Toronto Group Seeks NHL Expansion Franchise

TAFKAK

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd also suggest going with a different color scheme; perhaps a palette of Green, Silver, Charcoal Grey and White.

Sorry to go off topic, but what is this board's strange facination with charcoal grey? The only teams I can think of that use it are the Philly Eagles and the Toronto Blackjays, and IMO on those two unis, it sucks.

I can't speak for anyone else, but there's no "strange fascination" on my part. I simply thought that a lighter, Kelly-like shade of Green would be nicely-complemented by Silver, Charcoal Grey and White. Given that the Kelly Green, Silver and White would all be somewhat lighter in tone, I felt that a darker color would be needed for contrast. Black struck me as somewhat generic, so... voila... Charcoal Grey.

I can't see Toronto having two hockey teams,...

Montreal, definitely. They've done it before. (Habs and Maroons, Habs and Wanderers)

So, what's your take on the "Hamilton Franchise" then? Would that be successful? What would be the difference in 49 minutes drive time between a 2nd club in Toronto and a club in Hamilton that would make one more successful than the other?

Just wanted to ask that question about proximity and success.

Maybe its a serious idea, and they are trying to get it out quickly to jump all over the Balsille moving the Coyotes to Hamilton story? They do seem unusually organised for an expansion team, and the thought of 2 teams in the Toronto area might make this less likely to happen.

30,000 does strike me as a huge arena. I don't know how it compares to others in North America, but the o2 in London is 20,000 and despite a decent layout, always seems to me that the nose bleed seats are quite a long way from the action.

Personally, if as I suspect it is a Balsille's relocated Coyotes vs this, although I like the whole charity thing, I would still prefer a Hamilton Blackberries (or whatever they call themselves) to a Toronto Legacy. Leave Toronto to the Leafs, and exploit the small town vs big city thing to create a new canadian hockey rivalry would be my choice.

The first thing I suspected right away was that this proposed team is just a fabrication of the NHL, thrown together as a lame attempt to try and scare away Balsillie. The whole thing - especially, but not just the logo - just seems so slapdash, and conveniently announced just as the Coyotes bankruptcy/sale is heating up. Could it be the NHL is privately afraid they're not going to prevail in bankruptcy court, and could actually be forced into a shotgun wedding with Mr. Blackberry?

As for the proposed huge-@$$ arena, didn't the Red Wings propose something like a 29,000-seater about 10-15 years ago to replace the Joe?

CCSLC signature.png

besides all of the other things mentioned that are wrong with this logo... this is another that really bugs me... i wish i could get a better shot of their jersey to see if it looks like this as well if so.... GET BETTER... whatever happened to clean lines... then again this logo is a train wreck...

legacrap.gif

What's with the arbitrary use of a black outline around parts of the top parts of the sticks? On the right, it wraps around the entire top part, but on the left, only half of it. If there's an outline on the top part, why not the bottom?

The bottom right part of where the banner turns in is also messed up. This really wasn't a well-designed or vetted design, and frankly, speaks volumes for the competency of this group. Everyone has different tastes in design, but some things are black-white, right-wrong, good-bad. This thing is bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is SO bad.

Add to the list of complaints, what is with the shield. I know other sports teams use it, and I know the NHL and NHL logo use it, but in hockey, the shield belongs to the Rangers. The Rangers have been using the shield in their logo since they started. That's a legacy...not this joke.

Also see some resemblance to the Brooklyn Americans logo as well:

NYAmericsBrook.gif

70389454.png

This is SO bad.

Add to the list of complaints, what is with the shield. I know other sports teams use it, and I know the NHL and NHL logo use it, but in hockey, the shield belongs to the Rangers. The Rangers have been using the shield in their logo since they started. That's a legacy...not this joke.

Also see some resemblance to the Brooklyn Americans logo as well:

NYAmericsBrook.gif

as bad as it is... you are stretchin with the resemblance to the americans logo...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

http://www.torontolegacys.com/

I hope these guys incorporated. They might see themselves get muscled out of a domain name soon.

I have to agree with an earlier post. Seems a little pretentious to call yourselves a Legacy when you have no history of your own. And with all this talk about a second Toronto team hurting Buffalo more than the Leafs, I really don't see this happening.

besides all of the other things mentioned that are wrong with this logo... this is another that really bugs me... i wish i could get a better shot of their jersey to see if it looks like this as well if so.... GET BETTER... whatever happened to clean lines... then again this logo is a train wreck...

legacrap.gif

What's with the arbitrary use of a black outline around parts of the top parts of the sticks? On the right, it wraps around the entire top part, but on the left, only half of it. If there's an outline on the top part, why not the bottom?

The bottom right part of where the banner turns in is also messed up. This really wasn't a well-designed or vetted design, and frankly, speaks volumes for the competency of this group. Everyone has different tastes in design, but some things are black-white, right-wrong, good-bad. This thing is bad.

Not to mention, the use of a maple leaf anywhere on that crest is surely not something that will go without a fight. Country symbol or not, it's the prominent design element of that other Toronto team.

I think Toronto can support two teams. After all, here in the NY metro area we have three teams (actually 2 1/2 as the Islanders are run like a minor league franchise). Hamilton makes much more sense. If Buffalo fans don't want a Hamilton franchise, screw it. It only makes for a great rivalry. That will sell enough tickets right there and then.

You do realize that at one time the AFL was aiming to put a team in Chicago, right? So if that happened, we'd likely have Chicago AFC and NFC teams.

Maybe its a serious idea, and they are trying to get it out quickly to jump all over the Balsille moving the Coyotes to Hamilton story? They do seem unusually organised for an expansion team, and the thought of 2 teams in the Toronto area might make this less likely to happen.

30,000 does strike me as a huge arena. I don't know how it compares to others in North America, but the o2 in London is 20,000 and despite a decent layout, always seems to me that the nose bleed seats are quite a long way from the action.

Personally, if as I suspect it is a Balsille's relocated Coyotes vs this, although I like the whole charity thing, I would still prefer a Hamilton Blackberries (or whatever they call themselves) to a Toronto Legacy. Leave Toronto to the Leafs, and exploit the small town vs big city thing to create a new canadian hockey rivalry would be my choice.

The first thing I suspected right away was that this proposed team is just a fabrication of the NHL, thrown together as a lame attempt to try and scare away Balsillie. The whole thing - especially, but not just the logo - just seems so slapdash, and conveniently announced just as the Coyotes bankruptcy/sale is heating up. Could it be the NHL is privately afraid they're not going to prevail in bankruptcy court, and could actually be forced into a shotgun wedding with Mr. Blackberry?

As for the proposed huge-@$$ arena, didn't the Red Wings propose something like a 29,000-seater about 10-15 years ago to replace the Joe?

Actually, there is a rumor floating around that this whole "Toronto Legacy" thing is ACTUALLY put together by the NHL in order to get Balsillie to back off on the whole Phoenix situation. I've had a few conversations about it, but I've also heard mention of it on the radio too.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think Toronto can support two teams. After all, here in the NY metro area we have three teams (actually 2 1/2 as the Islanders are run like a minor league franchise). Hamilton makes much more sense. If Buffalo fans don't want a Hamilton franchise, screw it. It only makes for a great rivalry. That will sell enough tickets right there and then.

You do realize that at one time the AFL was aiming to put a team in Chicago, right? So if that happened, we'd likely have Chicago AFC and NFC teams.

George Halas would have never allowed the merge to go down if the Chicago AFL team stayed in Chicago post merge.

Any second Toronto team is going to be like the LA Clippers.

George Halas would have never allowed the merge to go down if the Chicago AFL team stayed in Chicago post merge.

Any second Toronto team is going to be like the LA Clippers.

If we use that analogy we also have to point out that the Maple Leafs aren't exactly the LA Lakers.

thecatch.jpg

Archived