ESPN buys rights to show EPL Games

TFoA

This is all a precursor to ESPN Classic becoming ESPN3 or ESPN International, with European soccer as the cornerstone.

One problem with that. ESPN basically has little of the US rights to the Euro league. ESPN lost the US rights to the EPL and Champions league recently. All they have now I believe is just a few games of La Liga. That is not enough to support a new/restructured channel.

I know. This is just one step.

ESPN Classic has sucked for a long time and needs to be either completely revamped or shuttered. I think there's more growth potential by shuttering it, renaming it ESPN3 and building it around European soccer, MLS and maybe even the NHL.

I hate you Flame. I was all excited.

Well :censored:, we still get La Liga, which, IMO, is more exciting than the EPL. They actually have a whopping 6 teams that could possibly win the title instead of 4. :P

Seriously, though, good for ESPN for getting La Liga to the US. It really is an exciting league.

Which 6 are you talking of? Beyond the big 2, Real Madrid and Barcelona, I can't think of any team that could realistically win La Liga. Indeed since 1990, Barca have won 8 titles, Real have won 6, and only Valencia of the others have won multiple titles in that time frame. (Deportiva La Coruna and Atletica Madrid the only other teams to take the title). In a similar time frame, Liverpool, Leeds United, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Blackburn have been champions of England. Given the vast influx of money into Man City this season, you could make a case for at least 5 teams startiong the 09-10 English season with a chance of being champions. (IMO, in order Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal). It has historically been and remains the European league with most title contenders, save possibly Serie A.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Eh, I was talking about Atletico, Sevilla, Bilbao, & Valencia, which would make 6 when added onto the other 2. Of course that's not gonna happen anytime soon, and I was thinking more of Copa del Rey. :P

Archived