09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Using the legal process to force a person to work for you... that will make for a productive employee.

-Dan

He's trying to skirt the legal process by signing with a league that has no regard for North American contracts.

What's the legal differences between a UFA and an RFA? If he was a UFA then his signing in Russia would be a non-issue, but because he's an RFA the Red Wings have the say over where he signs, correct?

The league is saying it's not a UFA vs. RFA issue but rather that he had filed for arbitration. As arbitration awards are binding to the player (the team, of course, can reject them), they're saying he had already agreed to play in the NHL next season at whatever rate the arbitrator decided.

According to the NHL does "agreed to play" mean definatly has to play?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Using the legal process to force a person to work for you... that will make for a productive employee.

-Dan

He's trying to skirt the legal process by signing with a league that has no regard for North American contracts.

What's the legal differences between a UFA and an RFA? If he was a UFA then his signing in Russia would be a non-issue, but because he's an RFA the Red Wings have the say over where he signs, correct?

The league is saying it's not a UFA vs. RFA issue but rather that he had filed for arbitration. As arbitration awards are binding to the player (the team, of course, can reject them), they're saying he had already agreed to play in the NHL next season at whatever rate the arbitrator decided.

-Dan

Can he retire, then sign in Russia? Or does that limit any chance of an NHL return at a later date?

If I am correct, if a player officially retires he has to sit out at least 1 year. If he intends on coming back before the 1 year is up he would need the 29 other GMs to ok it. That would prevent a player like Kovalchuck from "retiring" today then signing in Washington to play with Ovechkin a month later. Thats why you knew Selanne and Neidermayer were coming back because they never retired.

But if he was retired he could play in Russia and come back to the NHL as a UFA at a later date.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

-Dan

Can he retire, then sign in Russia? Or does that limit any chance of an NHL return at a later date?

Both are reasons I think the NHL will lose this one. As Alexander Radulov seems to have proven, it doesn't matter what you've agreed to do, you can always walk out on it.

Pens sign Jay McKee: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=436745

I really like this. If he can keep healthy, then Shero has more than made up for the loss of Scuderi. And at $800k, its a steal. I like how our D looks now, more than I did last year.

Combine that with the fact that the top three lines are basically intact (once Talbot comes back from shoulder surgery), its pretty exciting to think of what this team can do next year.

oBIgzrL.png

Pens sign Jay McKee: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=436745

I really like this. If he can keep healthy, then Shero has more than made up for the loss of Scuderi. And at $800k, its a steal. I like how our D looks now, more than I did last year.

Combine that with the fact that the top three lines are basically intact (once Talbot comes back from shoulder surgery), its pretty exciting to think of what this team can do next year.

Jay McKee is a solid defensive defensemen. When he was an FA awhile back, I wanted the Leafs to grab him but the Blues picked him up. At 800k that is a steal.

It's a steal until you watch him not be able to keep up with anyone else on the ice.

Niittymaki

His constant hip injuries will prevent him from being a starter but he was a good backup when healthy....

1. I know

2. his docs and the team docs say he should be ok

3. we have a #1

4. we signed him as a back up

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Jay McKee is a solid defensive defensemen. When he was an FA awhile back, I wanted the Leafs to grab him but the Blues picked him up. At 800k that is a steal.

It's a steal until you watch him not be able to keep up with anyone else on the ice.

Hal Gill was one of our top defensemen for the past year and a half. We know what we're getting into.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Brendan Morrison is a nice pickup for the red white and blue. not terribly expensive, and he has alot of experience setting up scorers (which he will most likely play with the uber talented Alexander Semin) solid pickup.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Brendan Morrison is a nice pickup for the red white and blue. not terribly expensive, and he has alot of experience setting up scorers (which he will most likely play with the uber talented Alexander Semin) solid pickup.

With the Caps near or a bit over the cap (depending on how arbitration goes), they might have to deal a defenseman.

With the Caps near or a bit over the cap (depending on how arbitration goes), they might have to deal a defenseman.

depending on the arbitration ruling they can walk away from Jurcinas deal or hope Shaone Morrisonn doesnt sign his QO, and they dont have to match a teams offer sheet.

or they could grant my wishes and send Theodore down to the AHL! thatll never happen but one can dream right?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Niittymaki

His constant hip injuries will prevent him from being a starter but he was a good backup when healthy....

1. I know

2. his docs and the team docs say he should be ok

3. we have a #1

4. we signed him as a back up

Yeah, he's fine as a backup... as long as it's a true backup role. One problem with the Flyers is that (until the playoffs) they don't really do a good job of defining the roles, so the "backup" plays nearly as much as the "starter", until he plays so much that he is exposed, and then his playing time gets reduced to what a backup's should be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm watching some of these contracts being signed, and I just wonder what will happen if the cap goes down. How many teams will be royally screwed. I doubt it really will, but I love Fox Sports' look at the Top 10 worst free agent moves. With the Hawks moves, how are they going to be able to sign Toews, Sharp, & company? Who do they sacrifice for the Hossa signing?

I'm watching some of these contracts being signed, and I just wonder what will happen if the cap goes down. How many teams will be royally screwed. I doubt it really will, but I love Fox Sports' look at the Top 10 worst free agent moves. With the Hawks moves, how are they going to be able to sign Toews, Sharp, & company? Who do they sacrifice for the Hossa signing?

Sharp is locked up for 3 more years I think. But Im pretty sure Kane, Toews and Keith are RFA's next year. Its pretty much a lock that 1 or 2 of them will be heading elsewhere after the stupid Hossa signing and Tallon screwing up with the Barker and Versteeg contracts. I dont see how they can afford to keep Toews and Kane, unless they somehow get rid of Huet, Campbell, Hossa etc.

I hope the Leafs throw an offer sheet on Kane or Toews. We really need that star forward to be the face of our franchise and Toews and Kane can definatly be those guys.

beLEAF

After saying he was heading to Russia to replace Ray Emery's spot, Antero Niittymaki changed his mind this morning and signed with Tampa Bay instead...

I suppose he was headed to St. Petersburg one way or the other.

Haha, what a DEAD! post that was. Did he make it already?

And listen, you collective heads of knuckle, do you really honestly think the Chicago Blackhawks are going to let their captain and franchise player (whether this refers to just Toews or Toews and Kane respectively is the reader's judgment call) slip through the cracks? Do you think these things have not occurred to anyone in the Blackhawks' sizable braintrust? They are going nowhere. This is Jonathan Toews's team for years and years, sentence, graph.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you get the Brendan Morrison that we got in Anaheim at the beginning of last year, you will eat these words at the end of October.

Through the end of December, Morrison was on a line with Teemu Selanne and Chris Kunitz(and at times a revolving door at left wing. Thank you Brian Burke, you salary cap genius for forcing Bobby Ryan to the minors <_< ). Teemu Selanne is one of the premier right wingers of our generation. He is the Ducks franchise leader in every major statistical offensive category. In that time with Morrison, Teemu Selanne led the league in power play goals with something like 15. I believe he had 17 goals total. Brendan Morrison was not on Teemu's power play unit. So Teemu had 2 even strength goals. Neither were assisted by Brendan Morrison. Morrison I believe assisted to Teemu maybe 3 times in his entire 62 game stint with the Ducks. Through those 62 games, somehow he got 10+12=22 points. They were few and far between and mostly not rememberable. After being waived by the Ducks, he got a total of 6+3=9 points in his remaining 19 games with the Stars.

So if you like a second-line center with a bum left knee and 32 points in 81 games...

Enjoy! :D

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived