Red Sox Letters & Numerals

andrewharrington

First off, I've long thought that the Red Sox made a huge mistake when they altered their script (in the late 1970s, I believe). The old lettering was a little bit skinnier, more uniform and less wonky than the current script. The letters were better constructed and much more attractive. In addition, there really aren't very many good sets of Red Sox letters out there for people to use on their concepts. The MLB Tuscan font is inadequate, as are most of the other places that you can find Red Sox-style lettering. Today, however, that has changed, because I drew a set of professional-looking capital letters based on the old, well-loved Red Sox lettering, in all possible color schemes. If you want vectors just to have them, you'll have to trace them yourself, because I'm not sending them out willy nilly. I will, however, send them out to someone who wants to use the vectors to make an OpenType font. Enjoy. There's numbers, too, for the hey of it.

redsoxletters.png

redsoxnumerals.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, there's an E in Red Sox, and that's that's how it looks, so I'm kind of tied to that for the most part, because the F and L are based off the E. The K, I agree, does look odd, as do some others, but a good deal of imagination is required for some of these. The angled letters probably translate the worst, in my opinion (A, K, V, W, Y, etc.). When you're working with such strange lettering, certain pieces and parts are almost always going to look awkward.

Brian, Jaffe's going to make a font, too, but I'll send out the vectors to you tonight as well. I need to tweak a few small things first.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, there's an E in Red Sox, and that's that's how it looks, so I'm kind of tied to that for the most part, because the F and L are based off the E. The K, I agree, does look odd, as do some others, but a good deal of imagination is required for some of these. The angled letters probably translate the worst, in my opinion (A, K, V, W, Y, etc.). When you're working with such strange lettering, certain pieces and parts are almost always going to look awkward.

Brian, Jaffe's going to make a font, too, but I'll send out the vectors to you tonight as well. I need to tweak a few small things first.

I wasn't saying what you did, but actually seeing the letters individually and I guess "out of context" some are a little odd. You did an amazing job though.

I wasn't saying what you did, but actually seeing the letters individually and I guess "out of context" some are a little odd. You did an amazing job though.

Oh, I completely understand. To me, if you're the Red Sox, it's like you have this awesome B, then when you go to make a matching font out of it, you're stuck, because none of the other letters really look as good as that B. Kind of disappointing, but I still like the quirkiness of these letters and how unique they are, even if the letters themselves can be quite ugly at times. BTW, a little update. I made a few last minute tweaks and sent these letters and numbers off to Eriq Jaffe to create a font of these characters. No timetable on completion at this point.

• 1 year later...

Cant believe I missed this thread the first time around. It is a beautiful font, and if it was ever made into an OT or TT I'll be first in line...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived