09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Since teams cannot wait for the Stanley Cup Finals to conclude before making moves, I feel that we need to start the off-season thread a little earlier than normal.

Please, instead of making separate threads, lets just start the discussion in here. I will try to make a running list in this lead topic.

- Ray Emery a Flyer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281380

- Dave Tippett out as head coach in Dallas

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281469

- Sergei Federov may be back with the Capitals

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281452

- Leafs steal Stanley Cup winning goalie guru Francois Allaire

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/10/leafs_allaire/

- Heatley wants out of Ottawa

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

If you provide links, I will add them up here.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the worst part about crawford... and this is the sad thing... all i can think about is him leaving Gretzky on the bench at Nagano during the shoot out... and that was over 10 years ago... but really he was the next big thing as a coach in the league and he's fizzled pretty spectatcularly im not sure why leagues keep recycling coaches... take pittsburgh and washington they promoted their AHL guys and they seemed to thrive... new blood is not a bad thing

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Anaheim Ducks re-sign Mike Brown to two year extension ($500,000 in '09-'10, $575,000 in '10-'11)

LINK

I'm happy to see him back and at a cheap price.

Non-stop on every shift. Hardest worker on the ice when he is on the ice.

He was a key to the Ducks penalty killing down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Just a good, blue collar, high energy guy. I like it.

And now to wait for Teemu Selanne and Scott Niedermayer's decisions.

Even though this was said last year, they aren't going to be letting this drag on. The Ducks' GM Bob Murray has given the two of them a June 15th (or 17th?) deadline to decide if they would like to return next season. (Murray made an earlier deadline so he could have some time to organize potential moves at the draft. Pronger, Giguere, Hiller, etc...)

Teemu actually has a contract thru next season, and Niedermayer doesn't but he has said that if he's going anywhere he's going to stay with the Ducks. They both have the enticement of playing in the Olympics one more time next year. They both have homes here and are entrenched in the community. Teemu even listed his hometown a few years ago as Coto de Caza (where he lives in Orange County) :D .

They both have huge effects on the Ducks salary cap. As well as the potential to move Pronger or Giguere. Pronger, of course, has been rumored to move several times over the last few seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if he got moved at the Draft, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he didnt.

Giguere is interesting. He is making $6 million a year and has a No Trade Clause in his contract, and more out of necessity thatn choice, he became the back-up toward the end of last season and in the playoffs. Last year was one of his worst career years, but many attribute his mental state last season to the early illness and then death of his father. Now this season he has the motivation to overcome a terrible season AND earn back the starting job. And while Hiller stepped up in the playoffs, I'm still not to comfortable giving him the team for an entire season. And giving away Giguere would leave a hole in one of the goalie spots and its a risk. I'd prefer Giguere to stay, but I would disappointed yet understanding if he left.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Very Strong Rumor:

Chris Pronger to Los Angeles?

Personally I am never in favor of any trades to the Kings, ever. Or even things like last year when the Ducks released Sean O'Donnell only to have him sign with the Kings...

I have no clue why you would trade your #2 (possibly #1 if Niedermayer doesn't return) defenseman to your closest rival. THe Kings are a team on the rise and Ducks/Kings games are always hotly contested and closer than they should be no matter what the standings are. Why in the world... ugh.

I like the prospect of having Jack Johnson for a long time, but I don't know about this one...

Terrible trade for LA.

Jack Johnson is the future Chris Pronger. Plus, the 5th overall pick is going to be a solid player. Anaheim won this deal hands down. Pronger isnt the player he use to be.

Btw, on the Score in Canada, it says "Steve Ludsik has learned that the Ducks have traded Chris Pronger to LA for Jack Johnson & the 5th Overall Pick." That doesnt mean its official yet. TSN and Sportsnet have nothing on this trade last I looked.

beLEAF

Yeah I saw the Score link as well.

Until it's on TSN I won't believe it just yet.

And also it's questionable if Johnson was going to come back to LA. I heard he was unhappy there and was thinking of possibly jumping to the KHL. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but we'll see.

Also he's an RFA if I'm not mistaken, and so even if he does leave the Ducks would hold his rights, or if he gets signed away on an offer sheet the Ducks don't match, they get more draft picks out of the deal.

Chris Pronger is 35 and only has one year left on his current contract as well...

I guess if this actually goes down, I won't be completely unhappy. It always sucks to lose a player of Pronger's caliber. I just hope that with the saved money we can keep Niedermayer here for one more season, re-sign Beauchemin (he wants to test the free agent market, Montreal is a possible destination), keep Wisniewski (the guy was nothing but grit, skill, and class since his trade here. Love the guy) and sign a 2nd line center, all the while building for the future with these draft picks.

On the Pronger trade from the Ducks' official blogger, Adam Brady, on the Ducks' official website:

For the record, the rumors flying around that the Ducks are trading Chris Pronger to the Kings for young defenseman Jack Johnson and L.A.'s first round pick (fifth overall) in this year's draft are completely and utterly false. And that fact that some websites (which I won't mention) are already reporting it as a done deal is laughable. And not just because teams aren't even allowed to make trades until the Stanley Cup Final is over.

Again, just a rumor. Ignore it.

LINK

I've actually met the guy and interviewed him for a college project in his office. He isn't just any other blogger.

He is literally around the corner from the GM's office. He knows these things. He hasn't been wrong yet. If he says it isn't going down, then I believe that it isn't.

The Niedermayers' agent has gone on record as saying that their signing with Vancouver is a "strong, likely scenario."

Take that as you will.

I take that as their agent trying to get as much leverage as possible to increase the value of a deal, whether it be returning to the Ducks or indeed going to Vancouver or any place else.

The Niedermayers' agent has gone on record as saying that their signing with Vancouver is a "strong, likely scenario."

Take that as you will.

I take that as their agent trying to get as much leverage as possible to increase the value of a deal, whether it be returning to the Ducks or indeed going to Vancouver or any place else.

Quite possibly, but I'd also imagine the allure of playing for their hometown (ish) team, in their hometown (ish), for the Olympics is a pretty strong pull too.

Again, take it all for what you will. They're called rumors for a reason.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived