Vancouver Pacers?

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the failure of the Grizzlies in Vancouver, I don't think there's any chance they'd let a team in a basketball hotbed like Indiana leave for BC. IF, and I'm sure it's a big IF, they were to leave Indy, it'd be for a more plausible destination, like Kansas City or even Seattle, if they've upped their facilities. Otherwise, I think they'll be staying right where they are.

Though Gothy poses an interesting idea. The "Pittsburgh Pacers".

That'd be a lot of PP going on in the Steel City.

(Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Pacers... ) ;)

After the failure of the Grizzlies in Vancouver, I don't think there's any chance they'd let a team in a basketball hotbed like Indiana leave for BC. IF, and I'm sure it's a big IF, they were to leave Indy, it'd be for a more plausible destination, like Kansas City or even Seattle, if they've upped their facilities. Otherwise, I think they'll be staying right where they are.

I didn't mean that - I meant that the league would step in to prevent the Pacers from moving, much as the NHL did when the Penguins were on their way out of town.

There are some franchises that bring intangible value to their leagues.

I didn't mean that - I meant that the league would step in to prevent the Pacers from moving, much as the NHL did when the Penguins were on their way out of town.

I know. I was just making another possibility ahead of Vancouver...

Plus I really wanted to make the PP joke...

I wish I hadn't.

Well David Stern did say something that he would like to try Vancouver again and admitted what happened in Vancouver was wrong and that he didn't give Vancouver a fair chance.

Agreed.

Don't say the Vancouver fans didn't support the Grizzlies-because they did! It's the stupid front office folks who made all the wrong calls!

(not to mention despite their shoddy records, they never once got the #1 pick in the Draft Lottery).

I still believe that if the NBA were to try Vancouver again, it would work out given better management.

bYhYmxh.png

This one's a non-story.

The Pacers aren't happy with their lease at Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new deal. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

Let's remember, too- the Grizzlies' failure in Vancouver had to do with the poor treatment by the NBA (no first round picks for their first 5 years of existence), BAD management (I'm looking at you, Stu Jackson) and the then-weak-as-a-kitten Canadian Dollar. If another team with financial difficulties were to think about moving (Memphis comes immediately to mind), then I'm sure the Aquilinis would be more than happy to look into the situation, and consider bringing them to Vancouver to help fill dates at GM Place.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This one's a non-story.

The Pacers aren't happy with Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new building. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

How are they unhappy with Conseco? It's only 10 years old, what could possibly be wrong with it? Not to mention that the Pacers were a very active participant with the design of the building.

The Pacers aren't happy with Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new building. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard.

Conseco Fieldhouse is annually considered one of the top one or two venues in any sport. Some call it the greatest sports venue EVER BUILT.

And, as was already said, the Pacers had a lot to do with the design of the building.

The real issue is with their lease - this is what the Pacers are complaining about.

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard.

Conseco Fieldhouse is annually considered one of the top one or two venues in any sport. Some call it the greatest sports venue EVER BUILT.

And, as was already said, the Pacers had a lot to do with the design of the building.

The real issue is with their lease - this is what the Pacers are complaining about.

This is correct, and I didn't clarify above. My bad.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This one's a non-story.

The Pacers aren't happy with their lease at Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new deal. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

Famous last words...(as in, the same thing most Sonics fans thought when Clay Bennett stepped up to buy the team)

bYhYmxh.png

This one's a non-story.

Famous last words...(as in, the same thing most Sonics fans thought when Clay Bennett stepped up to buy the team)

Well, they were not satisfied WITH Key Arena. The Pacers are just not happy with their LEASE at Conseco. Big difference. Conseco is a high quality arena in a high basketball market and therefore the league will do whatever it takes to keep them there. Seattle's arena itself was the problem there... added to the owner who really just wanted a team to move. Say Bennett hadn't bought the Sonics and now wanted to buy the Pacers because of their unhappiness with their lease. David Stern would rather never have a team in OKC than allow him to move the Pacers from Indy and Conseco.

I'll have to agree with Colorwerx, here?I've been to Conseco several times, and it's a top-flight facility located right in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. It's an excellent building in an excellent location in an excellent market.

The Pacers aren't going anywhere.

Sigs are for sissies.

There is a rumor floating around Vancouver about the Aquilini Investment Group purchasing the Indiana Pacers if they can not secure a new lease at Conseco Fieldhouse. Is there any further news on the issue?

On Global BC News a few weeks ago, Squire Barnes (The sports-caster) addressed this rumour and said he had asked the Aquilinis about their interest in the Pacers and they said that there wasn't any truth to the rumours.

This one's a non-story.

Well, they were not satisfied WITH Key Arena. The Pacers are just not happy with their LEASE at Conseco. Big difference. Conseco is a high quality arena in a high basketball market and therefore the league will do whatever it takes to keep them there. Seattle's arena itself was the problem there... added to the owner who really just wanted a team to move. Say Bennett hadn't bought the Sonics and now wanted to buy the Pacers because of their unhappiness with their lease. David Stern would rather never have a team in OKC than allow him to move the Pacers from Indy and Conseco.

It should be important to consider that nobody goes to Pacer games anymore. Partly because the team sucks. Partly because it employs "scary black people". And partly because Indiana's love of basketball is more specifically concentrated on the high school level.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This one's a non-story.

It should be important to consider that nobody goes to Pacer games anymore. Partly because the team sucks. Partly because it employs "scary black people". And partly because Indiana's love of basketball is more specifically concentrated on the high school level.

There is no truth to the "scary black people" comment. You are attempting to stereotype Hoosiers as racists. You are sorely wrong. The reason that team hasn't drawn is losing and that rash of run-ins with the law. It didn't matter the race of the players involved, just what they did and what they were charged with. People turned away from a team they saw as one that was on the wrong side of the law a lot.

Archived