NBA offseason 09/10 thread

buzzcut

Wouldn't it be easier to simply encase LeBron's right leg in cement? The net effect would be the same.

EDIT-*reads ESPN article*

DUMB. I would gone after Chandler first, not Shaq.

How's this a "DUMB" move by the Cavs? They got Shaq for NOTHING. If it doesn't work out his contract is up at the end of the season. It's a one year stop gap so they can go after Chris Bosh and keep LeBron. Chandler would have been the "DUMB" move. Two years left on his contract and often injured. And they still have MLE money to spend for this season. It's a great move by the Cavs.

Because Chandler gives you a much better chance of winning a title? Because Shaq's just as injury-prone, if not more at this stage? Because Chandler's legs are 11 years younger? Because Chandler's 11 years younger legs support much less weight? Because Chandler allows you to establish some consistency and not make it an absolute necessity to secure both LeBron and another guy in 2010? Because it's not a good idea for a "contender" to completely retool itself every offseason? Because you can seriously consider playing Chandler before February and not worry about him running out of gas in May? Because Chris Bosh isn't a Center?

Shaq isn't the final piece. Shaq is taking pieces from your puzzle and mixing them in with pieces from a completely different puzzle and starting over.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be easier to simply encase LeBron's right leg in cement? The net effect would be the same.

How's this a "DUMB" move by the Cavs? They got Shaq for NOTHING. If it doesn't work out his contract is up at the end of the season. It's a one year stop gap so they can go after Chris Bosh and keep LeBron. Chandler would have been the "DUMB" move. Two years left on his contract and often injured. And they still have MLE money to spend for this season. It's a great move by the Cavs.

Because Chandler gives you a much better chance of winning a title? Because Shaq's just as injury-prone, if not more at this stage? Because Chandler's legs are 11 years younger? Because Chandler's 11 years younger legs support much less weight? Because Chandler allows you to establish some consistency and not make it an absolute necessity to secure both LeBron and another guy in 2010? Because it's not a good idea for a "contender" to completely retool itself every offseason? Because you can seriously consider playing Chandler before February and not worry about him running out of gas in May? Because Chris Bosh isn't a Center?

Shaq isn't the final piece. Shaq is taking pieces from your puzzle and mixing them in with pieces from a completely different puzzle and starting over.

I never said Shaq was the final piece. It makes sense because of Shaq's contract. Tell me you'd rather have Big Ben & Sasha over Shaq? If the trade doesn't work out & the Cavs get off to a bad start they can trade Shaq's expiring contract. There's a reason that all NBA teams want cap space next summer & the Cavs will have plenty of it. It's a win win move. Oh yeah, I'm sure Shaq is motivated to get another ring after what Kobe just did.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

This is a good move for the Cavs. They gave up two players that weren't really helping the team for someone who's got size and strengthens their post game. I thought Mo Williams would be the second hand man to LeBron, but in the play offs he didn't show up scoring wise, which means they might have to bring in another player who can score. I think what the Cavs really need to work on is bench scoring. Overall a good trade by the Cavs, but they need to make a few more moves if they want to win it all next year.

Bingo. If I were a Cavs fan, I'd actually be disappointed that we didn't get Bosh or Chandler. Had they got either of those 2, they'd be MUCH better off. This reeks of desperation on the Cavs part, trying to get a big name in there and win a championship before LeBron threatens to skip town. I'm pretty sure that everybody knows that if Cleveland doesn't win it next season, LeBron's probably gonna be out of there. This is basically a last chance for the Cavs because Shaq's contract expires after next season and Lord knows he's on the last leg of his career, and we all know the situation for LeBron.

So yeah, if I were a Cavs fan, I'd be hoping that Danny Ferry isn't done making deals yet, because they still aren't better than the Magic, a full-strength Celtics team, and DEFINITELY not the Lakers with what they have right now.

Bill Simmons makes a good point

Cleveland's trade for Shaq was like someone buying homeowner's insurance 4 weeks after losing everything in a house robbery.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Bingo. If I were a Cavs fan, I'd actually be disappointed that we didn't get Bosh or Chandler. Had they got either of those 2, they'd be MUCH better off. This reeks of desperation on the Cavs part, trying to get a big name in there and win a championship before LeBron threatens to skip town. I'm pretty sure that everybody knows that if Cleveland doesn't win it next season, LeBron's probably gonna be out of there. This is basically a last chance for the Cavs because Shaq's contract expires after next season and Lord knows he's on the last leg of his career, and we all know the situation for LeBron.

So yeah, if I were a Cavs fan, I'd be hoping that Danny Ferry isn't done making deals yet, because they still aren't better than the Magic, a full-strength Celtics team, and DEFINITELY not the Lakers with what they have right now.

Bosh wasn't available. They swapped Big Ben & Sasha for Shaq. No desperation in that move. Shaq's 20 million come off the books at the end of next season. Just in time for the 2010 FA frenzy. The Cavs will have the most cap space in the NBA. Great move Danny Ferry!!!

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Here's the image on the Cavs site right now.

fsdaffdsdf.png

Now, obviously it's a photoshop job.

But I think it's funny how less than a couple hours ago he had the #32 on his Cavs jersey.

They must've realized that maybe they were making it look like they were kicking Joe Smith outta town already. :P

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Eh. I'm just sayin, if the only people that are saying this was a great move are the ones sipping on that wine with gold, it wasn't that great, because there are a whole lot of people going "Meh." at this deal. Decent, but not great.

K, more NBA news:

The Warriors/Hawks trade is final since Mike Woodson finally used his brain.

The Warriors also aren't done yet, if rumors are correct...apparently the Suns are about to blow their team up because there's a hot rumor that Golden State's going to send Biedrins, their #7 pick, and some other stuff whether it be player to be named later or cash to make sure the money is right for Amare. Yahoo sports is reporting this as almost done.

There's now a rumor that the Magic will send Lee, Alston, and Battie to the Nets for Carter.

Apparently they're in serious talks.

Just heard it on 'All Bets Are Off with Bruce Drennan'.

Supposedly the Nets are looking at trading Carter to the Magic.

So, umm, that leaves them with nothing but young guys then? I'd like to see them with one veteran on the team to lead them by the time they move to Brooklyn. However if they draft Flynn tonight I'll be in heaven, cause he'll still be on my favorite team heading into the NBA.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

There's now a rumor that the Magic will send Lee, Alston, and Battie to the Nets for Carter.

I guess that's the Magic saying "Thanks for the help but we're happy with what we got." to Rafer. As an unbiased person, I like this for the Magic because now they have someone other than Dwight that can actually do something near the rim. As a division rival fan...Ugh.

Holy cow, transactions are FLYING in: The Knicks have bought the Lakers first round pick (#29) for $3M.

If today has been any indication, there could be some pretty huge shakeups in store for tomorrow night.

I guess that's the Magic saying "Thanks for the help but we're happy with what we got." to Rafer. As an unbiased person, I like this for the Magic because now they have someone other than Dwight that can actually do something near the rim. As a division rival fan...Ugh.

Holy cow, transactions are FLYING in: The Knicks have bought the Lakers first round pick (#29) for $3M.

If today has been any indication, there could be some pretty huge shakeups in store for tomorrow night.

Fair trade, IMO.

Courtney Lee has a lot of potential, IMO. Battie and Alston are getting old though, Alton could still start but he'll add good depth to Harris, at PG.

Devin Harris and Courtney Lee (if he does get good), plus the draft tonight, they could have some legit talent.

I think the Nets may be a legit up and coming team here real soon. If this deal goes down.

An up and coming team with MONEY. They are also going to have a huge amount of cash for the 2010 offseason.

Uhh Ohhh.

Jay-Z, LeBron. Might just happen. haha.

Charlie Villanueva on his Twitter page is saying.

"well, twitterland like I said there will be more trades to come, very interesting, Shaq to Cleveland, nice, all Cleveland need is a PF now"

Looks like Charlie wants to come play in Cleveland.

http://twitter.com/CV31

Bosh wasn't available. They swapped Big Ben & Sasha for Shaq. No desperation in that move. Shaq's 20 million come off the books at the end of next season. Just in time for the 2010 FA frenzy. The Cavs will have the most cap space in the NBA. Great move Danny Ferry!!!

But is it a good idea to put all of your team's eggs in the 2010 basket....which EVERYONE is trying to make cap space for? Especially when you already have one free agent that you absolutely must lock up. If you have Chandler, all you have to worry about is LeBron....which is a damn sight easier than worrying about LeBron and trying to lure one of a very select group of FAs that everyone else also wants. Additionally, when Chandler's contract is up in 2011...you can easily resign him because everyone blew their cash in 2010. This helps you build a dynasty, not a one year wonder...which is also attractive to He Who You Want To Stay In Town Forever.

And all of this ignores that Chandler is a better, more versatile player than Shaq at this point in time.

Again...it's not dumb that they traded Wallace and Sascha...it's dumb that they traded them for Shaq when they could have had Tyson Chandler.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived