Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland?

PittsburghSucks

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/s...nsshaq0614.html

A potential Suns trade that would send center Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland to help LeBron James' title quest is heating up again after the idea was put on a back burner following February talks.

The parts of the possible deal remain the same. Phoenix would send O'Neal to Cleveland for veteran power forward Ben Wallace, who is considering retirement, and reserve guard Sasha Pavlovic, whose final contract year is not fully guaranteed.

With O'Neal's $20 million salary (but a $21 million salary-cap number due to a trade kicker), the trade could save the Suns $9.9 million or even more if Wallace wants a buyout. The trade would save the Suns $3.1 million in payroll and projected luxury tax. Cutting Pavlovic, who has $1.5 million guaranteed in his final contract year's $4.95 million salary, could save another $6.8 million in payroll and tax.

Wallace, 34, also is entering the final year of his deal, which would pay him $14 million. He is coming off an injury-marred season that was his most unproductive in 14 seasons. Wallace would consider a buyout, but Cleveland could use him as a trade chip, particularly to get O'Neal to counter Dwight Howard, whose Orlando Magic ousted the 66-16 Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference finals.

If the Suns acquired and bought out Wallace, they would save more than the $9.9 million that a deal and Pavlovic waiver would save.

Trade interest in O'Neal, 37, has been strong after he was an All-NBA third-team selection this season. He played 75 games, his most in nine seasons, and averaged 17.8 points and 8.4 rebounds with a career-best 60.9 field-goal percentage. He has the most NBA field-goal percentage titles (10) in NBA history, one more than Wilt Chamberlain (nine).

There has been trade interest in all four returning Suns starters, but the Suns have stated an intention to keep point guard Steve Nash, who is holding off on extension talks to see how the Suns tweak the roster. He has said the team needs more-active big men. Nash had some difficulty incorporating O'Neal's post-up game after running a system based on his skills, and the pair were a particularly weak pick-and-roll defensive combination.

Wallace has lost athleticism, but the four-time Defensive Player of the Year still could be a defensive upgrade for Phoenix. After averaging 2.9 points (worst since his rookie year) and 6.5 rebounds (worst since 1997-98) this season in 56 pain-laden games, Wallace averaged 1.1 points and 2.7 rebounds in the playoffs. He suffered a broken leg and a sprained knee during the regular season.

Pavlovic, 25, is a six-year pro whose role was reduced but still hit a career-best 41 percent on 3-pointers. Pavlovic averaged 4.6 points per game as he went in and out of the rotation, going from a scoreless, 25-minute Game 3 against Orlando to six total minutes in the series' final three games.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would actually love to see this happen.

I've always been a fan of Shaq, and I think he still has some juice in him.

And he can still contribute (as mentioned in the article).

He's a legit short term answer for the Cavs, who need a stronger big-man.

But definitely not a long-term answer.

And it's just as much a business as it is a sport, so if he can find a way to "ride someones coattail" and get his 5th; then good for him.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

And it's just as much a business as it is a sport, so if he can find a way to "ride someones coattail" and get his 5th; then good for him.

Yes, yes and yes (and yes and yes, etc.)

I agree with everything in this post.

My friend and I were having an argument about Kobe and LeBron, and my friend brought up Kobe's 3 titles (although he said Kobe has four, which I won't believe until the Lakers win one more game, I still have hope for an Orlando championship). So he assumed Kobe has four championships and LeBron has zero. I countered saying if LeBron James was given Shaq in his prime, then he most likely would have won three titles as well. If this trade goes down, I know he'll say something like: LeBron better win three titles now. My friend will refuse to recognize that Shaq is no longer in his prime.

Here's what I wouldn't like about this trade: Shaq's $20 million dollar salary. I was hoping Cleveland would make a serious run at Ariza, Odom, or Turkoglu, although I don't know if they would be able to anyway. I believe the Cavs would take on something in the range of $4 to 5 million of extra salary int his trade. Would they be able to swing a trade with Ilgauskas to a team looking to shed salary (New York, Memphis, etc.) to take on a longer contract for less money ($5-6 million range:i.e. Jared Jeffries) to get that money back?

Also I thought I heard Shaq saying something in the past year about him setting a date for his retirement, it was some odd number that put his retirement in August or something, but I'm pretty sure it was after next season, when his contract is up.

Wow, could you imagine jersey sales if this happened? Cleveland already has one of the top sellers with LeBron, but imagine having POSSIBLY two?? Thatd be a great buisness move for the Cavs.

Aside from that, if Shaq goes to Cleveland, hands down they win a title. He's all they need, it was obvious during the east finals. Dwight Howard > Every big man Cleveland has ever had. Now im not saying Shaq is better right now than Dwight by any means, but itd at least help fill that void in a big way.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Yeah, this would help jersey sales and that's about it.

They should try to get Amare, rather than Shaq. Admiral said it best, if this were a few years ago then yeah, pencil in the Cavs as NBA champions if this deal goes down. Now? Not so sure.

Yes, yes and yes (and yes and yes, etc.)

I agree with everything in this post.

My friend and I were having an argument about Kobe and LeBron, and my friend brought up Kobe's 3 titles (although he said Kobe has four, which I won't believe until the Lakers win one more game, I still have hope for an Orlando championship). So he assumed Kobe has four championships and LeBron has zero. I countered saying if LeBron James was given Shaq in his prime, then he most likely would have won three titles as well. If this trade goes down, I know he'll say something like: LeBron better win three titles now. My friend will refuse to recognize that Shaq is no longer in his prime.

Here's what I wouldn't like about this trade: Shaq's $20 million dollar salary. I was hoping Cleveland would make a serious run at Ariza, Odom, or Turkoglu, although I don't know if they would be able to anyway. I believe the Cavs would take on something in the range of $4 to 5 million of extra salary int his trade. Would they be able to swing a trade with Ilgauskas to a team looking to shed salary (New York, Memphis, etc.) to take on a longer contract for less money ($5-6 million range:i.e. Jared Jeffries) to get that money back?

Also I thought I heard Shaq saying something in the past year about him setting a date for his retirement, it was some odd number that put his retirement in August or something, but I'm pretty sure it was after next season, when his contract is up.

Odom is a player I would love to see in a Cavs uniform.

He can be inconsistent at times; but he is still a huge contributer.

Didn't he come to L.A. because of the Shaq trade?

And I definitely agree that trading or somehow getting rid of Ilgauskas would be the way to go.

He is way to slow, and getting weaker and older.

I really don't care how the Cavs do it, but they need to get another semi-big name this offseason, if they want to have any idea of being a competitor next year.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Yeah, this would help jersey sales and that's about it.

They should try to get Amare, rather than Shaq. Admiral said it best, if this were a few years ago then yeah, pencil in the Cavs as NBA champions if this deal goes down. Now? Not so sure.

+1

They problems are not in the frontcourt, they are too small backcourt when they cannot play a wide open game or defend bigger players.

Mo Williams: 6'1"

Delonte West: 6'3"

Daniel Gibson: 6'2"

I see Cleveland is now in the "spectacular insanity" portion of the keep LeBron campaign.

They kill their cap space for a counterproductive move in the medium and long run, as well as possibly short run. :rolleyes: LeBron can't like that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Cavaliers are really making a run for the 2005 NBA championship.

Now that is funny. Well done.

I see Cleveland is now in the "spectacular insanity" portion of the keep LeBron campaign.

They kill their cap space for a counterproductive move in the medium and long run, as well as possibly short run. :rolleyes: LeBron can't like that.

It happens every time the fans around here begin to believe "we're this close."

And it blows up in their faces every time. See: Andre Rison, Jack McDowell, etc...ad infinitum. You're right, this latest incarnation is the "if we win a title we'll keep LeBron" logic.

BB52Big.jpg

The way I see it, the Cavs are already paying luxury tax, so I don't see them signing a huge name, and I don't think they're going to pay Varejao what his agent thinks he's worth. So, realistically, I think they can obtain one big name in a trade, and one big name with their mid-level exception, or possibly sign a middle of the road player/end of the line former star. They need a 4 or 5 who can score and play physical defense in the paint, as well as a tall 2 who can score and guard more than one position. Either way, they become better as a starting five and better off the bench by relegating current starters into that role. Shaq would be a good option as an inside scorer and physical presence in the paint, which would improve the Cavaliers perimeter defense, and they would have his twenty million dollar salary (and Ilgauskas's ten million) coming off at the end of the year to make some room for 2010 free agents. Jason Kidd might be an option as a taller guard they could sign for the mid-level, making their rotation look like this, keeping in mind I don't know which reserves they will be retaining:

Start

PG Jason Kidd

SG Mo WIlliams

SF Lebron James

PF Darnell Jackson

C Shaquille O'Neal

Backup

PG Delonte West

SG Daniel Gibson

SF JJ Hickson

PF Joe Smith

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Seems like a solid rotation, and they're only adding 2 players, which seems realistic to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The way I see it, the Cavs are already paying luxury tax, so I don't see them signing a huge name, and I don't think they're going to pay Varejao what his agent thinks he's worth. So, realistically, I think they can obtain one big name in a trade, and one big name with their mid-level exception, or possibly sign a middle of the road player/end of the line former star. They need a 4 or 5 who can score and play physical defense in the paint, as well as a tall 2 who can score and guard more than one position. Either way, they become better as a starting five and better off the bench by relegating current starters into that role. Shaq would be a good option as an inside scorer and physical presence in the paint, which would improve the Cavaliers perimeter defense, and they would have his twenty million dollar salary (and Ilgauskas's ten million) coming off at the end of the year to make some room for 2010 free agents. Jason Kidd might be an option as a taller guard they could sign for the mid-level, making their rotation look like this, keeping in mind I don't know which reserves they will be retaining:

Start

PG Jason Kidd

SG Mo WIlliams

SF Lebron James

PF Darnell Jackson

C Shaquille O'Neal

Backup

PG Delonte West

SG Daniel Gibson

SF JJ Hickson

PF Joe Smith

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Seems like a solid rotation, and they're only adding 2 players, which seems realistic to me.

I like that line up a lot for 2009-10.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Start

PG Jason Kidd

SG Mo WIlliams

SF Lebron James

PF Darnell Jackson

C Shaquille O'Neal

Backup

PG Delonte West

SG Daniel Gibson

SF JJ Hickson

PF Joe Smith

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

The Cavaliers are really making a run for the 2005 NBA championship.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Cavs need to work on fixing their posts and bringing in another got to scorer. Mo Williams can score, but he didn't show up for most of the ECF.

I would like to see the Cavs bring in some scorer like Stephen Jackson or Corey Maggette from Golden State. Then I think they'd be wise to pick up Bosh, a player who wants out of Toronto and can be a go to guy in the paint.

They'd still be missing a big body down low, so they'd need to bring in someone else, maybe Camby?

This would be, I think, a realistic Cavaliers squad:

PG - Mo Williams

SG - Maggatte

SF - LeBron

PF - Bosh

C - Camby

This would be a very good team for them, with strong shooters like Delonte, Sasha and Wally off the bench.

Archived