NBA Logo/Uniform Changes for 2009-10...

DustDevil61

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if the "College Look" is what the NBA is trying to go for with some of these newer jerseys as someone mentioned...but I do understand the reasons why some might state that.

If that was indeed the case it would bug the hell out of me to hear that a major professional sports league would have their designs inspired by college athletics. Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here...but in what other pro league do you see jersey designs inspired by college athletics???? MLB???? NFL???? NHL????? None to my knowledge. You don't hear the NY Giants going: "Well, our new retro look was based loosely on the college look. We were going for a Michigan or Notre Dame look"

I wish the NBA would borrow from themselves and bring back some of the "classic" looks from the 60's and 70's as opposed to the college looks of today.

Yes to NFL and NHL, to my knowledge. I first saw "piping" in use on football uniforms in college, now look at the Jaguars. I also feel that Dallas and Atlanta's jerseys were based on some hockey uniform designs used in college, primarily the wordmark across the chest and number underneath.

For the record, beside the fact that they are white, with blue and have pin stripes, they are not super similar. Different collars, different word mark, Bobcats have that funny piping on the sides, even the pinstripes are different (Magics stripes do that weird curve at the top).

Ripped off, no. Inspired? Possibly?

I do agree with you, hopefully the road will have more orange.

Are both wordmarks and numbers blue and of similar fonts? Yes. Will both road jerseys be blue? Yes they will. Do they both have V neck collars? Yes they do. Do both have pinstripes, a feature that is fairly unique among NBA teams? Yes, yes they do.\

The fact is that they DO look pretty similar.

Looks like they just ripped off the Magic jerseys. Hopefully there is more orange.

nba_g_dhoward_200.jpg

For the record, beside the fact that they are white, with blue and have pin stripes, they are not super similar. Different collars, different word mark, Bobcats have that funny piping on the sides, even the pinstripes are different (Magics stripes do that weird curve at the top).

I think the Bobcats jerseys could potentially be much sharper looking.

I'm still not sold on the Magic's black side panels, and that weird collar.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Are both wordmarks and numbers blue and of similar fonts? Yes. Will both road jerseys be blue? Yes they will. Do they both have V neck collars? Yes they do. Do both have pinstripes, a feature that is fairly unique among NBA teams? Yes, yes they do.\

The fact is that they DO look pretty similar.

Similar, yes, I dont argue that. Not identical, not ripped off, thats all Im trying to say.

I'm not sure if the "College Look" is what the NBA is trying to go for with some of these newer jerseys as someone mentioned...but I do understand the reasons why some might state that.

If that was indeed the case it would bug the hell out of me to hear that a major professional sports league would have their designs inspired by college athletics. Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here...but in what other pro league do you see jersey designs inspired by college athletics???? MLB???? NFL???? NHL????? None to my knowledge. You don't hear the NY Giants going: "Well, our new retro look was based loosely on the college look. We were going for a Michigan or Notre Dame look"

I wish the NBA would borrow from themselves and bring back some of the "classic" looks from the 60's and 70's as opposed to the college looks of today.

Yes to NFL and NHL, to my knowledge. I first saw "piping" in use on football uniforms in college, now look at the Jaguars. I also feel that Dallas and Atlanta's jerseys were based on some hockey uniform designs used in college, primarily the wordmark across the chest and number underneath.

Sure some design elements are commonly used in both college and pro sports to some degree, but I would argue that the Jaguars still have professional looking jerseys despite the borrowing of a modern design element from some college teams. But to actually take a professional jersey and have the intent to look like a college uniform is something quite different in my opinion. But I do see your point with the NHL jerseys you mentioned. I definitely think the Dallas jersey had the intent on looking like a classic college jersey. Not sure if I like that, but I never got a call from them to consult me on the design :)

Sure some design elements are commonly used in both college and pro sports to some degree, but I would argue that the Jaguars still have professional looking jerseys despite the borrowing of a modern design element from some college teams. But to actually take a professional jersey and have the intent to look like a college uniform is something quite different in my opinion. But I do see your point with the NHL jerseys you mentioned. I definitely think the Dallas jersey had the intent on looking like a classic college jersey. Not sure if I like that, but I never got a call from them to consult me on the design :)

Unfortunately for Dallas, none of us on here did.

gathering from those pics, previous b-cats stuff, and a lil guessing thrown in, this is my take on what it'll look like in full form:

bcatmaybe.png

seems a lil too plain to me....they should have made the side panels orange or somethin. hopefully they'll change them to add at least orange pinstripes to spice em up a bit.

seems a lil too plain to me....they should have made the side panels orange or somethin. hopefully they'll change them to add at least orange pinstripes to spice em up a bit.

Orange pinstripes? No thank you. I do think they should go with an orange away though, and possibly have used orange lettering and numbers on the homes. These look way too similar to the Magic for me to think they came up with this themselves. MJ probably saw a few games of the finals this year from the clubhouse, pointed his cigar towards the screen and told one his lackeys "Get us those unis next year in our colors".

gathering from those pics, previous b-cats stuff, and a lil guessing thrown in, this is my take on what it'll look like in full form:

bcatmaybe.png

It looks like in the pictures that the orange pipe line cuts off on the shorts and coming down from the top, but the blue pipe is one line, i guess to make more a claw effect who knows.

4kv29i.jpg

The Bobcat jerseys are sick. Those white ones are hands down one of my favourite jerseys in the NBA right now.

Cant wait to see the blue jersey.

Agreed. Here is hoping the bobcats dont mess up the away like the Honets messed up their away (those yellow numbers kill me)

Archived