09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Here is some great news the Calgary Flames are in discussion to have the 2nd Outdoor game on New Years Day and Great for Iggy winning the Messier he's very deserving.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282276

If this does happen I'll be the first in line.

I saw that earlier.

I mean really, NHL? You have a great thing going here, don't try to over saturate the populous with it. The once a year schtick really makes this event even better than it already is. The exclusivity of being selected to play I think made it something really fun as a fan of a particular team to watch.

Now to play devils advocate here, there's a lot of money to be made at these type of events so thinking that way it is a great a idea.

Over time though, don't you have to think that it's going to sour with the non-hockey fan faster with double the games?

I can't see a over saturation of the gimmick if they keep one game between US teams and the other between two Canadian teams and only shown in Canada.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is some great news the Calgary Flames are in discussion to have the 2nd Outdoor game on New Years Day and Great for Iggy winning the Messier he's very deserving.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282276

If this does happen I'll be the first in line.

I saw that earlier.

I mean really, NHL? You have a great thing going here, don't try to over saturate the populous with it. The once a year schtick really makes this event even better than it already is. The exclusivity of being selected to play I think made it something really fun as a fan of a particular team to watch.

Now to play devils advocate here, there's a lot of money to be made at these type of events so thinking that way it is a great a idea.

Over time though, don't you have to think that it's going to sour with the non-hockey fan faster with double the games?

I can't see a over saturation of the gimmick if they keep one game between US teams and the other between two Canadian teams and only shown in Canada.

Then you're painfully myopic.

The only bright spot to this is, eventually, the weather is going to make the Classic a disaster, and having another game further north will only help to ensure that at least one game that day will go off without a hitch.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Move the Awards Show back to Toronto, where it belongs.

Move the NHL headquarters back to Canada, where it belongs.

I like the idea of Calgary hosting an outdoor game but the NHL has to keep it to 1 per season. It'll get watered down and lose any value that it has.

If anything, next year should be Toronto vs. Montreal outdoor in either Toronto or Montreal (they can find a place). The two most historic franchises in the game need to play outdoors.

beLEAF

As of now, the two main opponents being bandied about for the Calgary game are Vancouver and Toronto. Although Toronto would be a better national draw, I like the idea of the western rivalry game. Leave Toronto for Montreal or for an original six matchup.

Of course, I only want to see Calgary-Vancouver for the potential of a Blazers-Cowboys matchup, but whatever. The idea of the V coming back also appeals to me on a very base level.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As of now, the two main opponents being bandied about for the Calgary game are Vancouver and Toronto. Although Toronto would be a better national draw, I like the idea of the western rivalry game. Leave Toronto for Montreal or for an original six matchup.

Of course, I only want to see Calgary-Vancouver for the potential of a Blazers-Cowboys matchup, but whatever. The idea of the V coming back also appeals to me on a very base level.

Well Vancouver also has the Olympics about a month and a half after that game, so it'd be a great tie-in for promotions and whatnot if they faced off vs. the Flames.

They could also market it as the last Canadian city to host an Olympics vs. the newest one...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Calgary-Edmonton would make more sense, no? Yes Edmonton has already hosted an outdoor game, but it wasn't a "Winter Classic", so technically they haven't had one yet.

Toronto-Montreal needs to be highly considered for the near future as well.

Calgary-Edmonton would make more sense, no? Yes Edmonton has already hosted an outdoor game, but it wasn't a "Winter Classic", so technically they haven't had one yet.

But the Heritage Classic was the experimental game for the 08/09 Winter Classics!

:upside:

Yeah, it's hard to call that a "Winter" classic when the game was played in the fall....

I saw, I came, I left.

Honestly, no one, players, owners, etc. want the Award Show in Toronto. Ask anyone where they'd rather go Toronto or Vegas and it's Vegas hands down. Nothing against Toronto, but it's reality. On the Winter Classic, what I'd do and this would be my ideal scenario is play the first game in the morning with a U.S. team hosting it unless it's West Coast and on the beach, then I'd have a Canadian team host the second game between two Canadian teams. Now I would rotate the host for the Canadian teams so every team would host and each team in 6 years should play a home and road game in it. I would have NBC or Versus do a combo show with Hockey Night in Canada for the first game as you could have both crews comment before, during, and after the first game and do the same thing for the second with NBC or Versus hosting the HNC feed. I say put it on NBC since all the networks will loose college football in 2011 with the Rose Bowl heading off to ESPN. You play the first game at 1 PM EST and the second game about 8 or 8:30 EST so that it's after the Rose Bowl.

Contrary to an earlier report, the Flyers were not officially invited to participate in the WC. The NHL is apparently moving forward with their plans sans Philadelphia, so (not that we already didn't figure on this,) it looks like Washington won the final battle with the Flyers for the spot against Boston.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?...&feedID=695

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm wondering if the Thrashers are going to sign a big name center for Kovy.

Let's worry about Kovalchuk re-signing.....the 2009-10 season is the last year of his current deal.

Personally, I think the Thrashers' top priority is defense. As of right now, their defensemen are Bogosian, Enstrom, Valabik, Hainsey, and kids. They need that shut-down defenseman badly.

How is that a joke? It's a great marketing move. One of the leagues brightest stars against an up and coming team at one of the nations premier sporting venues.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Wait, Washington is playing Boston in the WC at Fenway?

What a joke.

Forgive him because he obviously doesn't know what good hockey is watching the real joke that the Leafs are all these years. He's just in some delusional state thinking someone cares about the Leafs. It's not a joke to have two of the league's top teams face off with the league's best goalie and defenseman on Boston and the league's best player on Washington.

Archived