Ontario Hockey League Jersey Project 2009-2010

zer0dotcom

After taking a year off, I'm gearing up to re-start the Sportslogos.net OHL/CHL jersey project.

Rumours have been going around for some time about the Canadian Hockey League going to EDGE jerseys. THey have used them at the Top Prospects and All-Star games for some time now, and rumours are that next season they come to be.

Rumours are already abound about the Barrie Colts having a design, and the Kingston Frontenacs having a new set (they sported two new jerseys this year, as well as Barrie having an alternate.)

Also, as we've seen on the board, the London Knights will also have an alternate jersey next season.

With there being few sources for photos of OHL clubs, and teams in the WHL and QMJHL, I'm asking my fellow Canadian Junior Hockey fans for help in completing the most comprehensive history of the CHL's uniforms on the 'net.

That a flip through our OHL/WHL/QMJHL sections. If you have any photos or resources for us to use, please pass them along and help us put our collection together!

Believe it or not, over the past month I've been recreating most of the CHL in my "MYOJ" style. I have every jersey of the QMJHL done (but NOT all the logos to go with them because I can't find them anywhere, like for example, the shoulder logos for Drummondville and Victoriaville; nor do I have all the name and number fonts to go with them)

I've also done this with about a dozen each OHL and WHL teams' jerseys too, but, as with the QMJHL, a lot of the secondary logos are nowhere to be found and I don't have the name and number fonts for them yet. I'll have to chat with you soon when I'm home again and share resources.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Being the big junior hockey fan that I am, I'm really excited to see this take off!

Good luck boys!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Being the big junior hockey fan that I am, I'm really excited to see this take off!

Good luck boys!

I've heard that Brampton has already seen two designs that they've shot down. If you hear of any news, or see any photos, be sure to let me know.

Rog, any stuff you have would be most welcomed. I have lots of photos from the older QMJHL teams, when they go with the new Edge stuff, I'll need some help compiling resources.

Zero and Roger:

PM me, I can help with Portland Winterhawks stuff. I had been attempting to recreate their entire jersey history, but have been sidetracked for some time. I would be happy to help!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

According to the Plymouth Whalers (in an interesting article about choosing jersey numbers,) The Whalers will have new white and Blue uniforms for next season, but the green alt will not change until 2010-2011.

http://www.ohlhockeynews.com/2008/09/ohl-h...mber-selection/

The green alternate is the worst jersey they have! Hopefully the blue and white don't change much, just change to the Edge template. They're very classy, reminiscent of the Hartford Whalers unis.

Good luck boys!

I've heard that Brampton has already seen two designs that they've shot down. If you hear of any news, or see any photos, be sure to let me know.

Rog, any stuff you have would be most welcomed. I have lots of photos from the older QMJHL teams, when they go with the new Edge stuff, I'll need some help compiling resources.

I just e-mailed my contact at the Battalion. I'll let you know if he tells me anything.

In passing conversation he mentioned that Stan Butler said he didn't want to change the look too much. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) Stan was a big part in making the look what it is, so I'm guessing he feels some kind of attachment to the look.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I love the Brampton look. Hoping that doesn't change one bit.

I'm with you on that one!

Just got an e-mail back, unfortunately all he will say is: "it's still undecided".

Sorry guys, I fail.

He told me he'd let me know if he hears anything further.

According to the Plymouth Whalers (in an interesting article about choosing jersey numbers,) The Whalers will have new white and Blue uniforms for next season, but the green alt will not change until 2010-2011.

The green alternate is the worst jersey they have! Hopefully the blue and white don't change much, just change to the Edge template. They're very classy, reminiscent of the Hartford Whalers unis.

I agree there, I have always seen the Whalers alternate as bandwagon jumping. A number of teams use the diagonal name design for their alternates that have appeared in the past few years (Saganaw, Plymouth, London, Barrie, Kingston) and Plymouth's just didn't seem that solid to myself.

I do hope that Brampton remains unchanged. I have liked their set since their inception.

One team I hope changes is Niagara. Their set before their move was terrific. The cartoon terrier looks bush-league at best. I can't stand it, or the uniform design (like Windsor, were they an EDGE prequel?)

The Whalers and the Thunderbirds share the same jerseys and I have always hoped that Seattle would use the green one as a third but with the regular TBird logo instead of Seattle written diagonally. Much better than our "Toucan Sam" jerseys that we have now as alts.

Zero and Roger:

PM me, I can help with Portland Winterhawks stuff. I had been attempting to recreate their entire jersey history, but have been sidetracked for some time. I would be happy to help!

Good to see you are spelling the name correctly. :grin:

I agree there, I have always seen the Whalers alternate as bandwagon jumping. A number of teams use the diagonal name design for their alternates that have appeared in the past few years (Saganaw, Plymouth, London, Barrie, Kingston) and Plymouth's just didn't seem that solid to myself.

I do hope that Brampton remains unchanged. I have liked their set since their inception.

One team I hope changes is Niagara. Their set before their move was terrific. The cartoon terrier looks bush-league at best. I can't stand it, or the uniform design (like Windsor, were they an EDGE prequel?)

Windsor did have an edge prequel, you are right. They changed over to them when they opened up their new arena.

Apparently, Windsor also had a short lived alternate unifrom around 2000-2001 that I can't find any sources on. If anyone comes across any, would they kindly pass them along?

I'm currently working on Windsor's uniforms from this past season. The road whites are about 50% finished.

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently, Windsor also had a short lived alternate unifrom around 2000-2001 that I can't find any sources on. If anyone comes across any, would they kindly pass them along?

I'm currently working on Windsor's uniforms from this past season. The road whites are about 50% finished.

They did. White only with red and green trim (no blue), diagonal stripe like Halifax or the Mighty Ducks used to have. Cartoony logo of a plane and the Ambassador Bridge.

Pics here, one of the guys is wearing it:

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa182/O...l%20Cup%202009/

Incidentally, I know a fair bit about OHL jerseys and such, feel free to email me through ohlarenaguide.com or send me a PM. Email's probably faster. The Knights page is incorrect as well, I tried correcting it once upon a time but apparently nothing was done.

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

I'm thinking that the Knights new Edge jerseys will likely be Edge versions of the jerseys that actually did accompany the logo they've reverted to. The striping of it is simple enough that it can be replicated in the Edge style.

Zero, next time I'm actually at my home (which is quite rare now that I practically live with my girlfriend) I'll send you the stuff I have done so far.

What I fear is the loss of a LOT of awesome jersey designs, like the Chilliwack Bruins, Guelph Storm, Gatineau Olympiques and Saint John Sea Dogs. There are about a dozen different CHL jerseys I'd love to own and now realize they'll all likely be gone by the end of the summer.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

They did. White only with red and green trim (no blue), diagonal stripe like Halifax or the Mighty Ducks used to have. Cartoony logo of a plane and the Ambassador Bridge.

Pics here, one of the guys is wearing it:

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa182/O...l%20Cup%202009/

Incidentally, I know a fair bit about OHL jerseys and such, feel free to email me through ohlarenaguide.com or send me a PM. Email's probably faster. The Knights page is incorrect as well, I tried correcting it once upon a time but apparently nothing was done.

I remember that message about the Knights uniforms. That was near the tail end of my undergrad when I got that message, and by then I was pretty burnt out with the whole project.

THank you sooooooooooooooo much for the photos of the Windsor alternate. I knew it was out there, and that I wasn't spacing out and imagining the Houston Aeros jerseys were the ones...when I get some free time I'll try to make those up for the webpage.

Rog, I understand man. I spend more time at my girl's place now than my own too. and as well, therre are several OHL jerseys I wish that I had (Green Knights Tavares would be nice...) but sadly, since I'm moving in two weeks, extra cash is a luxury I don't have right now. THanks for sending the CHL stuff you had along. It will take a little time for me to get it onto the site, but it will get there.

• 6 months later...

(I knew I had an official thread somewhere.)

So, about 5 months after being unvieled, phase 2 of the CHL uniform project is complete! All 120 home and road EDGE jerseys are now hosted on the webpage.

Now that that is done, I forsee a wee break before starting with Phase 3 of the project, which is the uniforms for the 4 teams in the Memorial Cup this season. We know that Brandon will be there, and will likely have a Memorial Cup jersey as the host city. Lots of speculation as to who will join them, so we'll have to wait and see.

Phase 4 will be completing the histories for all the other active franchises. Lots of lost and rare sweaters out there, so it will be fun to hunt them down and add them to the page.

If you're got a photo of any teams wearing a uniform we currently don't have, send it along and we'll be sure to add it in due time.

• 1 month later...

OK, after a two month layoff, I'm getting ready to get back into the project. I want to aim at the CHL top 10 list, since those teams are most likely to be in the Memorical Cup this season.

but first, I've found a soft-spot for the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL, so I think I'm going to start there for the project. They have a vast assortment of oddball alternate, so I'm going to start there, and then likely veer into Saskatoon and Tri-Cities.

Archived