linking friends of mine, Greg Rajan of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times also has a great CHL blog.

http://blogs.caller.com/rajan/

I got it off a post on intotheboards' forums a while back. I'd be a bit embarrassed to admit how long it was before I figured out that I "knew" the writer. :blink:

I doubt the Komets ever leave. Iirc, there's some insurance flap or something with them and they'd rather stay out of any leagues that work with the PHPA.

I doubt the Komets ever leave. Iirc, there's some insurance flap or something with them and they'd rather stay out of any leagues that work with the PHPA.

Yeah, the Komets will never leave but Flint is on life support every year and Port Huron is as well (now with relocation rumors involving a market that can't possibly support any level of pro hockey). Muskegon now wants junior hockey for some reason. There are only so many markets Fort Wayne can prop up.

I should've linked this sooner.

For any and all info on the IHL, read my buddy Justin Cohn's blog. He's the beat writer for the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette and is THE guy for the IHL.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dl...ategory=BLOGS11

Could you please ask Mr. Cohn to inform the Frankes the following about the Peoria market.

1. Local ownership would not be forthcoming for any notIHL franchise, indeed, likely any hockey franchise in the event the Blues decide they would rather lose money in St. Charles as opposed to Peoria.

2. No fans would attend the games of the notRivermen/Prancers.

3. If the Blues decide to pull out, it is in the best interests of the market for it to lie fallow for a year or two, as opposed to having a disastrous hurry up team ruin it for the next five. I remember the Rough Riders. Indeed...I was one less than 500 who watched their last game. The difficulties the Pirates 2.0 have experienced the last two years are in a large part related to the fallout from the Rough Riders.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I should've linked this sooner.

For any and all info on the IHL, read my buddy Justin Cohn's blog. He's the beat writer for the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette and is THE guy for the IHL.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dl...ategory=BLOGS11

Could you please ask Mr. Cohn to inform the Frankes the following about the Peoria market.

1. Local ownership would not be forthcoming for any notIHL franchise, indeed, likely any hockey franchise in the event the Blues decide they would rather lose money in St. Charles as opposed to Peoria.

2. No fans would attend the games of the notRivermen/Prancers.

3. If the Blues decide to pull out, it is in the best interests of the market for it to lie fallow for a year or two, as opposed to having a disastrous hurry up team ruin it for the next five. I remember the Rough Riders. Indeed...I was one less than 500 who watched their last game. The difficulties the Pirates 2.0 have experienced the last two years are in a large part related to the fallout from the Rough Riders.

I'll let him know.

Archived