LA Sparks branded jersey sponsorship

timparry

So do we call them the Farmers Sparks or the Los Angeles Farmers?

I'd say Farmers Los Angeles, just like Red Bull New York or Benneton Treviso. Gotta have the city name in there, and sponsor/city sounds better. Lifelock Phoenix, too. Maybe Fiat Detroit next?

Just got this press release from the NBA office. Jersey naming rights. Ugh.

candaceparker_farmers_finalversion.gif

LOS ANGELES, June 5, 2009 ? The Los Angeles Sparks and Farmers Insurance Group of Companies® today announced a landmark, multi-year marketing partnership that includes a branded jersey sponsorship with one of the most successful teams in WNBA history.

The Farmers Insurance branded jersey will be worn by the players for the first time at the Sparks opener, June 6, when they meet the defending WNBA Champion Detroit Shock in a nationally televised game on ABC beginning at 11:30 PDT.

As part of this innovative alliance, the Farmers Insurance name and logo will appear on the front of the Sparks jerseys and will have considerable visibility in the STAPLES Center during home games. Los Angeles will be only the second WNBA team to finalize such an agreement following the WNBA?s decision this off-season to make this unique opportunity available for its teams and sponsors.

"We are very excited to be on the cutting edge of this type of sponsorship with a major sports franchise in a major market. What made it even more attractive is that the Sparks reach a primary demographic in our marketing strategy ? the women's market ? not only in L.A., but throughout our operating territory,? stated Farmers Insurance Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Kevin Kelso.

"In recognition of a growing women's market and internal initiatives to target this market, this is a perfect arrangement for us to be associated with a quality franchise," added Farmers Insurance Vice President of Strategic Marketing Faye McClure.

In addition to player jersey rights, the partnership includes on court apparel, in-arena signage, media, and related community activities. In addition, Farmers Insurance will be involved with Sparks in Motion, a new initiative with the goal of fighting childhood obesity, and Inspiring Women, a platform developed league-wide to celebrate the achievements of women in all walks of life.

"We are honored to be partnering with a company the caliber of Farmers Insurance, which for the last 81 years has been working to improve the lives of families and communities in Southern California and across the country," said Sparks President Kristin Bernert.

"We are pleased that the appeal and value of the WNBA will be utilized to its fullest behind this new partnership between the Sparks and Farmers Insurance," said WNBA President Donna Orender. "Strong brands continue to be attracted to the league, not only for its elite athletes, outstanding entertainment, and high level of play, but also for its authentic connection to communities, families, and women."

Not being a fan of the WNBA (or really any woman's sport in general), I have to say I'm very blah about this announcement, but it's inevitable. And it certainly won't be the last. I don't know the actual economic situation of the WNBA, but something tells me they're not exactly a cash cow. For the same reason the AFL wore advertisements on their jerseys, and MLS sold naming rights to the front of their shirts, so too will the WNBA sell this very visible piece of advertisement realty if it will help it stay afloat. Sports in general have become very commercial. Cable TV has only helped that grow. It's a sign of the times.

WOW...

I myself am a Farmers Insurance Agent based in southern California and i hate this idea. Putting the company name on a WNBA jersey will do nothing for my sales and it looks bad to top it off..no bueno

WOW...

I myself am a Farmers Insurance Agent based in southern California and i hate this idea. Putting the company name on a WNBA jersey will do nothing for my sales and it looks bad to top it off..no bueno

You mean you don't think that having your company logo on the jersey of a team in a third-rate league that nobody watches (which only still exists because the NBA wants to cultivate the main league's female fan base by getting them involved in basketball and because shutting it down would open them to charges of sexism) is going to be good for business?

WOW...

You mean you don't think that having your company logo on the jersey of a team in a third-rate league that nobody watches (which only still exists because the NBA wants to cultivate the main league's female fan base by getting them involved in basketball and because shutting it down would open them to charges of sexism) is going to be good for business?

So why does anyone have a sponsorship with any sports team, particularly not a big league team? Are companies who buy ad space on the boards at minor league hockey arenas or the outfield walls at minor league baseball parks throwing their money away? The fact is that whenever ESPN shows their obligatory WNBA highlight on SportsCenter the jersey sponsorship will be seen. And if it means revenue to the team and/or league, it's a good deal for them.

I guess I've watched enough soccer over the past several decades to where it does not bother me.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

• 3 months later...

I was at the home opener against Detroit. I totally praise some lez, uh.. female fan who kept yelling at the team making their way to the locker room after the game: "We support a team, not a sponsor !"

Was this really necessary?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I was at the home opener against Detroit. I totally praise some lez, uh.. female fan who kept yelling at the team making their way to the locker room after the game: "We support a team, not a sponsor !"

Is it really inaccurate?

87Redskins.png

This coming from you?

Pot, meet kettle...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived