New Royal Crown Cola packaging?

Coast2CoastAM2006

I drank RC as a kid all the time then went the Pepsi route as -- I'm guessing -- RC became harder to find. I tried the RC premium cola 10 years ago or so and loved it but then it disappeared from the local shelves too. About two months ago, the 7-Eleven down the street started carrying RC 2-liters for 99 cents -- the price is part of the label in a big yellow bar across the top -- and I'm hooked again, which is bad because I kind of know I should stop drinking soda.

But 99-cent RC 2 liters vs. $1.50 Pepsi 20 oz.? Easy choice. It even tastes a lot more like the premium version than I remembered.

And the new logo looks nice... a lot like the old one. I just hope the rebrand isn't part of an effort to get back in the game against Coke and Pepsi. As I found out with cheap area beer Old Style, a price hike often comes with that redesign/reformulation.

(And isn't RC the cola component of the 7up-Dr. Pepper-Sunkist family? So I could see them wanting to make that upgrade push.)

I drank RC as a kid all the time then went the Pepsi route as -- I'm guessing -- RC became harder to find. I tried the RC premium cola 10 years ago or so and loved it but then it disappeared from the local shelves too. About two months ago, the 7-Eleven down the street started carrying RC 2-liters for 99 cents -- the price is part of the label in a big yellow bar across the top -- and I'm hooked again, which is bad because I kind of know I should stop drinking soda.

But 99-cent RC 2 liters vs. $1.50 Pepsi 20 oz.? Easy choice. It even tastes a lot more like the premium version than I remembered.

And the new logo looks nice... a lot like the old one. I just hope the rebrand isn't part of an effort to get back in the game against Coke and Pepsi. As I found out with cheap area beer Old Style, a price hike often comes with that redesign/reformulation.

(And isn't RC the cola component of the 7up-Dr. Pepper-Sunkist family? So I could see them wanting to make that upgrade push.)

yeah, RC is a Dr. Pepper product.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Been drinking RC forever...and like the new logo. Hearkens back to the old without screaming "look, it's 1974 again!"

However, my 12-0z cans from Shoppers Food Whorehouse still have the old packaging (and the price of a 12-pack has definitely been creeping up over the last year or so...gotta buy in bulk when it's on sale.)

The ad at the top of the page when I clicked on this topic again was http://www.dietsodafinder.com/, a website for "hard to find" sodas that this guy stocks and charges you out the ass for. It was funny, looking through some of the different kinds that he has, and thinking "I can get about 12 12-packs for the price you're charging". I guess it all depends on what area of the country you're in. Faygo and Fanta are readily available here, in all the flavours he has, and more!

The ad at the top of the page when I clicked on this topic again was http://www.dietsodafinder.com/, a website for "hard to find" sodas that this guy stocks and charges you out the ass for. It was funny, looking through some of the different kinds that he has, and thinking "I can get about 12 12-packs for the price you're charging". I guess it all depends on what area of the country you're in. Faygo and Fanta are readily available here, in all the flavours he has, and more!

alot of them are hard to find dr. pepper products that are readily available down south but impossible up north unless its a special or something.

for example in texas Big Peach, Big Red Vanilla Float, crush [grape, orange, strawberry], Dr. Pepper Cherry, Lipton Brisk Raspberr, Manzata Sol are all readily available down south in just about any grocery store. Where as up here they are extremely hard to find sodas.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

At one time RC actually competed with Coke and Pepsi, they even had big celebrity endorsers and was the official softdrink at Shea Stadium during the 1986 Season, complete with Ron Darling doing a commercial at the time

I think I remember that commercial... couldn't find it on youtube tho. Lambeau Field also had RC products in the late 90s and early 00s. At the time it was the only major league venue that didn't serve Coke or Pepsi... but now I think they only have Coke products.

What I love about RC after visiting the site is the Royal Crown Draft. I love the logo and just the idea of a draft and premium cola.

A couple of RC brands I've never heard of

Kick

I remember Kick being almost as big as Mountain Dew when it first came out around 1995 or so. Then after a couple years you couldn't find it anywhere. I didn't even know they still made it.

alot of them are hard to find dr. pepper products that are readily available down south but impossible up north unless its a special or something.

for example in texas Big Peach, Big Red Vanilla Float, crush [grape, orange, strawberry], Dr. Pepper Cherry, Lipton Brisk Raspberr, Manzata Sol are all readily available down south in just about any grocery store. Where as up here they are extremely hard to find sodas.

Dr. Pepper Cherry, Brisk Raspberry, and Crush (at least Orange and Grape) are all readily available here... and I ain't that far from you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I haven't had an RC in...I don't even know how long, so I honestly don't remember how it tastes. Maybe I'll have to swing by K-Mart on my way home tonight!. My friend in college used to love it, and often mixed it Crown Royal, called it an RCR, Royal Crown Royal.

How about President's Choice and othe "Generi Brands"? Had any? Cos if I'm not mistaken, that's where RC makes their money...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

i'm sure it tasted better when it wasn't made with hfcs

Wanted to double-check first before commenting, and the RC 2-liter I just bought says "sugar and/or high-fructose corn syrup." So perhaps some bottles were "throwback" well before Pepsi. At least I tell myself it's sugar that makes it taste better.

I haven't had an RC in...I don't even know how long, so I honestly don't remember how it tastes. Maybe I'll have to swing by K-Mart on my way home tonight!. My friend in college used to love it, and often mixed it Crown Royal, called it an RCR, Royal Crown Royal.

How about President's Choice and othe "Generi Brands"? Had any? Cos if I'm not mistaken, that's where RC makes their money...

I work in the Canadian Grocery Industry... You are correct sir... After Dave Nicholl, former President of Loblaws (President's Choice is in his handwriting) group took over RC, they seems to explode with all of the "in-house" brands. Where I work (a major Loblaws competitor) I think we have over 40 flavors of soda. all from Cott/RC

Commissioner, V League

http://vleague.vetsson.net

• 3 weeks later...
New labeling?

RCcola.png

Old label for comparison:

royal-crown-cola.jpg

I don't know if its new labeling or some faux-vintage thing going on right now but it did catch my eye when i went to walmart and got a soda. I also noticed they had vintage looking Betty Crocker brownie mix and cracker jacks boxes. so i'm not sure if this a faux-vintage thing or not.

well to answer that, i was at my local grocery store and noticed the 18 packs now have the new packaging. so no its not a vintage faux packaging, its an actual rebrand.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived