WWE Summerslam gets a new logo

BadSeed84

Will the monster truck rally be before or after the main event?

Cheesey as logo. Should just be a simple wordmark or something, not this hokey junk. This looks like the label for something you'd buy in the toy section of a dollar tree.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the term 'logo' is getting overused on these boards.

Sure, strictly as a 'logo' the posted image is pretty bad, but as an advertising flyer, it communicates old school/carnival-esque wrestling, a nod to the roots of a barnstorming wrestling league. The poster is obviously a nod to that, not some futuristic energy drink or some classic timeless logo that is meant to outlast the pyramids.

I think the drop shadow is a bit much in the poster, but overall, its a fun design that does well to advertise the event. In my mind, a logo is a shorthand visual depiction of a brand that uses iconography and not just a wordmark. Sure the wordmarks they have used in the past become familiar to the customers, but fall short of logo status (think the old WWF and new scribbled WWE logos) To call this a logo is a bit much, at most its a wordmark, and if it gets put onto t-shirts and posters and such, it becomes a one off mark of a specific event, not a complete re-branding.

Variety is the spice of life, and its fun to see them take a different route once in a while instead of using death metal metallic fonts and over the top extreme designs all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

This, and what they used for The Bash looks like something they would've used in the "new generation"/pre-monday night wars era. I was hoping the WWE becoming PG again wouldn't be accompanied by all the hokie-ness(word?) it had back then, but it looks like that's gonna be the case.

Archived