Nebraska to Wear Throwbacks

Shoolaces

The half jerseys supposedly allowed greater freedom of movement for the wearer. They were very popular among SEC player in the 1970s.

Hey, Gothamite... you listening to this? In the 80's, it was half jerseys for "freedom of movement", and today its "no sleeves to give less to hold on to".

How about the truth... its fashion and personal style! The belly jerseys did nothing for the players, and now, until it goes out of fashion, we're stuck with this no sleeves look.

Actual effect on how the players perform for either? Next to zero.

The half jerseys supposedly allowed greater freedom of movement for the wearer. They were very popular among SEC player in the 1970s.

Hey, Gothamite... you listening to this? In the 80's, it was half jerseys for "freedom of movement", and today its "no sleeves to give less to hold on to".

How about the truth... its fashion and personal style! The belly jerseys did nothing for the players, and now, until it goes out of fashion, we're stuck with this no sleeves look.

I have to disagree with this. I've worn both jerseys with long sleeves and jerseys with sleeves cuffed so they end right after the shoulder pad, and the smaller jersey does make a difference. If the jersey has long sleeves, it gets in the way and everyone ended up rolling them up under the shoulder pad anyways. Having the stripe go all around the sleeve certainly looks better, but the smaller sleeves are much better to play in.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I have to disagree with this. I've worn both jerseys with long sleeves and jerseys with sleeves cuffed so they end right after the shoulder pad, and the smaller jersey does make a difference. If the jersey has long sleeves, it gets in the way and everyone ended up rolling them up under the shoulder pad anyways. Having the stripe go all around the sleeve certainly looks better, but the smaller sleeves are much better to play in.

Yeah, we've heard all this in other threads. I'm just saying, I'll bet all those 80's guys would have some explanation as to why their half jerseys work for them.. you know, cooler, less pull at the waist, stuff like that. But today? No one would be caught dead in one... out of fashion.

• 1 month later...
That post above brings up a good question. Why were stomach length jerseys so common in college football in the mid-90s?

Those pictures are from the 80s, not the 90s.

I always guessed that it was for "ventilation," less to grab onto, and the "style" of the times. BTW, I hated that look, but I never played football beyond middle school.

That's exactly why. Under Armour and those type undershirts weren't out yet. In 1997, the NCAA said that all shirts have to be tucked in so they went away.

• 1 month later...
I don't know how different these will look than our regular set.

Are you starting at linebacker? <_<

"We" is acceptable for students and Alumni, IMO...

Awesome number font BTW.

Agreed.

On topic, the throwbacks aren't bad. Not bad at all. You'll never go wrong with a clean and simple look.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived