Philly Sixers refinement (finished...?)

Conrad.

I'm certainly a fan of the italicized wordmarks and new numbers. Awesome. Now if only the Sixers' weren't so damn cheap and taking the easy way out.

Out of curiosity, the new block wordmarks, are the I's supposed to represent Liberty Hall? That wordmark might just look better with a normal I.....but either way, I think the italicized versions take the cake.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, if not in all caps, "Phila" would need a period.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So you're saying the termination of the 'a' downstroke should be made into a more dot-like shape?

And yes Ian, the block 'I' is somewhat of a hybrid between Independence Hall and One Liberty Place.

Thanks for looking gentleman; any other opinions on the matter out there in cyberland?

So you're saying the termination of the 'a' downstroke should be made into a more dot-like shape?

And yes Ian, the block 'I' is somewhat of a hybrid between Independence Hall and One Liberty Place.

Thanks for looking gentleman; any other opinions on the matter out there in cyberland?

Nah, I probably wouldn't change it, because a dot would just look weird. Just saying that technically it's not correct. It's not one of those things that's so wrong that there's not room for creative license though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This entire series is great. I love the logos you did and all the time you put into jerseys as well. I am so glad the Sixers are finally going back to the colors they shouldve always been. too bad they dont use these...the only thing is those lateste jerseys you posted with horizontal stripes reminds be of the old Baltimore/Washington Bullets jerseys of the 1970's. I still like them though

philhome09-3.png

philaway09-3.png

Everything you've posted would be an upgrade over what they have now, but this is a timeless look that the Sixers should be shooting for IMO.

Very difficult to choose between those two alternates; both are really, really nice. If I had to, I'd say go with the top version with the stripes, it's got a little more going on. But I LOVE the stars circling the numbers on the bottom version. Classy.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I keep looking at both alternate jerseys trying to decide which is better and I feel the top one looks like an international teams jersey cause it somewhat resembles a flag, it's very creative but like I said it looks like a flag of a nation so I choose the bottom jersey.

detsig.png

couple ideas for an alternate jersey:

philserd09-1.png

philserd09-2.png

I wanted to do homage to some retro jerseys for Philly, but I'm not sure which I like better...C&C anybody?

The top version looks more like a one-off than an actual legitimate full-time alt. Plus, it instantly makes me think of the Bullets a little bit.

The bottom one looks like something that could be worn 20 times / season, and sell well. A couple of tweaks I'd at least try...

1. Try changing the colors of the wordmark and numbers (front and back) to red outlined with white. May make the stars stand out more, plus be more of a historical tie-in to their past PHILA jersey attempts.

2. The shorts are missing something... not sure what though. They just seem to be too plain - maybe it's because the waist trim doesn't match the jersey trim? Not sure what to suggest here though.

3. Maybe at least attempt to put the NOB below the number. That would allow you to move up the number and stars, giving them more prominent placement, while allowing enough room for long names. Your font is pretty small as-is, but moving the NOB would alleviate that.

thanks for all the insight guys...some great points made. I see what ur sayin' Vet, so I put a 2nd version of the simple blue alt together, going with a different wordmark/number colors, a different coloring of the waistband, and I added the collar trim pattern to the bottom of the shorts:

philserd09-3.png

thoughts?

I do think the top blue alt I posted before lends itself better to a 'one-off' promotional jersey, so I can call it thus in the final presentation of this concept.

Much better.

I kinda liked the white scripts/numbers/NOB better on the blue alts. But that's just me.

But yeah, as BBTV suggested, if you're going to do the back number inside the circle of stars like that, the NOB should most definitely go below the circle of stars. It can even stay small the way it is.

Did you think of doing the circle of stars on the front, too? I remember when Phoenix first did the oval thing with the front numbers--at the time I thought it was one of the most innovative things I'd seen. And with the arched "Phila" script", it might actually fit in there quite nicely.

One other thing--and this is more a question for the Philly fandom: I understand that the whole "Phila" thing brings strong nostalgic connotations and such, but shouldn't that be something more reserved for an alternate than for a full-time roadie? True, that's what the Sixers had on their roadies back in the day, but this is just a point of curiosity with me, as sometimes I feel that people overdo the whole "Phila" thing. I guess this kinda fits into my little mindset that third/alternate uniform sets should be the ones that are "different"--have that element that fans just pine for--something that really captures attention, but in limited doses. (See Cleveland Cavaliers navy 3rd/alt as exhibit A on how to screw that up, IMO.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One other thing--and this is more a question for the Philly fandom: I understand that the whole "Phila" thing brings strong nostalgic connotations and such, but shouldn't that be something more reserved for an alternate than for a full-time roadie? True, that's what the Sixers had on their roadies back in the day, but this is just a point of curiosity with me, as sometimes I feel that people overdo the whole "Phila" thing. I guess this kinda fits into my little mindset that third/alternate uniform sets should be the ones that are "different"--have that element that fans just pine for--something that really captures attention, but in limited doses. (See Cleveland Cavaliers navy 3rd/alt as exhibit A on how to screw that up, IMO.)

Not speaking for all Sixers fans, just myself, but I don't see a problem with putting PHILA on the regular away jersey. Kind of follows with the "tradition" of team name at home, city name on the road. Philadelphia would look pretty bad on a basketball jersey (and baseball for that matter) so PHILA is an acceptable alternative. I'm not sure that I like it any more than just SIXERS, but don't have a problem with it either. If the alt is going to be throwbackish and say PHILA on it, then I'd agree that the road should simply be a red version of the home, with the same SIXERS script.

id rather see stars around the numbers on the front...your last set's back numbers are way too small IMO

I think that front stars would compete with the wordmark for attention, the wordmark should be the focal point of the jersey. On the back, they really stand out as a design element, since there's really nothing else to compete with (except for the NOB, which ideally wouldn't even need to be there, but I guess has to in this day and age.)

Would it be possible to arch the name around the stars conrad? Might lend itself to be an interesting look.

I'm not conrad, but just as a casual critiquer, I think that would look terrible. I think the stars should be the main design element on the back of the jersey, and everything else (numbers, NOB, etc.) should be as minimal as possible. That's why I encouraged putting the NOB below the stars... just to get it out of the way as much as possible.

Archived