Ice Cats - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

Sorry if this rehashes already mentioned stuff...

Love the pose...

Grey looks washed out (like MikeB7 said)

Needs some lines to help delineate the back posture a little... the front legs and paws are obvious, and you can sort of tell how the back is, but it's very convoluted...

Relatedly, less detail on the back...

Why not try having YORK be the focal point of the wordmark element (and have a small "ICE CATS" underneath? It seems everybody has the team nickname as the focal point, and in the case especially, the location is a little bit of an afterthought...

Icy eyes are way cool, but perhaps emphasize the icyness a little more if possible.

Grrreat work.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK boys.

V2.0

I've put the wordmark to the side for a second. (Sy, like the idea of focusing on York...I'll try that.)

There are four versions here. First, I simplified the cat altogether, and I've included that in case someone wants to "spot" it themselves or so you can see how simple I've busted it down too.

The other three are just color variations. Light grey is replaced with mint on two of them, which helps sell through the idea of ice and doesnt distract too much I dont think.

THoughts?

coming around or still too detaily for some?

The problem will be keeping the gold and the spots, which I love, and not letting them render the image flat and dizzying. For what its worth, I think the bigger the spots the better. Some, like on his left shoulder, work just awesome with the fur and depth and some, not so much.

icecats_2.jpg

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I like the improvements. At that size, I like the bottom-left one the best. I do think, however, that the upper-left one would be more versatile for reproduction, and maybe communicates the "ice" part better.

I like the one without the spots, though I'd be curious to see a version that had the black parts of the spots, but not the gold/tan/whichever.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

For simplicity's sake, the top left would probably be best. A few possible suggestions....

1. Gold eyes. That way you can continue to use the gold.

2. Just add black spots to solve the depth issue. Just a thought on that one... no idea how good it will look though.

One question on this... what are you thinking as far as jersey? As much as it is lamented on this board, I'm thinking thrashers alt would work well for the dark.

Feedback noted.....thank you all.

The upper left is pretty much naked, and there in case you were wondering what was "line" and what was "spot".

With that said, maybe I need to keep that in the corner and keep pushing toward simple.

One question on this... what are you thinking as far as jersey? As much as it is lamented on this board, I'm thinking thrashers alt would work well for the dark.

If I can play up the right proportion of grey, teal, and black, I think San Jose is the obvious choice. I don't think bits of gold would look bad on that one either.

OK......slight variation V3.0

Note that the spots have been backed out to a mid level gray....not quite as popping with the gold I know, but then the black linework helps to distinguish what is cat shape vs pelt pattern.

I'm undecided on the issue.

Also, raise your hand if kittie needs a tail! I am getting several responses that it looks like a polar bear. My inner snob wants to enlighten that basically any artic animal adopts these same colorings and then bring forth the snowy owl-cats!!!........but that part of me is a jackass and only kidding. The fact is, if the viewer sees it, it's probably there and worth considering....so tail/ice/cat is born.

yeah /nay kids?

EDIT: problem is, tail/ice/cat may not fit on jersey. darnit!

ANyone listening? PING! PING OVER HERE!

S.O.S

icecats_3.jpg

I like the bottom left. The newest version feels washed out again. I totally understand what you are trying to do with it, but I'm afriad our eyes have been trained to see black outlines on logos,a nd when you shift them grey, while more accurate, our eyes see faded-ness.

The tail on the last one is an interesting item. I didn't miss the tail on the others until it showed up on the last one. Now, the rest look like they are all mynx...es? (like they are each and every one, a mynx)

But I also agree that adding the tail makes the logo too long. Perhaps curl it back across his body, over HIS left shoulder, int he space above his head? This allows use of the tail, but doesn't stretch out the proportions of the logo, making it too long.

Spots- something about the gold spots on his back look... odd. I think they make his back look 2 dimensional. Can you draw them more like fat ovals, rather than circles. I think the oval look would give htem percpective, and would give the cat dimension.

I love the gold and teal.

Makes me wonder what color jerseys these guys have!

Nice job, ster.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

OK......slight variation V3.0

Note that the spots have been backed out to a mid level gray....not quite as popping with the gold I know, but then the black linework helps to distinguish what is cat shape vs pelt pattern.

I'm undecided on the issue.

Also, raise your hand if kittie needs a tail! I am getting several responses that it looks like a polar bear. My inner snob wants to enlighten that basically any artic animal adopts these same colorings and then bring forth the snowy owl-cats!!!........but that part of me is a jackass and only kidding. The fact is, if the viewer sees it, it's probably there and worth considering....so tail/ice/cat is born.

yeah /nay kids?

EDIT: problem is, tail/ice/cat may not fit on jersey. darnit!

ANyone listening? PING! PING OVER HERE!

S.O.S

icecats_3.jpg

Hmmm... maybe put the tail on the other side?? Like, just a piece, or maybe wrap the tail........ one other thing has been bothering me... I don't see a discernable tongue. I see a big "teal hole"...

Again the simplicity issue is creeping in... Maybe the head can be the chestpiece??

Again, I say great work... I hate being a critic when I can't really do it myself.

:notworthy::hockeysmiley::notworthy:

Thanks Paynomind.

I think you may be on to something.

The spots are tremendously flattening. yet, in 2 or 3 places where they really work, they are defining the form.

Sculpting with Spots 101.

im on it.

Sterling, that's a nice piece of work you've got there!

The craftmanship, as always, is spectacular. But, that pose doesn't really do it for me. I think he looks too scrunched up, like his torso isn't very long, and as a result, his back left foot (left in the logo, right foot from the cat's perspective) looks like it's tucked under his front leg. I think maybe if you reworked it a bit to elongate that torso, it might look more proper. Other than that, it's top notch, man.

Simply put...

Version 2.0, upper right or lower left.

The use of Grey for the spots seems far too "washed out". Ditto, with using Grey highlights on the pelt, as opposed to the Mint (the Mint really does communicate that "icy" feel). I also don't think that a tail is necessary. It's clearly NOT a polar bear. Still, if you felt that you absolutely had to have a tail, keep it on the same side it is now... closer to the ground... a bit thinner... and have it curving towards the front paw.

As for the pose you've chosen... WOW! Frankly, that's a big part of my love of this logo. It's DIFFERENT!!! It captures perfectly that one final moment when whatever is pi$$ing this cat off has it's last chance to escape before... "Kitty" springs forward and does some SERIOUS mofo damage. Brilliant.

Brian in Boston

Now, I like the tail there, but you may have problems using it as a crest. Bomb may be on to something there, with using just the head as the main crest, maybe use the full cat on the shoulders.

I also disagree with it looking washed out. The black spots were too distracting, took away from the main shape. These blend more. The spots aren't supposed to be the focal point--that's not where the "pop" should come from.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think I'd actually prefer to see the full body logo used as the main crest. If ro's Cougar and Sterling's Icecat head both got approved, you'd have two growling cat heads as logos in a league comprised of four teams. The full body gives it some distinction from ro's Cougar, in my opinion.

My opinions on the current list of issues -

Use the whole cat.

The pose is awesome, totally pissed off and cornered, about to kick major ass.

The tongue looks like a teal taco in his mouth. Is that what it is supposed to look like?

The spots looks better black, like the outline of every other thing in the drawing. If you really wanted to do the spots in another color, try a darker version of the teal, or the yellow, or something other than grey, which looks like faded black.

Sterling DOES in fact, kick ass.

I look forward to the next iteration!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived