Dollar Rede$ign

Throwback

I like the idea but i still think US currency needs pictures of presidents on the front.

A given I guess, but what about either other notable Americans on the reverse (ie Tom Edison, Neil Armstrong, Dr. King etc) or instead of that other US landmarks, such as the Gateway Arch or Mt. Rushmore?

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know why the Dollar has been used as the benchmark for the rest of the world's currencies? First and foremost, the US economy is the largest and most diverse. But what's more, the Dollar itself was reliable. It had the same design, color, and feel year after year; decade after decade. When the Bureau does introduce the new design, it should be a gradual change from the current one. And that will mean retaining Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, et al.

And whose bright idea is it to replace the Dollar bill with a coin? What we need to do is to stop minting those damned nuisances.

Interesting you mentioned coins.

I've long thought it'd be a good idea to ax the penny out of circulation. It may just be due to me having been sent all over the globe in support of various anti-terrorism missions and what-not, but most AAFES exchanges overseas don't even stock pennies. They'll round up or down depending on what the change amount is (that is, if they don't give you them daggone cardboard coins back--and those of you who've been over know exactly what I'm talking about...).

That's just me, though.

And yeah...I ain't really feeling the idea of a $1 coin, either.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm in favor of selling advertisement space on our currency, if the price is right. It would be a great way to generate revenue instead of raising taxes. But I don't know how many companies could afford the type of $ that such a presence would be worth. Maybe split it up so you could pay $X million/billion to have ads on, for example, 10% of all $20 bills printed.

You could still have your monuments, presidents, etc..., but have a space for a logo too.

I've long thought it'd be a good idea to ax the penny out of circulation. It may just be due to me having been sent all over the globe in support of various anti-terrorism missions and what-not, but most AAFES exchanges overseas don't even stock pennies. They'll round up or down depending on what the change amount is (that is, if they don't give you them daggone cardboard coins back--and those of you who've been over know exactly what I'm talking about...).

That's just me, though.

Haha, that's funny about the AAFES cardboard 'coins' because the Exchange over here where I'm at only uses them. Whenever I pay in cash (Which isn't often) I just give them back because it's kind of a pain to deal with.

I'm in favor of selling advertisement space on our currency, if the price is right. It would be a great way to generate revenue instead of raising taxes. But I don't know how many companies could afford the type of $ that such a presence would be worth. Maybe split it up so you could pay $X million/billion to have ads on, for example, 10% of all $20 bills printed.

You could still have your monuments, presidents, etc..., but have a space for a logo too.

haulin_big.jpg

nav-logo.png

haulin_big.jpg

Well played with the Idiocracy reference. You win 3 interwebz.

VmWIn6B.png

You guys are crazy. The dollar coin is a great way to go.

Printing bills takes a lot of paper, and when you're constantly printing off dollar bills, which are used far more frequently than fives, tens, twenties, etc, meaning they wear out a lot faster (some of the bills I've gotten back when shopping in the states should have been removed from circulation years ago). If the average bill lasts, say two years, and the average coin lasts, say 6, then it's considerably more cost-effective to make the coins.

However, most Americans fear change, as witnessed by the past failures of the dollar coin and the steadfast, irrational refusal to adopt the metric system. No matter how logical something is, if it means that Americans have to change or leave their comfort zone, it ain't going to happen.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The past failures of the dollar coin are a product of the dual existence of coins and bills, Lee. Take the bills away and leave only the coins, and we'd accept them soon enough.

Personally I'm in favor of a complete redesign, provided they reinstate printing of the $500 and $1,000 bills, respectively. The idea behind their discontinuation (that it would put a crimp in organized crime's money laundering efforts) has proven ridiculously flawed, and inflation over the past four decades has made the printing of such bills much more practical.

nav-logo.png

The past failures of the dollar coin are a product of the dual existence of coins and bills, Lee. Take the bills away and leave only the coins, and we'd accept them soon enough.

I know, Mac. Canada discontinued the bills and brought in the loonie, and after about a week of bitching, it was accepted and a hit. I mean, really, pop already costs over a buck in vending machines anyway, so just suck it up and make the switch.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I wouldn't mind replacing the people on coins who already are on the dollar. Also, I'd like to see maybe some natural wonders on the back of the dollars, like the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore (although I guess that's not that natural). As someone who's seen the White House, Lincoln Memorial, etc., they aren't that special. They're nice, but when someone from another country sees a dollar, I want them to think, "America looks like a beautiful country", not "They have a lot of marble there".

I wouldn't mind replacing the people on coins who already are on the dollar. Also, I'd like to see maybe some natural wonders on the back of the dollars, like the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore (although I guess that's not that natural). As someone who's seen the White House, Lincoln Memorial, etc., they aren't that special. They're nice, but when someone from another country sees a dollar, I want them to think, "America looks like a beautiful country", not "They have a lot of marble there".

You may have your wish with the Natural Wonders, however, you may be disappointed as the US Mint is soon rolling out a new Quarters campaign featuring such parks.

That's just me, though.

Haha, that's funny about the AAFES cardboard 'coins' because the Exchange over here where I'm at only uses them. Whenever I pay in cash (Which isn't often) I just give them back because it's kind of a pain to deal with.

Naw, cat--lemme tell you what you do with those.

True story...my last time over there, back in '04, the PX stayed giving out those cardboard coins as change. So what did I do? Saved up all of them, bummed coins off people who ain't want them and was just throwing them away (AAFES ain't no fools--they knew what they was doing when they instituted the cardboard coinage), found more in other places--all told, I ended up with almost $98 exactly in cardboard. What I did was I separated them (.05, .10, .25--you know the deal), rubber-banded them up...and took myself right back to the PX. Bought like $80-something worth of stuff. I put it all on the counter, the cashier told me my total...I reached in my lil' bookbag I had with me, pulled about 12 or 13 rubber-banded stacks of coins, and put them jokers right there on the counter in front of the cashier. You can imagine her reaction at seeing all these cardboard coins in front of her.

Now by this point everyone in line behind me is cracking up laughing at me; meanwhile, this po' lil cashier is frozen in bewilderment at what to do with all these cardboard coins I just presented as payment. I'm standing there telling her, "this is currency--it say right there on the bottom edge of the coin", as I'm pointing it out to her, "that these can be used at any AAFES facility". So what she do? She calls the manager...and I tell the manager the exact same thing I just told her cashier: "this is currency--it says right there on the bottom edge of the coin", as I'm pointing this out to the manager now, "that these can be used at any AAFES facility". I further advanced my point by reminding them that "you give us these things as change--which means that we can exchange them as payment for goods in the POST...EXCHANGE".

Now by this point just about everyone in the PX done got a free comedy show. Well...they had no choice but to take my $80-something in rubber-banded cardboard coins. So they did, the cashier printed my receipt, handed it to me, said "have a nice day, sir", as is customary for them...and I walked up out of there with my $80-something in goods purchased from the post exchange.

Needless to say...that was the last time anyone in that PX gave me any kind of cardboard change for the rest of the time I was there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

However, most Americans fear change, as witnessed by the past failures of the dollar coin and the steadfast, irrational refusal to adopt the metric system. No matter how logical something is, if it means that Americans have to change or leave their comfort zone, it ain't going to happen.

F U - the rest of the world should change to be more like america, the best country in the world.

Seriously though, you're absolutely correct. Many Americans (just read any of Tnaks posts for example) feel that any (even small) amount of change from the status quo compromises their very existence. It's just bringing us one step closer to being taken over.

For the record, I'd vote to adopt the metric system and dollar coins in a heartbeat. In this age where we really are in a global economy, there's no excuse not to go with the "world standard" measuring system. It's also stupid not to use the Celsius system. Let's see... 32 = freezing, or 0 = freezing. Which one makes more sense?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

who cares about redesigning cash?

we are heading to a cashless society more and more every day.

it has been at least 2 years since I have had an actual dollar bill in my wallet. if i can't use my debit card, i will write a check. if i can't write a check, they will not get my business.

Buc, that is the greatest story I ever heard! it's exactly 3:10 AM in Iraq right now, and I already wanna go around and start collecting 'coins' from the Marines!

You really should. I mean...you'd think they learned their lesson already from, well, me having did what I did. ^_^

it has been at least 2 years since I have had an actual dollar bill in my wallet. if i can't use my debit card, i will write a check. if i can't write a check, they will not get my business.

Don't commit any crimes. The FBI and Secret Service will find you.

Oh--and count me in the "Metric Convert" camp. I'm well used to it.

Who accepts checks anymore? I'd rather have cash on hand. As for redesigning currency, the visually disabled/impaired and counterfeiters are enough reason to make a design change.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Redesign the money, and bring in the dollar coin.

And go metric. We have to learn it as well as our system in school anyway, so why not make it easier and make it the only system we need to learn? And what American doesn't like something being easier?

oBIgzrL.png

F U - the rest of the world should change to be more like america, the best country in the world.

Seriously though, you're absolutely correct. Many Americans (just read any of Tnaks posts for example) feel that any (even small) amount of change from the status quo compromises their very existence. It's just bringing us one step closer to being taken over.

For the record, I'd vote to adopt the metric system and dollar coins in a heartbeat. In this age where we really are in a global economy, there's no excuse not to go with the "world standard" measuring system. It's also stupid not to use the Celsius system. Let's see... 32 = freezing, or 0 = freezing. Which one makes more sense?

Abolish the penny, I'm for, and I'm okay with dollar coins being made, but coins are much more of a PITA to deal with than bills in my opinion. I'd much rather have $1 bills than $1 coins if I had to choose. But, I guess I might get used to it. The Metric system makes a lot more sense but I think it would have to be slowly phased in. And yeah, 0 = freezing makes sense too, but Fahrenheit is much more precise and there is also the perceived 0-100 scale in which 99% of all days are within 0-100 degrees Fahrenheit (and pretty well-scattered, too), whereas Celsius hardly ever reaches more than 40, I'm guessing, and frequently goes below 0. I'm in favor of keeping the Fahrenheit system.

Archived