09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Isn't DiPietro out for an injury kind of like Milton Bradley out for an injury or suspended for a blow up. It's not a matter of "if" but when. This signing says everything that you need to know about him, the Isles have no confidence in him staying healthy and will try and dump him ASAP. He probably has all world talent, but injuries once they start happening keep coming. He's a risk an you can't rely on him. As far as the Federov story, we could number this story 10,002 of athletes getting ripped off because they assume the other person is legit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great. Loving hearing about Hossa's shoulder surgery. Just be healthier than Havlat.

I'm not too worried. Your first line is still Sharp-Toews-Kane, a force to be reckoned with. The way I had sketched it out, we were looking at a second line of Hossa-Bolland-Versteeg, followed by Ladd-Madden-Byfuglien on the checking line and Eager-Kopecky-Burish rounding it out for grinding/PKing. The Blackhawks are enviably deep at forward. The conservative route, if you're just looking for proven bodies, would be to plug Colin Fraser or Troy Brouwer in on the fourth line, promoting Ladd back to the second line with Bolland, and Eager up to the third. If you want to take a chance on some of your unproven commodities, you have Jack Skille, Kyle Beach, and Akim Aliu waiting in the wings as well. Beach and Aliu have high upside, but word is out that they're, if not "locker room cancers," maybe prone to giving off sparks. Skille is a particularly enticing option, because he's a first-round talent that nonetheless does not appear to figure into the team's long-term plans. If he can make an impact in Hossa's stead, perhaps another team can be talked into trading for him.

Too many fans are chickenlittling and demanding the severed head of John McDonough. It sucks, yeah, but you have to look for the positives here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bruins traded defenseman Aaron Ward to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 4th Round Pick. Eaves was placed on waivers for the purpose of being bought out.

I'm guessing this was a cost-cutting move to make room for Derek Morris, who the Bruins signed today to a 1 year, $3.3 million deal.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Wow, Brain Burke just pulled a JFJ trade

Link

The best thing Burke got out of that deal was the 2nd Round Draft Pick, Primeau will be on the 4th line or healthy scratch most of the time.... That's if he's not hurt.

When I saw this deal I just threw my hands up and said Thank You, Sutter has done a masterful job doing the one thing I've wished for is bolster up Abbotsford and make the farm a nice place to be. Outside of the Brian McGratton signing Sutter has done a great job this summer.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Bruins traded defenseman Aaron Ward to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 4th Round Pick. Eaves was placed on waivers for the purpose of being bought out.

I'm guessing this was a cost-cutting move to make room for Derek Morris, who the Bruins signed today to a 1 year, $3.3 million deal.

So Scott Walker and Aaron Ward are teammates now.

NHL looking into front loaded, long term deals.

Because of growing concerns over the manner in which teams are locking up top players to front-loaded, long-term contracts, the National Hockey League has launched an investigation into the recent signings of Marian Hossa and Chris Pronger, sources told ESPN.com.

The NHL will hire an outside firm to determine whether the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers discussed a time line for Hossa's or Pronger's potential retirement before the long-term contracts were signed.

At the end of the investigation the NHL will decide whether to pursue charges against the the teams for circumventing the collective bargaining agreement. The teams could face fines, the loss of draft picks or both.

I think Datsyuk is on a long-term frontloaded contract as well, but no biggie. The Red Wings are God's children, rebuilding the spirit of Detroit...with slapshots!

I'm probably missing something, but isn't a front-loaded deal just the smart thing to do in the case of a guy like Hossa? When are you going to want to pay him the most? The first several years of the deal when he's still in his prime and an elite goal scorer. When are you going to want to pay him a little less, but still a decent amount? When he drops off a bit with age but is still an effective veteran presence on your team. And when do you want to pay him $1 million a year? When he's 40 and probably a role player, and when you could easily trade him to a cup contender with that salary if the Hawks are in the cellar or something.

Yeah that sounds pretty crappy to me. I don't like the idea of punishing teams because they are crafty. What about the DiPietro deal? I guess they're assuming the Isles have been punished enough for that one.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'm probably missing something, but isn't a front-loaded deal just the smart thing to do in the case of a guy like Hossa? When are you going to want to pay him the most? The first several years of the deal when he's still in his prime and an elite goal scorer. When are you going to want to pay him a little less, but still a decent amount? When he drops off a bit with age but is still an effective veteran presence on your team. And when do you want to pay him $1 million a year? When he's 40 and probably a role player, and when you could easily trade him to a cup contender with that salary if the Hawks are in the cellar or something.

The problem for example is look at Zetterberg's contract. He makes 3 mil in 2019 and 1 mil in 2020 and 2021. This significantly reduces the cap hit and he will probably retire by 2019 when he will be 38 years old.

Is Zetterberg really going to play until he is 40? Is Hossa really going to play until he is 42? Will Franzen still be playing at 39?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The problem for example is look at Zetterberg's contract. He makes 3 mil in 2019 and 1 mil in 2020 and 2021. This significantly reduces the cap hit and he will probably retire by 2019 when he will be 38 years old.

Is Zetterberg really going to play until he is 40? Is Hossa really going to play until he is 42? Will Franzen still be playing at 39?

-Dan

Oh, okay. So possible retirement is the big issue...well, I can see that, I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

This is a league where great players routinely play into their early forties. The idea of Zetterberg or Hossa lacing up at 42 isn't so far-fetched as to raise eyebrows clear off one's face. If the contracts called for these guys to make the league minimum in their age 56 seasons, maybe the league would have a case. I honestly think a lot of this stems from Old Time Hockey Guys trying to get Not Hockey Guy John McDonough out of their fraternity. Rocky seems to have too much faith in McDonough's work (and should, I mean, look) to let these crusty-ass trogs smoke him out, but I bet the Hawks will get smacked down with the passionate fury reserved for those who retroactively break the rules.

Nikolai Zherdev was awarded $3.9 million in arbitration, an amount I don't expect the Rangers (or anyone else in the NHL for that matter) to match, he'll be a UFA and probably head to the KHL.

Another reason we should've held on to Tyutin in hindsight...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived