Ice Cats - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

If ro's Cougar and Sterling's Icecat head both got approved

Or YOURS Mr. Modest :P

Seriously, thanks for all the effort guys.

Kind of a hot button issue.......that means passion which means we're on the right track.

I'll keep at it, and try to encorporate your suggestions and the text.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm speaking hypothetically, of course. :)

I would very much like it if mine got chosen, but again... we'd still have a couple of screaming cat heads. I'm itching so bad to do something... different... unique. Never been done. Know what I mean? I could list a dozen teams who have cat head logos that all function the same way...

No tail. Absolute minimum in the way of spots (I liked none, actually)... mint/icy blueish-green colour for the highlights... full body for the logo.

I think attacking cats have been done to death, and although it could be done well *again*, I think a dangerously cornered wildcat is cool. It's got the coiled spring action happening.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Okay, well admittedly, I've been skimming through some of these posts. I can somewhat agree, Brian. I think the pose is nice, but I still feel the body beeds to be elongated. I'm slowly starting to kind of agree with the whole "cornered, aggressiveness" thing, but I'm still not really feeling it for some reason. Maybe I'll feel different in the morning.

Lots of great feedback here. Don't know if I can add anything new. I love the pose especially how you indicate the curvature of the spine. I see it as a defensive pose the instant before it becomes an offensive one, if that makes any sense. I agree with Nitro about the back hind leg and paw distorting the foreshortened stance. A few tweaks there and it'll be fine.

I kind of like the gray/gold muted spots and shadows. It gives it that frosty feel and embiggens the black outlines. :D I also like the curled tongue, gives me the sense that the Ice Cat is hissing.

Try reducing the logo down to see how the spots and detailing hold up. It may need further simplification but you are heading in a good direction. I also agree that a full body crest is in order to contrast the Cougar heads.

The tail. I don't mind seeing a tail but I don't like the size of it. I'd like to see an implication of a tail on the opposite side perhaps. So that you can keep the overall logo shape compact for the crest. I personally don't mind the tail not being there.

Phenomenal rendering and concept. I ain't touchin this one. Maybe a wordmark if you are still going for that icy look and feel. This project is getting way out of hand. just sickening how well it is working out. :notworthy:

...I see it as a defensive pose the instant before it becomes an offensive one, if that makes any sense...

Kind of like a cobra when it about to bite. I see that too.

Great rendering and I cant wait to see what would be coming up next.

Doh!

I agree that it doesn't need a tail. But if you're set on doing one... then use the suggestion Brian in Boston said. If people can't tell the difference between a polar bear and a cat... then they don't deserve to marvel in the true beauty and awesomeness of this logo.

IUe6Hvh.png

I like the tail, as it clearly indicates that the animal is a cat, and because I think it can add some dramatic movement and excitement. But I agree with others that the tail as it is in the most recent concept would not fit on a jersey. I'll try to explain a different placement for it: Maybe if the "S" shape of the tail was a backwards "S" and then rotated so that it came up high off the haunches and then swooped down, echoing the curve of the back, and then curved back up above the head area. Or maybe I'm making no sense at all. But if you do understand what I am saying, it could crate a shape that would fit as a sweater crest. Just my two cents. Great-looking and progressing logo, in any case.

Here is my cheap, quick sketch PONG on the tail treatment.

Whatcha think? All I did was move and recolor the tail. Admittedly cheap and dirty, but I didn't have the .ai

icecats.gif

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Definetly like the positioning of the tail better in paynomind's rendering. It changes the whole perception of Kitty's stance... now he's ready to pounce, rather than seemingly cornered. Works better for a jersey crest, too.

I have one concern about the color scheme... I like the icy teal and gold, but it's starting to feel like a frosted-over Jacksonville Jaguars package.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

V4.0

I think this is getting really close. ANyone wants to begin throwing wordmark ideas around.........come on down.

Let it be said, I like the version with gold. I just do. Snow Leopards retain their african colors only within the spots. But, since I appreciate others opinions and accept that they may be right, I give you white spots and teal spots. I think they all look good.

I just hope you tell me gold looks best.

icecats_4.jpg

I've flipped the tail, fixed the taco tongue ^_^ and further simplified and localized the spots themselves.

Whatcha think?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I like the Gold spots best. That's a detail that is inherent to your original gut instinct to go with a snow leopard as the basis for this design; it's part and parcel of their coloration, so by all means utilize it in your logo.

I love the shading on the back and rear legs to give depth.

The new tongue looks terrific.

As for the tail... I'm not feeling it in this current position. It seems to be coming out of nowhere. Either that, or it's a malformed rear leg. As I said before, IMHO if you absolutely must include a tail, I'd place it on the left-hand side of the logo... close to the ground... curving away from the leopard and then back towards his head (roughly in a "C" shape).

It's getting there. I'll tell you... if they don't buy it from you, I'm going to find a way to use this thing!!!

Brian in Boston

I like the Gold spots best. That's a detail that is inherent to your original gut instinct to go with a snow leopard as the basis for this design; it's part and parcel of their coloration, so by all means utilize it in your logo.

I love the shading on the back and rear legs to give depth.

The new tongue looks terrific.

As for the tail... I'm not feeling it in this current position. It seems to be coming out of nowhere. Either that, or it's a malformed rear leg. As I said before, IMHO if you absolutely must include a tail, I'd place it on the left-hand side of the logo... close to the ground... curving away from the leopard and then back towards his head (roughly in a "C" shape).

It's getting there. I'll tell you... if they don't buy it from you, I'm going to find a way to use this thing!!!

Brian in Boston

Agreed on all counts...

I'll expand a bit on the tail... it interferes with the back curve because it pops out just at the point where the black neck/spine line ends... looks almost like an extension of that. I'd strongly prefer no tail, but if it must be, I'd do it like BiB suggested.

Great work.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm going to have to disagree with these two, I like the tail on the right side. (I'm also wondering what happened to the silver spots, rather than the black.) It might be better if you lessened the outline/shading on the top side of the tail, to de-emphasize that area.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I gotta go with:

-tail, right side (you did this awesome but the thick black does make it a little messed)

-definitely no gold, it just doesn't look right, maybe because there is no gold prevalent in any other aspect of the logo but I don't like it. Go with the iceblue spots or the white but no gold or grey)

Excellent work Sterling. Incredible work! Keep it up! I'd be proud to be the littlest part of help for this logo.

Sterling, Excellent job, brother....

My opinions (throwing two copper Lincolns into the circle)

Gold spots for sure. When you rid them, the design has few contrasts,a nd looks washed out, just like the greay outlined spots did.

The tounge is much better, I dig it.

The tail, oh the tail. I LOVE it to the right as you have done. But I feel these guys' hesitations. I do see their point that it comes out of nowhere and seems disconnected. I hate to reference by 45 second, cheap photoshop job, but I will anyway...

icecats.gif

See where i made the tail come out of the center, just above his spine? I thjink that works a touch better to display tail-dom. Could you add the line of his tail over his back kinda like that?

By the way, I love the coloring, the back leg looks great, the pose is wonderfully done.

Good job, sterling. I'll be your wingman anytime.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived