oregon unveiling new uniforms tomorrow?

ONUV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like the steel color, too...if it had anything to do with the University of Oregon and/or its identity.

But it doesn't.

Just more of Nike's unilateral wet dreams of color "experimentation". This chrome/silver (I guess "steel" now) stuff Nike keeps pushing up into its teams' uniforms is starting to get about as bad as Jerry Glanville's "blackification" of the uniforms of pretty much every team he's ever head-coached...or been a member of the coaching staff (see Atlanta Falcons, the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, Portland State more recently).

As a base, the uniforms aren't that bad...so long as they're left to either GREEN or YELLOW. Heck--I even like the idea of the wings. Maybe a weelittlebit of silver/chrome and/or black wouldn't hurt all that much...but SATURATING the look with colors that have nothing to do wth the school's identity is something else altogether...and I think that's the source of the ire of many of us.

(Oh--and one more thing: someone grab a uniform set form last year and one from this year and put them on a daggone scale...let's test this whole "25% lighter" claim with concrete tangible evidence, shall we???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I really like the wings.

I hate throwing the school's colors in the trash, however. School colors are important.

This is my thought. I've come to accept that we're getting black uniforms, for better or worse, but silver? (The second helmet, "Carbon" or whatever they're calling it, is basically a steel silver, it's not very dark). Like my dad and I thought, it looks great...for Washington State. Not Oregon.

But. Like I told Gordie, two things: 1. Oregon is never going to be conservative with its uniforms. Ever. We're not Penn State, or USC, or Michigan. We don't have a traditional look, and Nike has spun that to "our tradition is now being un-traditional," which is all well and good so long as they don't look embarrassing.

And 2. these don't look embarrassing, outside of the whole black and silver look deal. The wings, love 'em or hate 'em, at least tie back to the school mascot - the Duck - much better than diamond freaking plating does. Add to that, I think the wing design looks alright - I wish it was yellow on the green, but it's fine.

Let's keep things in perspective here. Oregon is never going to be an arch-conservative football program in regards to uniforms, and they've done some things right - like the helmets and pants. The white uniform is the best jersey we've had since 2005, and the pants are all monochromatic - and, using this new "combat" designated stuff that Nike is doing for the pants, they look MUCH better than other schools' pants we've seen so far.

Also, though it's hard to tell from the images we've seen so far, the colors - specifically the shades of green and yellow - look MUCH better than the older uniforms' "lightning" and "thunder." It's a bit darker and softer and is all the better for it.

I still don't like the disregard for traditional colors, but they've done well with these. Much better than what they replace.

harperdc.gif

Nike should just stop using silver... they obviously have a problem.

So, was this the first indication of Nike's grey fixation, or was there a point in time before that?

I think it goes back to when they introduced "Nike Elite" for men's college basketball, in which any Nike-outfitted team that made a Final Four while wearing Nike automatically started getting silver accents on their uniforms. That started very early in this decade, I believe.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Some people were asking for screen grabs, so here they are (I'm thinking this is okay to do, seeing as they've been released and all)...

Home Primary

Home Alt 1

Home Alt 2

Road Primary

Road Alt

My personal opinion is that the home primary and road primary are pretty nice looking; they're simple, at least. And the black alt is nice for maybe one or two occasions a year. But the yellow-on-black alt is just ugly, and really doesn't work. As far as I can tell, there is no green on it whatsoever! Which brings us to those godawful road alts...What's with all the silver? Silver helmet, silver numbers, silver pants- just looks really, really bad IMO. Totally unnecessary. So, I guess you could say it's an upgrade, but it could've been so much better. As long as they keep the yellow and silver sets in the closet, they're set.

scotland_fifasig.png

I guess the steel set makes them look "Raideresque", but otherwise the Ducks hold onto the title of the clowns of college football. Those wings look feeble. I like wings on helmets. I don't know how those players could keep a straight face with those on. Mark my words, we will not see these on the field after the 2009 season, which I know is hardly going out on a limb when it comes to Oregon Duck football uniforms.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived