09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Vancouver gets to play 14 straight road games this season, meaning they don't have a home date between January 27th and March 13th. Ouch.

I know the Olympics are in town, but that's brutal...

And I know they usually stagger their trips because of where they play, and I know they have some extended homestands, but yeesh.

Now they'll feel the brunt of what the Flames went through last season because of the Brier.

or perhaps the 1988 Olympics?

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vancouver gets to play 14 straight road games this season, meaning they don't have a home date between January 27th and March 13th. Ouch.

I know the Olympics are in town, but that's brutal...

And I know they usually stagger their trips because of where they play, and I know they have some extended homestands, but yeesh.

Now they'll feel the brunt of what the Flames went through last season because of the Brier.

or perhaps the 1988 Olympics?

True 8 games is better then 14 I guess

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Once again, NBC nixes a big event involving the Caps:
Usual Suspects has learned the NHL has shelved plans for a special re-launch of its 2009-10 season in the first week of March, following the Vancouver Olympics.

The centrepiece was to be a game featuring Sidney Crosby's Pittsburgh Penguins and Alex Ovechkin's Capitals in Washington. The concept was to capitalize on the profile hockey will gain in the United States from the Vancouver Games by featuring Crosby and Ovechkin, the NHL's top two TV attractions, in a special venue in the U.S. capital - possibly the National Mall.

According to sources with knowledge of the plans, details were discussed during meetings at the NHL draft last month, but there was not enough time to pull all the elements together. In particular, NBC was reluctant to commit to the time after putting its main schedule on hiatus for the 16-day Olympic break. Instead, when it announces the 2009- 10 schedule Wednesday, the NHL will concentrate on its now-traditional New Year's Day Winter Classic set for Fenway Park in Boston and the Montreal Canadiens/Capitals spectacular at Olympic Stadium in Montreal on Nov. 28.

the NHL just reupped with NBC? ugh. We'll never get a big game.

Ya know what? :censored: them. Our big games will come during the Finals.

Usual Suspects has learned the NHL has shelved plans for a special re-launch of its 2009-10 season in the first week of March, following the Vancouver Olympics.

The centrepiece was to be a game featuring Sidney Crosby's Pittsburgh Penguins and Alex Ovechkin's Capitals in Washington. The concept was to capitalize on the profile hockey will gain in the United States from the Vancouver Games by featuring Crosby and Ovechkin, the NHL's top two TV attractions, in a special venue in the U.S. capital - possibly the National Mall.

According to sources with knowledge of the plans, details were discussed during meetings at the NHL draft last month, but there was not enough time to pull all the elements together. In particular, NBC was reluctant to commit to the time after putting its main schedule on hiatus for the 16-day Olympic break. Instead, when it announces the 2009- 10 schedule Wednesday, the NHL will concentrate on its now-traditional New Year's Day Winter Classic set for Fenway Park in Boston and the Montreal Canadiens/Capitals spectacular at Olympic Stadium in Montreal on Nov. 28.

:lol:

oBIgzrL.png

And you're laughing at what exactly? You lost faith in your team before they stormed to the Finals.

And you're laughing at what exactly? You lost faith in your team before they stormed to the Finals.

Here we go with that again. Just because a guy says his 10th-place-and-falling team probably wont make the playoffs and is better off building for next year...

Hey, you guys can make it. Just as long as you don't play us again...

Nothing personal, just really bored and excited for this coming season, so I thought id stur up some rivalry talk. And that post was just the perfect setup.

oBIgzrL.png

The Blues' schedule seems fair. The opening set in Stockholm with Detroit should be a fun viewing. Other than that, they have a 6 game road trip immediately following the Olympic break, which I guess should be an optimal time for such as they should be well rested. Maybe having few, if any, Olympians will work as an advantage?

I'm OK with NBC so long as they fire Milbury & McGuire, which unfortunately I doubt will happen. We know they won't have Pang much anymore, if at all, as he stated as much when hired by the Blues.

Last, the Winter Classic '10 is about as compelling to me as a Flyers/Bruins game. Oh, wait...

Here we go with that again. Just because a guy says his 10th-place-and-falling team probably wont make the playoffs and is better off building for next year...

Nothing personal, just really bored and excited for this coming season, so I thought id stur up some rivalry talk. And that post was just the perfect setup.

Anything is possible, but what I really loathe is when fans quit on their team during the season and then celebrate their success in the playoffs. That really grinds my gears.

Anything is possible, but what I really loathe is when fans quit on their team during the season and then celebrate their success in the playoffs. That really grinds my gears.

Wrong thread. :D

-Dan :D

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Let me start off by saying that I am not ripping Crosby, he is damn good. He is hands down one of the top 10 players in the NHL without a doubt. However...

Crosby has won the ESPY for best NHL player for the 3rd year in a row.

Crosby did win the Hart and Pearson in 2007, but Ovechkin has won both awards for the last two years. Ovechkin's main competition for those awards have been Malkin, who is a teammate of Crosby, lead the league in scoring and just won the Conn Smythe.

The fans that voted for that award were way off the mark.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Wrong thread. :D

-Dan :D

Thanks B)

Let me start off by saying that I am not ripping Crosby, he is damn good. He is hands down one of the top 10 players in the NHL without a doubt. However...

Crosby did win the Hart and Pearson in 2007, but Ovechkin has won both awards for the last two years. Ovechkin's main competition for those awards have been Malkin, who is a teammate of Crosby, lead the league in scoring and just won the Conn Smythe.

-Dan

Since when has ESPN been knowledgeable about hockey?

-Dan

If ESPN chose it then that'd be a reasonable response, but the ESPYs are a fan vote thing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

-Dan

Since when has the espys meant anything?

-Dan

Since when has the espys meant anything?

Apparently since 1993, but realistically, they've never mattered.

Flames have clamied Nigel Dawes off waivers I really like this guy followed him a lot during his junior days and he is reunited with is former World Juniors coach Brent Sutter hopefully the fresh start can ignite is career this signing makes up for Sutts signing Brian McGratton.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

For the last effing time:

Saying your team probably wont make the playoffs, and if they do they probably wont make it far, when they're tenth in the conference and dropping is not quitting on them, its being realistic.

I really loathe being told I did things i didn't do.

You want confidence? I'm saying it right now. Pens repeat. And i'm sticking by it till the end.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived