Buffalo News: Expect White Bills Throwbacks

Top Shelf

June 11, 2009

White throwbacks

The Bills revealed in their training camp press release that on their night practice at training camp on July 30, they will lauch the official Bills jersey commemorating the 50th anniversary of the AFL. They already have a blue throwback for sale. They play a road game at Tennessee in which they will wear a throwback jersey. So expect them to be unveiling a white 1960s era jersey at that night practice at St. John Fisher.

---Mark Gaughan

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...throwbacks.html

Awesome. I hope this is exactly what happens.

IeHVybT.png

June 11, 2009

White throwbacks

The Bills revealed in their training camp press release that on their night practice at training camp on July 30, they will lauch the official Bills jersey commemorating the 50th anniversary of the AFL. They already have a blue throwback for sale. They play a road game at Tennessee in which they will wear a throwback jersey. So expect them to be unveiling a white 1960s era jersey at that night practice at St. John Fisher.

---Mark Gaughan

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...throwbacks.html

Awesome. I hope this is exactly what happens.

If only they'd go to them full-time...even though they never will because of the Jets' and Fish's white helmets, but I can dream, can't I?

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

IMO, their current helmet without the silly stripe with navy and gray would look fine with the throwbacks.

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that at one point the Fish, Bills, Jets and Pats all had white helmets.

IMO, their current helmet without the silly stripe with navy and gray would look fine with the throwbacks.

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that at one point the Fish, Bills, Jets and Pats all had white helmets.

Don't forget about the Colts - they were in the division as well, with, well, white helmets.

Yep, the AFC East was five white helmets for many years... '70s and perhaps barely into the '80s. Going off memory (and I'm sure one of you will research this and correct me if I'm wrong!), the Jets move to a green helmet was the first non-white helmet in the division. Then the Bills went red, the Pats went silver, and then the Colts left the division.

Yep, the AFC East was five white helmets for many years... '70s and perhaps barely into the '80s. Going off memory (and I'm sure one of you will research this and correct me if I'm wrong!), the Jets move to a green helmet was the first non-white helmet in the division. Then the Bills went red, the Pats went silver, and then the Colts left the division.

Correct - every AFC East wore a white helmet from 1970-1977. The Jets went to green in 1978; the Bills were next, changing to red in 1984. The Patriots made the switch to silver in 1993. From 1993-1997 only the Dolphins and Colts wore white; in 1998 the Jets went back to white (and in 2002 the Colts were moved when the league realigned).

Correct - every AFC East wore a white helmet from 1970-1977. The Jets went to green in 1978; the Bills were next, changing to red in 1984. The Patriots made the switch to silver in 1993. From 1993-1997 only the Dolphins and Colts wore white; in 1998 the Jets went back to white (and in 2002 the Colts were moved when the league realigned).

The Bills changed to red in 1984 ostensibly to help QB Joe Ferguson, who tossed 25 INTs in 1983 alone. (He threw 61 passes to the team in the wrong jerseys from 1981-83 :blink: )

Did it help? Well Ferguson tossed 'only' 17 INTs in 1984...but threw only 12 TDs, whereas in 1983 he had thrown 26. Of course '84 was the year the Bills started out 0-11 too.

I wish the Jets would go back to the Gang Green look.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I wish the Jets would go back to the Gang Green look.

Really? I'm always surpised anybody would prefer the green helmet to the classic Joe-Willys.

But then, I think the Astros should go back to wearing rainbows on their bellies, so maybe I shouldn't talk.

I gotta agree about the Jets. Those were the Jets I grew up with, plus the jet logo looked sleek & modern, at the time.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Not as a big a fan of these as the blues. The striping looks (without researching) too Patriots or Oilers and the fact it doesn't match the blues is a negative to me, as that is one of the reasons I like those blue throwbacks so much. If these are true to their history, then these are obviously what they should wear, but I wouldn't advocate a full-time return for the white uni.

GLP_BTS_127.jpg

GLP_BTS_129.jpg

GLP_BTS_115.jpg

The Bills NEVER HAD sleeve or pants stripes that looked anything like this. If anything, those pants look like Patriots throwbacks. I don't know why this is so hard to get right -- from 1964-72, the Bills' white jerseys were just a mirror image of the blue ones, with four blue stripes (thin, thick, thick, thin) each surrounded by two thin red stripes. The pants striping was red-blue-red. Now, for several years in the 70s, the white jerseys inverted the striping, so that there were four red stripes each surrounded by thin blue stripes. But even those look nothing like the ones shown here -- and they wore blue pants with those, anyway.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

GLP_BTS_127.jpg

That's a whole lotta stripes, but it's a whole lotta inconsistent stripes. No thank you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Bills NEVER HAD sleeve or pants stripes that looked anything like this. If anything, those pants look like Patriots throwbacks. I don't know why this is so hard to get right -- from 1964-72, the Bills' white jerseys were just a mirror image of the blue ones, with four blue stripes (thin, thick, thick, thin) each surrounded by two thin red stripes. The pants striping was red-blue-red. Now, for several years in the 70s, the white jerseys inverted the striping, so that there were four red stripes each surrounded by thin blue stripes. But even those look nothing like the ones shown here -- and they wore blue pants with those, anyway.

Thank you. That it what I thought when I saw this. Why these uniforms? The striping looks like nothing I have sen the Bills wear, live or in pictures. Why couldn't they just reverse the Blue Throwbacks? And the pants...they look total Patriots.

I was very excited when I heard the news about a white throwback, but now am very disappointed. I just know someone in the Bills organization was too cheap to get this right. This is the whole white buffalo on the red helmet all over again.

Archived