09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Capitals vs. Canadiens at Olympic Stadium?

The Montreal Canadiens? regular-season game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be on the agenda when the 2009-10 NHL schedule is released tomorrow.

The final tinkering to the 92nd NHL regular season will be made in the next 24 hours, but a league source indicated yesterday that a Habs home game against the Washington Capitals and star sniper Alex Ovechkin ?is still in the mix for late November.?

The indoor game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be contested on Nov. 28 or the previous Saturday to help commemorate the Canadiens? centennial celebrations that will conclude on Dec. 5 with a match against the rival Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre.

The Olympic Stadium game was an idea brought forth, discussed and met with approval at the competition committee meeting three weeks ago ? providing the NHL schedule makers could accommodate the request.

kinda had to figure that his ass was going to get fired over what happened in the off season.

How long until the new GM makes his dad head coach? No Quinneville (head) coached team has ever defeated the Red Wings. They would mostlikely have to beat Detroit to get to the Final or have somebody do thier dirty work for them.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

kinda had to figure that his ass was going to get fired over what happened in the off season.

How long until the new GM makes his dad head coach? No Quinneville (head) coached team has ever defeated the Red Wings. They would mostlikely have to beat Detroit to get to the Final or have somebody do thier dirty work for them.

-Dan

i don't think the hawks are in any real danger of going back to the conference finals. because of the salary hell they are about to deal with, they are going back to the basement.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

-Dan

i don't think the hawks are in any real danger of going back to the conference finals. because of the salary hell they are about to deal with, they are going back to the basement.

Or end up like the Flames last season riding high in January, Febuary and early March then boom Injuries happen and end your season and are screwed because of how poor you gambled in July.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

In my opinion, Tallon was doing a great job with the Hawks until he signed Hossa and screwed up the qualifying offers.

Which is why he's been reassigned.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

In my opinion, Tallon was doing a great job with the Hawks until he signed Hossa and screwed up the qualifying offers.

Which is why he's been reassigned.

He should have been fired the second after Hossa's deal was announced.

Does anyone think the Hawks did this about 2-3 weeks too late?

No. The timing is such that a successful offseason will be retroactively assigned to Bowman, whereas if it ends up not working, it'll be blamed on the outgoing Tallon.

I don't understand why everyone is citing the Hossa signing as Tallon's undoing, when the math is actually such that it's not THAT bad of a deal. If you want to point to albatross contracts under Tallon's watch, look to Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet, not Hossa. As for the rest of his body of work as a GM, it's a mixed bag, like most GMs. Versteeg and Sharp were steals. Adrian Aucoin was a bust. The farm system is deep, but the aforementioned two huge contracts are too big.

This is an organization that's committed to winning, though, make no mistake. Some of the old-guard Blackhawks fans need to step into the light and realize that winning a Stanley Cup might mean pushing out some of the crusty old cronies, and that an executive from the EVIL CHICAGO CUBS will be a part of the championship we'll eventually celebrate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone think the Hawks did this about 2-3 weeks too late?

No. The timing is such that a successful offseason will be retroactively assigned to Bowman, whereas if it ends up not working, it'll be blamed on the outgoing Tallon.

I don't understand why everyone is citing the Hossa signing as Tallon's undoing, when the math is actually such that it's not THAT bad of a deal. If you want to point to albatross contracts under Tallon's watch, look to Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet, not Hossa. As for the rest of his body of work as a GM, it's a mixed bag, like most GMs. Versteeg and Sharp were steals. Adrian Aucoin was a bust. The farm system is deep, but the aforementioned two huge contracts are too big.

This is an organization that's committed to winning, though, make no mistake. Some of the old-guard Blackhawks fans need to step into the light and realize that winning a Stanley Cup might mean pushing out some of the crusty old cronies, and that an executive from the EVIL CHICAGO CUBS will be a part of the championship we'll eventually celebrate.

I had someone at work today trying to sway me toward the conspiracy theory that McDonough had it in for Tallon, and had someone hold the letters, to ensure they were late and trigger an excuse for dismissal. Sigh. In the breath before, he tried to paint this as a bad thing when added to the departures of Savard and Havlat, even though he freely admitted that in each case, the replacement is likely an upgrade.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Capitals vs. Canadiens at Olympic Stadium?
The Montreal Canadiens' regular-season game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be on the agenda when the 2009-10 NHL schedule is released tomorrow.

The final tinkering to the 92nd NHL regular season will be made in the next 24 hours, but a league source indicated yesterday that a Habs home game against the Washington Capitals and star sniper Alex Ovechkin "is still in the mix for late November."

The indoor game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be contested on Nov. 28 or the previous Saturday to help commemorate the Canadiens' centennial celebrations that will conclude on Dec. 5 with a match against the rival Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre.

The Olympic Stadium game was an idea brought forth, discussed and met with approval at the competition committee meeting three weeks ago ? providing the NHL schedule makers could accommodate the request.

Someone should convince the Canadiens to wear Expos throwbacks :P

IeHVybT.png

I can't wait for the schedule to come out tomorrow...

I was able to find Ranger-Flyer dates but nothing else save for what we all know will be the Winter Classic:

Rangers/Flyers:

December 19th, 2009 @ Philly

December 30th, 2009 @ Madison Square Garden

January 21st, 2010 @ Philly

March 14th, 2010 @ Madison Square Garden

April 9th, 2010 @ Madison Square Garden

April 11th, 2010 @ Philly

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Someone should convince the Canadiens to wear Expos throwbacks :P

Not the players. Just Youppi!.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Flames will open up against the Edmonton Oilers, man I wish would have got the other outdoor game or as in this case a big indoor game maybe one day the west will get some love.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Right after the two games in Helsinki against the Panthers. Smart move sending the Blackhawks to Finland, as they've demonstrated such a long-lasting commitment to drafting and developing Scandinavian players rather than boring old Canadians and Americans. I guess hosting a huge hometown crowd at the Winter Classic has to be balanced out by taking a home game away from the league's best-drawing team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived