Bad news out of Storrs

Sodboy13

To me, a uniform should be just that - uniform. It doesn't always mean having all the stripes match up and are the exact same. It just feels odd to me when all of the different aspects of the uniform are different. There's no real identity to it. it's just a mish mash of stripes and pipes and thingamajigs.

But like I said, I like your concept. It's an improvement over what they unveiled and what they had, because I'm one of the few who hated their old ones.

Fair enough, but I do think that the term 'uniform' in this context (as in a team's home uniform) refers not to the individual parts of the outfit being alike, but that all the players are alike, or 'in uniform,' so to speak.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UCONN Site photo gallery

People's aversion to the striping not withstanding, I think there are a few positives here that should be noted.

I like that they move to blue and white and got rid of the gray. The state colors are blue and white and it seems like 60% of the high schools colors have blue and white in it, so I think it makes them cleaner.

I think moving away from the condensed font will really help readability. I don't like them looking so similar to Oregon State, but the condensed font made it tough from the stands at times to read certain numbers from afar.

My pet peeves in general:

I don't like the "C" being the only element they ever use. I am not sure why some teams at UCONN use the husky on the uni's and others avoid it like the plague. I also am not crazy that some teams are red, white and blue, some teams are blue and white and some teams are blue, gray and white and some teams are red, white and blue on the white jersey and blue, white and gray on the colored one. They should all have the same color combos in one frm or another and they should all try to have some of the same branding elements present no matter what.

I really wish I could have seen the looks on board posters' faces when these "Penn State-esque" jerseys debuted. Seriously, high comedy right there. I like the pants quite a bit, and don't mind the piping all that much. Slight upgrade IMOP, but again, the annoyance must have been priceless...

ducks-large.jpg

Glad to see that these are not Penn State knockoffs.

The piping and striping is a little wacky, but the helmet and numbers are solid, and the jerseys are still bold and distinctive.

Downgrade over what they had I think...but this isn't OKC Thunder/Buffaslug/Dead-Admiral bad by any means.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Why does the piping on the jersey just end? There's no continuity whatsoever. I thought it was a bad move to move to Penn-State-esque unis... but that isn't what these are at all! a solid blue helmet and jersey and white pants would be better than this monstrosity.

It looks like the striping just "ends" because that's where it hits the side panel that is made up of some other kind of "space age" material. It's possible that Nike just puts the piping there so that it ends and provides a visiual cue that there's some kind of high-tech fabric there. If it was solid navy, then to the casual observer, it might as well just be one solid piece of fabric.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The removal of the gray/silver from the uniform

Dislikes:

The Removal of "Connecticut" from the front of the jersey

The piping

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I actually like it. I did not like the large, arched "Connecticut" wordmark. I like the gray-less colors and the superfluous extra white outlining around the numbers. The pants striping and the jersey piping are a bit weird, but not too tacky. I actually think this is a minor upgrade of what was a pretty decent look. I was disappointed when the thread first surfaced because I figured it'd be much worse.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm reluctant to say... that I actually kinda like these. The piping is pretty good, but I don't like how it randomly ends; otherwise this is pretty good. And how on earth did they think that this looks like Penn State other than the color scheme?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Piping notwithstanding, still a nicer uni because it's cleaner.

But I still don't get why they try with the "C" on the helmets when the "UConn" wordmark from the basketball teams already has built-in recognition and value.

Piping is just thin striping...

Except that unlike "striping", "piping" generally follows the seams of the garment, and is generally "3d" (for lack of a better term) than striping, which at least IMO can usually be screened on (at least "traditional" striping.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived