Miami Dolphins concept

rentz

Hello, I decided to take a little break from my D-League project to do a concept for my team, the Miami Dolphins. For me, the major design problems right now are:

-Navy, which I don't think has a place in our scheme;

-The drop-shadow letters, which I dislike greatly;

-the Logo, which is just too detailed; and

-the uniforms, which are just so boring.

So I decided to update them a little bit.

dls.png

The most obvious changes are the logo, with navy removed. I also removed the helmet, because it seemed outdated. It looked cool on the old logo, but today it just looks awkward.

The secondary is just a D that uses the classic sun motif. The wordmark is also new, and uses the D.

dolphinsuniforms.png

I wanted to try something new here. I've seen concepts utilizing the sun idea before, but they've just been too unwieldy, I think, for a uniform. So I tried to make them understated as a piping pattern. Rather than stripes, they become progressively larger until they are integrated into the collar. The pants use the pattern also. I also used the Arizona Cardinals font because, well, I like it, and I think it fits the team. (Whoops... ignore the pink "side view")

All C+C appreciated.

This looks great without the navy, and I really like that you sorta used a sun motif here. I don't see anything wrong with this. The jerseys look great.

Oh, and your away unis are... pink? Might wanna fix that.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Haha, thanks for the heads up. What happened was the color I was using that I thought was white was actually 255-239-255 on RGB, so it was slightly pink. I guess my monitor didn't pick it up. Have no fear, I am not trying to feminize the fish :P

The dolphin looks a bit plain without the navy detailing. As for the rest of it, the uniform seems to emphasize sun rather than dolphin.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I like the D-logo, very creative. While I appreciate you trying to eliminate navy, the dolphin looks too bland. Maybe add some screened back highlights so it's still technically a 2-color logo, but looks like 3-color. With the uniforms, I would simplify the sun spikes. All you need to imply the sun is two or three sweeping curves.

Now that I look at it more, the dolphin does look kinda plain. I think an easy way to fix that is to use the current logo, but replace navy with a slightly darker teal. That way you could eliminate navy, while still giving the logo a shadowing effect.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Hello, I decided to take a little break from my D-League project to do a concept for my team, the Miami Dolphins. For me, the major design problems right now are:

-Navy, which I don't think has a place in our scheme;

-The drop-shadow letters, which I dislike greatly;

-the Logo, which is just too detailed; and

-the uniforms, which are just so boring.

So I decided to update them a little bit.

dls.png

The most obvious changes are the logo, with navy removed. I also removed the helmet, because it seemed outdated. It looked cool on the old logo, but today it just looks awkward.

The secondary is just a D that uses the classic sun motif. The wordmark is also new, and uses the D.

dolphinsuniforms.png

I wanted to try something new here. I've seen concepts utilizing the sun idea before, but they've just been too unwieldy, I think, for a uniform. So I tried to make them understated as a piping pattern. Rather than stripes, they become progressively larger until they are integrated into the collar. The pants use the pattern also. I also used the Arizona Cardinals font because, well, I like it, and I think it fits the team.

All C+C appreciated.

I like the fact you've gone more throwback with the colours, I dont really have anything against the navy in the current Dolphins sets but this certainly has a more classical Dolphins feel to it.

Couple of things I'd look at, having Miami in exaclty the same font and style as Dolphins is imo too much of a good thing if you will. It doesn't quite fit into the space between the D and the ascender on the H due to all the outlines etc. I'd look to use a simpler font for Miami and try placing it where you have it just now or probably underneath the Dolphins text in the space after the descender on the P and the end of the wordmark. I know you'd probably prefer to have it read Miami Dolphins but other teams (Broncos being one) have it this way round as it looks more comfortable.

I like combining the sun (although I'd always been led to believe it was a hoop of fire the dolphin was jumping through) with the D but your offset paths need work to tidy them up right now they are way off particularly on the one second from the top. You also have a rogue spike on the top of the S which needs removing.

On first look I really wasn't keen on the fact you'd removed the helmet, but I went away for a few hours came back and reviewed it again and on second viewing it didn't bother me that much. But if you are going to remove it you need to make some kind of nod to the blowhole on the top of a Dolphins head just to break up the large expanse of solid colour you have where the helmet used to be. I'd also look at adding a few more highlights to the body or enlarging the ones you have already as the Dolphin is looking a little flat just now. I'd look to move the Dolphin up slightly with in the sun shape as well as the removal of the helmet means he no longer bursts as far out the top of the circle as he did in the past.

I like the uniforms in so much as you've tied them once again to the sun shape used in the logo and in the D, they are certainly cleaner and less cluttered than the Dolphins current uni's but not sure if I'd buy one. You're also going to have to add 6 inch TV numbers somewhere as NFL regulations stipulate that all uniforms must have them.

Good start though, I look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Thanks for all the comments. In hindsight, the dolphin is incredibly plain, so I decided to add some more details to it. I took the suggestion of the poster to add a dark teal; though typically I am apprehensive about using colors in logos that don't appear in the rest of the set I think it helps the logo and I didn't want to add navy. I was, well, inspired by the logo that Quillz posted, but mine is entirely my own work apart from some lifted elements from that one.

Sorry about the somewhat sloppy job with the wordmark; I hadn't realized the paths were messed up, which lead to the wonky spikes on the strokes. I fixed it. After trying Miami in many fonts and positions around the Dolphins wordmark, I couldn't find anything that didn't look awkward so I dropped it and made it just Dolphins.

Here's the updated logos.

dls-1.png

Uniform update should be up soon.

All C+C is welcome.

Uniform Update!

dolphinsuniforms.png

Obviously, I added the newer logo. I also added the TV numbers to the sleeves. I made the numbers have a double stripe, sort of like the Florida Gators. I toned down the pants stripe a little bit as well.

Also included in this update is... ACTION TEMPLATES!

finsqbs.png

Sorry about the front jersey number... I'm using inkscape and I don't know how to change the number font on the jersey. So the TV numbers are more indicative of how it would really look.

... And as I'm posting this I realize the pant stripes on the action template has one fewer 'sunray' than the actual ones... sorry for the little mistake.

All C+C is welcomed!

i dont generally comment on concepts, because i know nothing about actually designing anything, but i really like this one and wanted to add my two cents. first, i think the "sun-striping" on the jerseys is super-creative and very well executed. to me, the dolphin himself looks a lil naked without the helmet, but thats a personal preference thing. one thing i would like to see would be a set of aqua pants. while both those sets are awesome, we know that they wear white at home a lot and ive always liked when they used white/white for either home/away and white/aqua for the other. as i said, though, great work and fun to see a really good fins concept as we approach what will most likely be a new look for the team under new ownership in the next year or so.

everton.png

Thanks for all the comments. In hindsight, the dolphin is incredibly plain, so I decided to add some more details to it. I took the suggestion of the poster to add a dark teal; though typically I am apprehensive about using colors in logos that don't appear in the rest of the set I think it helps the logo and I didn't want to add navy. I was, well, inspired by the logo that Quillz posted, but mine is entirely my own work apart from some lifted elements from that one.

Sorry about the somewhat sloppy job with the wordmark; I hadn't realized the paths were messed up, which lead to the wonky spikes on the strokes. I fixed it. After trying Miami in many fonts and positions around the Dolphins wordmark, I couldn't find anything that didn't look awkward so I dropped it and made it just Dolphins.

dls-1.png

All C+C is welcome.

I have to say I really like this. You really did improve upon the "dolphin without the helmet" idea, and it shows. I think it's nearly as good as the real logo. Good work.

dls-1.png

All C+C is welcome.

I have to say I really like this. You really did improve upon the "dolphin without the helmet" idea, and it shows. I think it's nearly as good as the real logo. Good work.

I appreciate the idea, but i think the helmet looks alot better. Id just toy with improving the helmet...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

dls-1.png

All C+C is welcome.

I appreciate the idea, but i think the helmet looks alot better. Id just toy with improving the helmet...

I think the actual "dolphin with helmet" logo looks better, too, but this is really nice. Not a bad alternative at all.

am not even a phins fan and i love these much better than the ones they got now awesome job

1 more thing how did u get that template i cant find a blank 1 like that

260bdzt.jpg

Hopefully i can add another banner this year

Go Wings!!! Go 49ers!!! Go Cavs!!! Go Tigers!!! Go Blue!!!

Archived