Interesting use of the Dolphins' Logo

buckeyes

You do not need permission to parody a song. Artists can cover songs and it isn't an infringement. Mechanisms are in place for a standard fee per song or a negotiated fee for each copy of the new work sold.

Back to this logo. Parody is protected UNLESS either this version is proved to take away sales of the original work or the parody damages the reputation of the original property. I'm not sure if a logo reworked into a weapon, and all the connotations that go with it, is protected. With that said, the NFL has the money to make this company's life miserable, whether this new image is legal or not.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

So I guess I am the only complete dork, unhip to the ways of the "urban" market, who finds these designs offensive....well, not really offensive, and not exactly tacky, but disturbing. Probably. I feel about these logos the way I feel about mafia movies, that they glorify a part of society that ought to be vilified, giving power to those who should be shunned, blah blah blah. While I get the allure of thug life, or the intrigue of Godfather movies, I just can't get past the fact that the people and culture being celebrated are, at their most basic level, criminals and murderers.

Call me a boy scout, I suppose, but I just don't appreciate the message behind the logo here.

So I guess I am the only complete dork, unhip to the ways of the "urban" market, who finds these designs offensive....well, not really offensive, and not exactly tacky, but disturbing. Probably. I feel about these logos the way I feel about mafia movies, that they glorify a part of society that ought to be vilified, giving power to those who should be shunned, blah blah blah. While I get the allure of thug life, or the intrigue of Godfather movies, I just can't get past the fact that the people and culture being celebrated are, at their most basic level, criminals and murderers.

Call me a boy scout, I suppose, but I just don't appreciate the message behind the logo here.

I don't think you're the only one.

Frankly, the shirt is trash.

So I guess I am the only complete dork, unhip to the ways of the "urban" market, who finds these designs offensive....well, not really offensive, and not exactly tacky, but disturbing.

I'll second that. Well, third it, I guess.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well you guys (in my eyes) are both somewhat correct, and showing your age.

I'm not offended, its kind of corny and certainly low brow, but its a t-shirt.

Your parents were probably offended by Booger's shirts from Revenge of The Nerds 25 years ago, but I bet you thought they were funny. (kind of a stretch maybe, but my point is that silly expression isn't 'dangerous.')

booger.jpg

Your parents were probably offended by Booger's shirts from Revenge of The Nerds 25 years ago, but I bet you thought they were funny. (kind of a stretch maybe, but my point is that silly expression isn't 'dangerous.')

booger.jpg

Apples and Oranges.

No one ever really died by what Booger is championing. Sex vs. Violence. One is good, the other bad... easy.

I wouldn't say the Godfather movies glorify mafia life... people may see it and interpret it that way, but I think if anything it was to show the futility, rather.

Tell that to all the kids I see every day walking around Detroit in Scarface T's... I don't think they're getting the "futility" message.

It's legal under it's a parody of life. I'm serious on that. You can take an image, make a parody of it about something in life and you're perfectly legal. I don't know if there have been any Dolphins arrested for possession of guns, if so it could be a statement about that, or it could be a statement about the quarterback having a gun for an arm. Whether the Dolphins like the image is a different story, they can't legally do anything except put pressure on the people who produce the shirt, but they can keep you out of their facility for wearing it. This would go under Fair Use, based on it being a parody of some sort.

Don't they still need permission to do a parody? I remember hearing an interview with Weird Al. Interviewer asked him if Michael Jackson ever got mad at him for the songs. He said he always has to get his permission first.

Weird Al created a lot of controversy about a decade ago for making a parody of Coolio's Gangsters Paradise without permission. Coolio got so pissed about it that it basically ended his career.

So no, I don't think you HAVE to get permission to make a parody, it's just a really good idea.

I'm not convinced that the "controversy" wasn't staged to boost both their careers. But yes, your point is correct - Wierd Al secures rights to each of the songs he parodies, and pays royalties to the artists. But that's because his parodies are commerical works for profit - non-commercial parodies don't need permission.

Two points:

1. I heard Weird Al say that Coolio had actually agreed to it beforehand, but either misunderstood or "misremembered". They patched things up later.

2. Al said that legally he doesn't need permission to do the songs (because the artists would still get royalties), but he always gets it anyway. The only time someone didn't give permission was when he wanted to do "Live and Let Die" as "Chicken Pot Pie." Paul McCartney didn't want it because he is a vegetarian.

Also, each of the writers of the original song get credit as a writer of Weird Al's parody (Their original is the source material). That's how they get royalties for it and probably why they agree to let him do them.

booger.jpg

Apples and Oranges.

No one ever really died by what Booger is championing. Sex vs. Violence. One is good, the other bad... easy.

I'm going to agree with oldschool on this. These are two very different messages. Even presidents have oral sex. :P

As for whether these shirts are "dangerous", I don't think they are taken by themselves because the segment of the population that finds that lifestyle attractive will find plenty of other outlets. However, when considered with those other outlets, I do find myself worried about the glorification of the "thug life." People have always been attracted to outlaws (Robin Hood, Jesse James, Al Capone), but there seems to be more of an inclination to adopt the lifestyle these days, instead of just admiring it from a safe distance.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived