New Logo at the bottom of the Stanley Cup

jkrdevil

Not sure how many people noticed this last night but it looks like the Stanley Cup has a new bottom to it with a new logo on it. The bottom now features what the Hockey Hall of Fame logo whereas before had some type of leaf logo.

This Year:

pittsburg-penguins.jpg

Before:

1591.jpg

Yeah, I can't really put into words what I don't like about it, but it just seemed to fight at the history of the Stanley Cup. I knows there's a few replicas used for the various situations, and I don't know whether the Cup on the ice is one of the replicas or not, but I do know that I PERCEIVE it to be the real thing. With that logo tacked on, it just looked...fake?

Oh well, it's there now. Never knew there was something else there anyways.

That is one the duplicate cups. It is technically considered one of the real cups, but there are 3 cups that are considered real.

The original cup has the "leaf" on the bottom and still does.

As per friends who work at the HHOF

That is one the duplicate cups. It is technically considered one of the real cups, but there are 3 cups that are considered real.

If that's the case, then Penguins never really "won" the Stanley Cup :P

I saw, I came, I left.

No team since (around) 1963(or 1961 - there is some confusion) has touched it. ;)

Three exist - the 'presentation', the 'house' and the 'original'. The original is incased and will never be removed because the silver has corroded so badly that it has become extremely fragile. The presentation and house are essentially the same, save for 5 lbs difference in weight (lighter) and a crap load of spelling mistakes.

The logo on the base of the cup was the original HHOF logo, long before the Front Street location was built and the Richard logo was created. It was put on this season as an 'update'. I do not believe it is on the bottom of the house cup.

I think the new base looks fantastic, it gives the public a better sense of its connection to what is associated with the HHOF.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

What is the reason for the weight difference?

-Dan

Ughhh I can't remember where I know that from, but I will say the two other cups were created in 1962 (I was so close!!) lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

No team since (around) 1963(or 1961 - there is some confusion) has touched it. ;)

Three exist - the 'presentation', the 'house' and the 'original'. The original is incased and will never be removed because the silver has corroded so badly that it has become extremely fragile. The presentation and house are essentially the same, save for 5 lbs difference in weight (lighter) and a crap load of spelling mistakes.

The logo on the base of the cup was the original HHOF logo, long before the Front Street location was built and the Richard logo was created. It was put on this season as an 'update'. I do not believe it is on the bottom of the house cup.

I think the new base looks fantastic, it gives the public a better sense of its connection to what is associated with the HHOF.

There's an easier way to find out which one's the House Cup and which one's the Presentation Cup.

I'm friends with one of the keepers of the Cup....

I'm sure the 5 pounds is the weight of the etched out names ;)

Probably just a slightly different material composition.

P.S. I think it would be cool to go to the HHOF sometime, could you ask your keeper friend what times of year the actual presentation cup is present? (I'm assuming the presentation cup is the one players take home and has the spelling errors)

There's an easier way to find out which one's the House Cup and which one's the Presentation Cup.

I'm friends with one of the keepers of the Cup....

I'm sure all of us have befriended Phil at one point or another in our lives

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

'Presentation' is 90% Silver, 10% Nickel and the 'house' is 100% silver. The house is heavier, I believe.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Don't wanna take credit for finding this because someone posted it on the Uniwatch comments but a "Stanley Cup Journal" on the HHOF website makes reference to the HHOF logo having been recently added to the bottom of the cup. The entry is about Def Leppard apparently putting the cup on the stage upside down.

Whether the Cup was intentionally placed upside down has fuelled rabid debate. If nothing else, and trying to find the silver lining, the incident gave viewers the chance to see the Hockey Hall of Fame's current logo newly engraved on the bottom of hockey's greatest trophy.
mets.png

Archived