Toronto Group Seeks NHL Expansion Franchise

TAFKAK

team name: Toronto Legacy :rolleyes:

to play out of a 30,000 seat arena???

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280969

TORONTO - A new Toronto-based group has come forward with a proposal to launch a second NHL franchise in Toronto in time for the 2012-13 season.

The Toronto Legacy Group, led by founder Andrew Lopez, laid out its vision at a news conference Tuesday, suggesting that C$1 billion in financing is already in place for the proposed expansion team.

The team would be known as the Toronto Legacy, and would play out of a proposed 30,000-seat arena built at Downsview Park, located in the north of the Greater Toronto Area.

The group has proposed that 25 per cent of its annual net profits will be divided amongst charitable foundations and non-profit organizations.

Lopez says his group is not affiliated with Blackberry billionaire Jim Balsillie, who is looking to relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton.

zzPEfBm.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a huge fan of singular team names, and this isn't any different. They surely could have come up with something better than the Legacy. Plus it would look bad if that's your team name and your a losing franchise.

EDIT: Are those unis black or dark gray/charcoal? If it's gray, then I really like that color combo. But that the only thing.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

A thirty thousand seat arena. Are they trying to lure Toronto FC to play indoors?

Fifteen thousand seats under $50. (They all face backward, however, and the next-cheapest seat is $7,000.)

And they have a billion dollars at the ready. Okay, on paper. Post-it notes, to be precise.

How much airplane glue is this group passing around? And who's dumb enough to buy in on this?

(Oh, and the name sucks, the logo is unprofessional and looks like an American flag shield, and apparently no one involved has heard of this "Reebok Edge" thing that's going around...)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

there are renderings of the new arena on the site as well but I'm not sure how to paste them here. This whole thing looks somewhat rushed and thrown together at the last minute....which I suspect it was.

The building itself is a little out there, oddly geometric, and rather ridiculous looking. I like the overall layout of the facilities, with the outdoor ice pads, toboggan hill, and the grounds around the arena, including apartments. I think it's a bit of an adventurous task, but it seems to be well thought out. The renderings aren't very good though, I'll agree with that.

there are renderings of the new arena on the site as well but I'm not sure how to paste them here. This whole thing looks somewhat rushed and thrown together at the last minute....which I suspect it was.

The building itself is a little out there, oddly geometric, and rather ridiculous looking. I like the overall layout of the facilities, with the outdoor ice pads, toboggan hill, and the grounds around the arena, including apartments. I think it's a bit of an adventurous task, but it seems to be well thought out. The renderings aren't very good though, I'll agree with that.

I should clarify, that "well thought out" does not mean do-able! This seems like a fairy tale at best.

Despite their importance to members of this community, the fact that the group is looking at logos and jerseys at this point in the process really leads me to believe this is a two-bit circus that will never get off the ground. They should have a lot of other broad strokes they need to nail down before they ever worry about logos and jerseys.

Think that is all smoke and mirrors.. blah crap to that...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I'm all for more Canadian teams in the NHL...

But seriously, "Toronto Legacy" is WAAAAAY too abstract. They shoulda been the Toronto Legends (more concrete, plus you've still got the whole "vision" concept).

bYhYmxh.png

"...anna den we're gonna putta team on da moooooooooon!!!"

Picture1-2.png

"This is the moon blowing up, and this is me smiling!"

Let's see, where did I put that Ulodium pew-36 space modulator??????? Oh yeah, about 3:27 into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X-t4en2wPE

Wait a minute...Is Canada trying to blow up the USA? (Because we block their view of Mexico?)

No, but NASA is going to blow it up when there's a full moon, so they make sure to get it all.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Picture1-2.png

Let's see, where did I put that Ulodium pew-36 space modulator??????? Oh yeah, about 3:27 into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X-t4en2wPE

Wait a minute...Is Canada trying to blow up the USA? (Because we block their view of Mexico?)

Correction: It's not Canada, it's Canuckistan :rolleyes:

A 30 000 seat arena? There better all have cup holders :P I hope they keep the colours at least.

I saw, I came, I left.

Picture1-2.png

No, but NASA is going to blow it up when there's a full moon, so they make sure to get it all.

Why are we worried about blowing up the moon when there are so many things to blow up here? We're Earthlings, we should blow up Earth things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i would much rather see winnipeg get the jets back first before toronto gets another team. id actually like to see hartford and quebeq to get thier teams back first also.

i like the skyline on the bottom of the logo though.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

What Legacy are they talking about? A legacy of widely-spaced lettering that shrinks disproportionately relative to the banner?

If they've really got a billion bucks in backing, then this logo is the branding equivalent of Bill Gates' bad haircut.

Saw this announced elsewhere, and thought I'd pop in to share my thoughts. Good to see things are still running smoothly 'round these parts.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

They can design logos and sweaters all they want, but first they need a team. Who is to say Bettman and the BOG want any expansion teams at this point.

They gonna start building this arena before they are awarded? If not then who's to say when the NHL would get around to voting on expansion and awarding the expansion rights, should they approve it.

Saying the arena can be done for the 2012 season is a bit much. Do they own the land and have contractors lined up? If the NHL waits another year to decide on expansion that would push back their timeline, I'd think.

This whole thing, as "nice" as it sounds, is a bit far fetched for me to buy.

Hey, good luck to them, but it's a long way from being realistic.

Meanwhile, us hockey fans in the Kansas City area sit and wait with an arena ready to go....now!

Archived