Bad news out of Storrs

Sodboy13

This has not been a good week for BBTV and college football unis. And this news disappoints the hell out of me too - UConn's look was one of the best and most distinct on the gridiron.

Article (link courtesy UniWatch)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...pretty much going from one of the best looks in college football to a Penn State clone. Nice. Wonderful. <_< But why, though?

One of the elements I love best about UConn's (soon-to-be-former) look was the way in which they incorporated such a long word onto the fronts of those jerseys. Seeing the arched wordmark automatically brought back memories of several older black college football uniforms, namely Alabama A&M's jerseys of the 70s. And, it made me wonder why we don't see that kind of treatment more often. (Granted, "Connecticut" is a long word, but still...)

...well, guess all that's left is to see these things unveiled somewhere down the line.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow, this is horrible.

As mentioned, UCONN had my favorite NCAA uniforms. I thought it was the ultimate example of a classic-contemporary look. I loved the unique arched lettering on the front, loved the helmet, and thought that all the piping / striping was very tastefully done. They looked unique, in a good way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bad new indeed! I liked the way they incorporated white in a way that made the unique shade of grey really stand out. The only thing that I can think that would be worse is if Army changed their uniforms (especially to those camo ones we saw in the navy game).

ncf_a_dbutler_400.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

If I had to speculate, I'd say that they are getting rid of silver altogether (more like Penn State, like the article said). I'd also bet that they have white pants and blue pants, and they have some sort of design on them (maybe like Boise State?). I'd guess that the helmet will be the same. And there probably is some piping on the jersey somewhere.

Bad new indeed! I liked the way they incorporated white in a way that made the unique shade of grey really stand out. The only thing that I can think that would be worse is if Army changed their uniforms (especially to those camo ones we saw in the navy game).

ncf_a_dbutler_400.jpg

Look at that picture. Even you "traditionalists" who hate pants like the AZ Cardinals and Vikings have to admit that those are very sharp and classy, despite being "modern".

Also, good call on the white. They made the white and silver work perfectly together.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ncf_a_dbutler_400.jpg

Look at that picture. Even you "traditionalists" who hate pants like the AZ Cardinals and Vikings have to admit that those are very sharp and classy, despite being "modern".

Also, good call on the white. They made the white and silver work perfectly together.

I love the pants. I just always thought that the striping on the jersey was too much. I thought with a fairly modern font the rest could be simple. I always like to mesh modern and traditional, but that is just a personal preference. That's why I like the modern font with no outline.

BringBackTheVet said:
Mingjai said:

I am a traditonalist (HATE the Vikes pants) and I do like these uniforms. Unique without being gaudy. That's rare.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm all for traditional, except when a move in that direction discards a great uniform already in place.

Connecticut's uniforms were among the best in college football. Now they will just look like a clone of a great uniform, which in my eyes drops them out of the great uniform bracket.

Poor decision, UConn...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yeah, this is lame. UConn had some great uniforms before. They're a NIKE school, IIRC? It's like Nike can't get it right. Either they're too futuristic or too simple. They can't seem to find the medium with their designs as of late.

Hmmmm...

What is interesting is I sent them an email a few months ago because I had an idea for their uniforms. I always thought there current ones were too busy and I go to campus a lot to watch my sister in law play for the field hockey team so I took a shot. I wonder if they liked my idea.

UconnFootball.jpg

It's not too bad, but your's look a little too bland for my taste (especially the tops) and the color balance between white and gray is weird when you don't have any white in the jersey itself. The ones they have now flow nicely from pants to jersey and jersey to helmet, with the fonts and striping styles. I'll agree with everyone, I'll be sad to see these go.

I'm going to disagree with you all as I thought UConn was one of the more cluttered jerseys and I have not cared at all for this "modern" look at all. To me if they went plain blue and white, it'd be 1,000 times better than the clutter they have been wearing.

I'm going to disagree with you all

Quick, everyone! Feign surprise!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Count me in with the majority here, surprisingly. Loved the UConn look...and from what I'm hearing....I'll soon be snoring. Not cool.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived