Vancouver Pacers?

kiwi_canadian

Were you in Vancouver before or after the Canucks got eliminated? And it would of been a waste of your time to go to the Vancouver suburbs there's really nothing exciting about them, I would know I live in one.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK...I'll bite.

Is there any locale that the Grizzlies franchise can truly claim to "belong" to (as in established a lasting history and fanbase.)

There is. The Grizzlies belong in hibernation.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think Vancouver has the fan base to support a basketball team. It would be popular with families since it cost a average family of 4 over 100 dollars to go to a Canucks game, and even though the Canucks have a big minority fan base Basketball is more popular than Hockey with the large Chinese population in Vancouver. Vancouver also has a ton of bandwagon fans who would support the team if it was ever successful.

That seems awfuly low (around $90 US I think.) A lot of NHL tickets are close to $100 per seat now. Even "cheap" seats at a lot of bigger market arenas are 45 - 55 or more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pro sports is becoming freaking ridiculous. Let's build a new arena or stadium for each team every 5 years! Lame.

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment (although if most of the 20-year-old parks are being torn down or remodeled there's a reason for that).

That's not what's going on in this case, though.

I think Vancouver has the fan base to support a basketball team. It would be popular with families since it cost a average family of 4 over 100 dollars to go to a Canucks game, and even though the Canucks have a big minority fan base Basketball is more popular than Hockey with the large Chinese population in Vancouver. Vancouver also has a ton of bandwagon fans who would support the team if it was ever successful.

That seems awfuly low (around $90 US I think.) A lot of NHL tickets are close to $100 per seat now. Even "cheap" seats at a lot of bigger market arenas are 45 - 55 or more.

Not sure if they still have these, but when I was younger my family used to get family packs that were available for around 20 games a year. You would get 4 tickets for about 120 dollars. But ya the cheapest Canucks tickets are in the 60-80 dollar range.

Not sure if they still have these, but when I was younger my family used to get family packs that were available for around 20 games a year. You would get 4 tickets for about 120 dollars. But ya the cheapest Canucks tickets are in the 60-80 dollar range.

But, good luck getting them.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well David Stern did say something that he would like to try Vancouver again and admitted what happened in Vancouver was wrong and that he didn't give Vancouver a fair chance.

Sounds like post-move lipservice.

He had full rights to block Heisley's franchise extortion, he chose not to. He saw the FedEx corporate $$$ flying in thanks to the Memphis move and made no effort to block it.

That being said, I don't know if I was ever sold on BC as being a viable franchise location. Their horrid management helped none.

I stole this thought from local sports radio here in Vancouver, but if you think about, the Grizzlies situation is a very neat parallel to the Coyotes thing. Non-traditional market for the sport, inept management and teams, poor financial performance. Vancouver fans had about as much chance of embracing the NBA as Phoenix has had of embracing the NHL. Of course, as I understand it, the team has done equally poorly in Memphis, so the analogy breaks down there as it seems to be a forgone conlusion that the Hamilton Blackberries would make some coin.

Really, the NBA came to Vancouver too soon. With the league being more international in terms of its player base now, I think we would have less Steve Francis situations of players not wanting to come to the world's most liveable city, and the dollar is doing much better of course.

I think this Pacers situation is going to come to nothing. Aquilini is being used as leverage, and he probably knows it, but he might as well put his bait in the water and see if he can get another tennant for his building to fill another 40 nights at GM place, plus, he'd be seen as a hero if he brought the NBA back. He's got nothing to lose by taking a shot at it.

The Grizzlies had a couple good seasons in Memphis in the middle of the decade (didn't they win 50?) but have pretty much fallen off the planet in every way possible and I don't see any way they survive. Too bad. I like their arena. It's got a soul museum in it!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Grizzlies had a couple good seasons in Memphis in the middle of the decade (didn't they win 50?) but have pretty much fallen off the planet in every way possible and I don't see any way they survive. Too bad. I like their arena. It's got a soul museum in it!

And it has been a SWEET home for the Tigers, and should stay that way for years to come.

Only problem is, I don't think Memphis is an NBA town...Just like I don't think Pittsburgh is either.

If not Vancouver, then the Grizzlies should look at:

1. St. Louis (always #1 at the top of my NBA team choice list)

2. Kansas City

3. Louisville

4. Anaheim

5. Columbus/Cincinnati

6. Seattle

bYhYmxh.png

Anaheim?!

A third team in Los Angeles? No way.

Agreed.

I will say, however, that I am intrigued by a Louisville team. It's a city that desperately wants to move into the the "big time" (whatever that is), and is wealthy and centrally located enough (within an afternoon/evening drive from Cincinnati and Evansville) that it could support one professional sports team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Anaheim?!

Agreed.

I will say, however, that I am intrigued by a Louisville team. It's a city that desperately wants to move into the the "big time" (whatever that is), and is wealthy and centrally located enough (within an afternoon/evening drive from Cincinnati and Evansville) that it could support one professional sports team.

They were pretty deep in the running for both the Grizzlies and Hornets when they were looking to relocate.

Anaheim?!

Agreed.

They were pretty deep in the running for both the Grizzlies and Hornets when they were looking to relocate.

Do they have another facility (other than Freedom Hall) or any plans to build a new arena? Maybe a move from Memphis to Louisville might be in order.

I could see Louisville being able to support an NBA team.

6fQjS3M.png

Anaheim?!

Agreed.

Do they have another facility (other than Freedom Hall) or any plans to build a new arena? Maybe a move from Memphis to Louisville might be in order.

I could see Louisville being able to support an NBA team.

Yes.

Except replace "plans" with "building right now."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 year later...

they still do that but since there is such a high demand for them they get sold out almost instantly. most tickets for decent seats (second to lower levels) cost between 120-150 bucks ....EACH. luckily for me i found a very generous season ticket holder on craigslist who sold me 3rd level edge of the balcony seats for 45 bucks each. i went to 7 games (montreal, new york rangers, edmonton (twice) nashville twice (first appearance of the greenmen and the auger/burrows incident) and los angelas.) and 2 playoff games (game one and five vs los angelas) this year. i hope he does that again for next year.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Why did you resurrect this thread? Especially to make a post that added nothing to the primary topic of discussion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived