Bad news out of Storrs

Sodboy13

The stripe around the shoulders stops mid chest?!?! The pants are just the same stupid template Miami wore last year. These are are downgrade for sure. Is that the Huskie logo on the neck line, or just the C logo? Either way they really dropped the ball with this update.

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible to improve upon perfection.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Definite downgrade.

That said, these don't look NEARLY as bad as I initially feared. Really glad they held onto their number font, though that chest cript will be dearly missed (by me).

The piping being cut off @ the seam panel is just goofy as hell to me, and it looks like any and all traces of silver (gray?) are gone. Still, overall, not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be, but nowhere NEAR as good as what they had.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Says the man who thinks they're no such thing as a perfect NHL logo.

Fair enough.

Howabout

It's extremely difficult to improve upon excellence. My feelings for the now old uniform have already been made clear in this thread. While I'm sure there's something that could have been done to improve them, they were IMO the most well designed uniform in all of NCAA. Unique, instantly identifiable, modern, yet classic. Definitely going to miss the arced lettering on the front.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fair enough.

Howabout

It's extremely difficult to improve upon excellence. My feelings for the now old uniform have already been made clear in this thread. While I'm sure there's something that could have been done to improve them, they were IMO the most well designed uniform in all of NCAA. Unique, instantly identifiable, modern, yet classic. Definitely going to miss the arced lettering on the front.

That sounds like a page straight outta my book. ^_^

Great minds think alike, I suppose.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Fair enough.

Howabout

That sounds like a page straight outta my book. ^_^

Great minds think alike, I suppose.

I've been extolling the virtues of that uniform around these parts for a long time, son.

andrew, I like yours a lot, but the red just seems...off. I think it's mainly the font I don't like for it. The nameplate and numbers seem too thin. Also, the the four elements of the uniform all have different stripe styles, I prefer a uniform that has unified striping. The helmet has no stripes, the jersey has a USC style curved stripe, the pants have a two colored stripe straight stripe, and the socks have 3 adidas style hoops. Just makes no sense to me.

As for what they unveiled...ew. I'd rather see them in Penn State plain uniforms. The piping just ends halfway down the jersey. What the hell? And I usually love all white uniforms, but that one just looks disgusting for some reason.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree. Think about it this way, though: you say you like a uniform with unified striping, but I'm not sure you completely grasp the fact that the striping doesn't have to match to be 'unified,' because I think my striping is unified as well, not with the other stripes, perhaps, but with other elements of the uniform. I used to have the same ideals as you in that I thought all the stripes and outlines had to match and coordinate just so to make a perfect uniform. What I've learned, though, is how bland and lifeless those uniforms are. It's the quirks and inconsistencies in a uniform that really bring it to life and add unique character that matching stripes can simply not provide.

For example, at first glance, you stated this UConn set has 3 different stripe styles and dismissed it because you prefer the aforementioned 'unified' striping. But, look a little closer, and you can see how the individual parts relate to each other to create a cohesive, 'unified' whole that has much more style and character than the navy, grey and white set that UConn had previously used, which had what I think you mean by 'unified striping.' I used those same stylish numerals from the old set, and colored them to coordinate with the block C and pant trim which both have the same red outline. Then you have the shoulder stripes and sock stripes, along with the Connecticut nameplate and player nameplate, which are all different in form, but are unified with color, being just solid grey or blue, no outline. The stocky Connecticut text is like the block C, while the player nameplate uses a more condensed letterform similar to the numerals.

A uniform should never simply be about matching all its parts. That's the easy way out and rarely is it the best solution. That's just not how design is effectively taught, learned or mastered. It's a perfectionist's way of thinking. Rather, it behooves the designer to exercise and develop the contrasts of the elements and how they relate to one another, be it through size, style, color, form, or some other characteristic.

I was in a bit of a design rut when I started to think this way, and it really opened up a ton of possibilities that would have never flown with me before. There are so many options available to you once you break open the box and take a step outside the status quo. I've learned a lot, like one-color numbers can look really elegant and modern if you treat the rest of the uniform the right way, and numbers that aren't white can add a whole lotta life to a home uniform. The possibilities are endless, but not until you can remove yourself from the typical constraints of the 'matching' and the 'unified.'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

To me, a uniform should be just that - uniform. It doesn't always mean having all the stripes match up and are the exact same. It just feels odd to me when all of the different aspects of the uniform are different. There's no real identity to it. it's just a mish mash of stripes and pipes and thingamajigs.

But like I said, I like your concept. It's an improvement over what they unveiled and what they had, because I'm one of the few who hated their old ones.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

These are definately a downgrade. I feel like when you see these on TV you won't think "UConn". It just looks like another Nike school with piping. The old uniforms were unique, there's not really anything about these that are unique. One bad thing about Nike is that when they do get one of their modern designs right, they just change it up after a few years. It's like if you're not Penn State or USC you have to change your uniforms every 5 or so years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

As for what they unveiled...ew. I'd rather see them in Penn State plain uniforms. The piping just ends halfway down the jersey. What the hell? And I usually love all white uniforms, but that one just looks disgusting for some reason.

Agreed on all counts. Thanks for saving me some keystrokes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived