NCAA Football top 25 redesign by chestnutz

chestnutz

Since teambuilder has come out, I've been thrown into the college football mood. And, with scottysprings restarting his Top 25 thread, I decided to do my own (hope that's okay). To keep things fresh and somewhat different from his, instead of starting at 25, I'm gonna start with the #1 team.

And that is.....THE FLORIDA GATORSSSSSSS

This is my first football concept in several months, so I may be a bittt rusty. But anyways, I'll just get right down to it.

LOGOS

I didn't want to get rid of their current primary, as I think it's great. I did some tweaking though, and you can just see for yourself what I did below in a comparison. Tweaked the colors a bit too, lightened everything up.

Everything else is brand spankin' new. I added simple, sleek, and modern wordmarks, akin to the Houston Texans/Atlanta Falcons style.

The secondary is just the F from the wordmark. I noticed a lot of people, in my research of past concepts, like the F on the helmets instead of the cursive Gators script. So, as you'll see in the uniforms, I did that. The tertiary would just be a marketing ploy basically (muhahaha) and I was thinking of the Auburn Tigers eye logo while doing it.

UNIFORMS

I went with the throwback style here, I think it really fits this team and it can look great. Changed to a white helmet with the F, and classic shoulder striping. Not much else to say in this department.

So, C&C please!!

(edit: the second uniform picture with the monochrome looks are the alternates, I forgot to change the labels)

Gatorslogos.png

Gatorscomparison.png

Gatorsunis.png

Gatorsalts.png

Utah next.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of comments:

On the tertiary, you may want to eliminate the white outline of the eye. I feel it may look a bit better if it doesn't interrupt the orange logo.

I appreciate updating the F logo, but I feel that since it is italicized on one side it is leaning forward and backwards on the other side. So I don't know how much it works as a helmet logo.

And this isn't a design nitpick, but I noticed on the home uniforms you have a ghost facemask going through the back of the helmet.

Otherwise, great job. I love the uniforms (though I hate the team! On a related note, if you are starting with number 1, why didn't you start with Utah? :P ). I look forward to the rest of your work.

Gatorslogos.png

I didn't read your explanation closely about the tertiary logo. I think it is a good idea, the gator eye. The second comments had ideas what to do to it that I don't understand because I'm not a designer. However, when I saw it I saw Barney the Dinosaur with big white belly and a fin for an arm or those old Chicago Cub logo from 1908. So I guess the eye needs work to make it easily recognizable as a gator eye.

i think the tertiary logo should have green around the eye.

i think the primary logo should have the official orange and blue colors instead of lightning them up. however, i like the new green better. i'd add alligator skin texture.

i don't like the secondary logo. i think the font here is fine.

the uniforms are too generic.

Like everyone but the "F" on the helmet. I'm all about the white helmet, and the rest of the uniform flows excellently. But something about that F... maybe that it's italicized? I'm not sure. But I'm not digging it.

jerseys.png

Polygon signature courtesy of LEWJ.

bannerwpr.gif

yeah, the F on the helmet looks awkward...I think it is because how it leans right...so on the left side of the helmet it looks very awkward.

The uniforms also kind of remind me of Auburn, but I know there are too many differences to claim they come close...it just reminds me of AU at first sight.

The primary logo update is fantastic!! The logo always bothered me, b/c of the colors and how they drowned out like that. I actually like the tertiary.

Maybe some tweaks to the script and the helmet logo and this would be great, b/c overall the uniforms look awesome.

Isn't it LSU that has the eye logo on midfield? Auburn has that logo with both eyes, but that gator eye looks more like LSU's midfield logo. I think everything looks relatively good. The F is too italicized for the helmet IMO, but it kind of looks like the helmet is in motion which is cool. Overall, the logos are better, but the uniforms are equal if not a tiny bit worse.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Update

-Lightened blue

-Darkened orange

-Non-italicized F secondary logo

-New tertiary logo, based on the old UF gator-over-state logo from the 70s

-Tertiary is on jersey

-Primary helmet problem fixed

Gatorslogos2.png

Gatorsunis2.png

Gatorsalts2.png

And here it is in team builder...

teambuilderunis.png

spacer.png

Alright, no more gator comments, so I'll move on to team #2, the Utah Utes.

LOGOS

-Their current logo is just really dated. It's got a good base, I just wanted to freshen it up. I completely redid the feathers, and added some shadows to it.

-You'll notice I ditched black for this. There are far too many red and black teams in the NCAA. I wanted to give the Utes a classic "feel" but, as you'll see in the uniforms, a "modern touch."

Just to prove a point, here are the teams in DI that use red and black as primary colors:

Arkansas

Arkansas State

Austin Peay

Ball State

Boston U

Bradley

Centenary

Cincinnati

Cornell

etc, etc and that's just A-C

There are far less teams that use red and gray ONLY, my guess would be below 5. So all of those who want black to be in this, just look at those facts, and I want Utah to be different, because Mormons are....different :P However, if popular demand is high for black, I'll change it.

-Just a block wordmark font, similar to what they have now.

-A UU monogram is the tertiary, to be honest didn't have any other ideas for a tertiary.

UNIFORMS

-As said above, I went with a modern template, using Under Armour like they have now. It's not too moderny, but it includes the 45-degree cut of the stripes.

Uteslogos.png

Utesunis.png

spacer.png

I think the logos you came up with for Utah are great, although the tertiarty doesn't seem really necessary. The uniforms are good, but I think the stripe on the front would make the jersey too cluttered.

I think Florida is nearly perfect, I like the new tertiary a lot better than the old one. I just think that it doesn't need to be on the jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think this is a good start, but there are a few things that bother me about the logos.

The first thing is how the feathers just kinda "float" on the side of the secondary logo and wordmarks. I think if you attached the little "fin" shape on top of the feathers to the corner of the "u," it would look a lot better.

My second quibble is the tertiary logo, which immediately made me think of Oklahoma.

f9hclkzyftlynvgb1wgf.gif

I don't have any complaints about the uniforms, and I can't wait to see the rest of these.

Thank you all for the comments, I was really happy with the way this one came out.

The Utah logos look great, particularly the primary. Is there any particular reason you added the white stripe to the helmet and do you imagine it being candy-ish, like their currents?

Not sure what you mean? Why would adding a stripe make it look like candy? I really don't think their current one does.

Awesome, I love the logo updates as well as the uniform design. Great job, it's gonna be tough to beat on my part :P

Oh, I'm sure you will haha.w

I think this is a good start, but there are a few things that bother me about the logos.

The first thing is how the feathers just kinda "float" on the side of the secondary logo and wordmarks. I think if you attached the little "fin" shape on top of the feathers to the corner of the "u," it would look a lot better.

My second quibble is the tertiary logo, which immediately made me think of Oklahoma.

I don't have any complaints about the uniforms, and I can't wait to see the rest of these.

Not sure exactly what you mean by them floating. There's the gray little rectangle connecting the U to the feathers, like what they have now.

And I didn't even realize the OU connection, good catch. I honestly just did not know what to do for a tertiary.

Well my next team is USC, so uh, any ideas there? It'll be hard to please anyone with that haha, so if you have any ideas, please let me know!

spacer.png

Those both look nice, but I still don't like a team having a color in their logo which is not really used on their jerseys (FL) I know it's because of Miami, but I wonder what your design would look like with green trim somewhere.

I completely overlooked the little gray rectangle, that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning.

Interested to see what you have in store for USC. Like you said, it'll be impossible to please a lot of folks on that one.

Those both look nice, but I still don't like a team having a color in their logo which is not really used on their jerseys (FL) I know it's because of Miami, but I wonder what your design would look like with green trim somewhere.

It's not so much it's Miami as it is I think it'd just look weird and out of place. I don't want to force green into their set. It's a gator, and since it's always been green in their history I'm not gonna change it now.

spacer.png

Archived