NBA offseason 09/10 thread

buzzcut

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Wizards get Randy Foye & Mike Miller from the Timberwolves for the 5th overall pick and a handful of scrubs (Etan Thomas, Oleksiy Pecherov & Darius Songaila).

This trade is ridiculous. The Wolves weren't THAT far off of a good team before Jefferson got hurt. Now they'll have 2 pick in the top ten, but they'll be 2 unproven players.

Kevin McHale was fired, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Wizards get Randy Foye & Mike Miller from the Timberwolves for the 5th overall pick and a handful of scrubs (Etan Thomas, Oleksiy Pecherov & Darius Songaila).

This trade is ridiculous. The Wolves weren't THAT far off of a good team before Jefferson got hurt. Now they'll have 2 pick in the top ten, but they'll be 2 unproven players.

Kevin McHale was fired, right?

But why try so hard for a weak draft? Last year, I would've understood, but not with this crop.

GR30a5H.png

I know one thing, I don't have any ill will towards RJ, and the prospect of Lost Joe starting scares the :cursing: outta me. That said, the only thing I'm sure of is Charlie V will be wearing a new uniform next year (do the words "contract year" mean anything to you? frankly, I was shocked he was able to stay hot for basically two months. I was not shocked when he returned to his usual inconsistent self in March.) Don't ask me who they're drafting, I have no idea. I do know something else, though:

Bucks trade Oberto to Pistons for Amir Johnson

I'm in the "keep Ramon" camp. Firmly. Most of what's been said about Johnny Flynn sounds similar to Ramon's skillset, only without the NBA experience. If I was the T-Wolves GM, I would pick Flynn, no question. Telfair sucks. Ramon, however, does not suck. And as I'm a Bucks fan, not a T-Wolves fan, I'm far more skeptical of the idea that picking a PG when they already have a good young one is a good idea (which is why I wish the "yall shoulda picked Chris Paul" camp would go somewhere already, we already had TJ Ford [whose career was carjacked by Mo "I'm Not A Winner Without Bron" Williams...yeesh. the "Next Jason Kidd" TJ got replaced by the "worse Mo" TJ]...yeh Blazers fans, we know how you feel about that "yall shoulda taken MJ" thing. Honestly...does anybody ever say the Rockets shoulda passed on Olajuwon?). Folks VASTLY overvalue scoring, but still, there's no way the Bucks can justify keeping Charlie around. If I'm John Hammond, I either draft DeJuan Blair or trade down for Tyler Hansbrough (heh, unless it's Dwayne Wade or Caron Butler, the Bucks are never gonna grab a big name free agent-and even them, I'd put it at 0.01% either of those two would ever be a Buck) and then take a swingman or a center in the second round, somebody they could stash in the D-league or Europe for a year or two. Cus hey, getting PT in the D-league is better than being the last man on the bench. I aint him though, so like I said, I have no idea what the Bucks are gonna do on Thursday. :wacko:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Maybe the Wolves are getting after something with this trade. Like possibly trading the 5th and 6th picks for either the 1st or 2nd pick. Just maybe...

They have FOUR firsts in this draft--5, 6, 18, and 28--plus two seconds. No way they're keeping them all.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Maybe the Wolves are getting after something with this trade. Like possibly trading the 5th and 6th picks for either the 1st or 2nd pick. Just maybe...

They have FOUR firsts in this draft--5, 6, 18, and 28--plus two seconds. No way they're keeping them all.

Just an off-question: has that type of thing ever happened before in the NBA draft? Almost seems as if they could draft a whole new team!

(Which I'm sure many fans say they should do anyways, since they basically just traded away half of it...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Danny Ainge is stupid.

I mean, it's obvious as day that Rondo is going to be an elite PG in the NBA, and should be the C's PG of the future if Ainge was smart. But no, he's trying his best to trade him away. This is more proof that Celtics fans should thank Kevin McHale more for that championship than the guys that are in charge now. :P

Just an off-question: has that type of thing ever happened before in the NBA draft? Almost seems as if they could draft a whole new team!

(Which I'm sure many fans say they should do anyways, since they basically just traded away half of it...)

I wouldn't think that it has happened because first round picks are guaranteed contracts. I know the Knicks once took and kept three firsts (Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, and David Lee), but because it was the Knicks in the Zeke error, I mean era, I think that was an anomaly. You're tying up a good grip of money, and a heavy percentage of roster spots on rookies for a team that's already too damn young to compete in the stupidly stacked Western Conference.

If they do keep all of the picks, I would bet the last first and both second rounders would be international players who they'll keep stashed abroad for a couple of years.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Link

Hawks-Warriors trade today.

Hawks get: Jamal Crawford

Warriors get: Acie Law & Speedy Claxton

Hawks get the benefit of a salary dump on GSW's part, and Nellie not wanting anything to do with Crawford.

I wouldn't think that it has happened because first round picks are guaranteed contracts. I know the Knicks once took and kept three firsts (Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, and David Lee), but because it was the Knicks in the Zeke error, I mean era, I think that was an anomaly. You're tying up a good grip of money, and a heavy percentage of roster spots on rookies for a team that's already too damn young to compete in the stupidly stacked Western Conference.

If they do keep all of the picks, I would bet the last first and both second rounders would be international players who they'll keep stashed abroad for a couple of years.

The Knicks actually had three first-rounders in 1996 as well. They grabbed John Wallace (18th) and Walter McCarty (19th) and took Dontae Jones at 21.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I'm liking what Minnesota is doing with the Washington trade, I think they can get some productive picks from this draft. One thing I don't understand (and I know it is just a mock draft) but why in the world does Ian Thomsen have his latest mock draft with the T-Wolves picking 3 point guards?? It makes no sense, even if Calathes stays in Europe for 2-4 years. :huh:

SI Ian Thomsen Mock Draft

Well now the Warriors-Hawks trade is being held up because Mike Woodson isn't sold on the deal...which makes no damn sense because, dammit, HE DOESN'T PLAY LAW OR CLAXTON. GETTING RID OF TWO GUYS THAT YOU YOURSELF HAVE DEEMED USELESS FOR SOMEONE WHO WOULD HAVE USE MAKES SENSE! BLOCKING THAT TRADE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! WHY MIKE WOODSON WHY?!?!

Wouldn't it be easier to simply encase LeBron's right leg in cement? The net effect would be the same.

EDIT-*reads ESPN article*

DUMB. I would gone after Chandler first, not Shaq.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Knicks actually had three first-rounders in 1996 as well. They grabbed John Wallace (18th) and Walter McCarty (19th) and took Dontae Jones at 21.

I'm kind of fuzzy on my Knicks history, but they didn't keep all three of those picks did they?

Wouldn't it be easier to simply encase LeBron's right leg in cement? The net effect would be the same.

EDIT-*reads ESPN article*

DUMB. I would gone after Chandler first, not Shaq.

How's this a "DUMB" move by the Cavs? They got Shaq for NOTHING. If it doesn't work out his contract is up at the end of the season. It's a one year stop gap so they can go after Chris Bosh and keep LeBron. Chandler would have been the "DUMB" move. Two years left on his contract and often injured. And they still have MLE money to spend for this season. It's a great move by the Cavs.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Archived