Tavares

Waleslax

Does anyone know what number he's wearing? I want to order a jersey but the dude's worn too many different numbers!!!

In other news, did anyone else notice that the Isles draftees were given the retro/3rd jersey? Is that a sign of things to come? (I'll be praying!!!)

Does anyone know what number he's wearing? I want to order a jersey but the dude's worn too many different numbers!!!

In other news, did anyone else notice that the Isles draftees were given the retro/3rd jersey? Is that a sign of things to come? (I'll be praying!!!)

Did you see the NHL Draft thread?

Relax, it wasn't there when I posted this last night.

I am guessing 91 as well, but wasn't sure.

Did you see the NHL Draft thread?

Relax, it wasn't there when I posted this last night.

I am guessing 91 as well, but wasn't sure.

Actually it was. About an hour before. No big deal though, I was just wondering if you had seen it. 91 is a good guess BTW.

I'd venture to guess that, if you ordered a Tavares jersey from the Isles' shop, they wouldn't crest it or send it out until they knew what number he was wearing. The NFL is pretty good about that with trades/drafted players.

I'm guessing a lot of players are using thier birth year. Crosby #87 was born 8/7/87. Sam Gagner #89 was born in 89. Patrick Kane #88 was born in 88. In the past teams were against young players having "vanity plate" numbers but that has gone by the wayside.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm guessing a lot of players are using thier birth year. Crosby #87 was born 8/7/87. Sam Gagner #89 was born in 89. Patrick Kane #88 was born in 88. In the past teams were against young players having "vanity plate" numbers but that has gone by the wayside.

-Dan

Taveras was born in 1990 so that's out. Although he has also worn 61 and 19, I think the smart money is on 91.

-Dan

Taveras was born in 1990 so that's out. Although he has also worn 61 and 19, I think the smart money is on 91.

He should honor the legendary Alexei Yashin and go with 79...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

What's with the new younger talent taking higher numbers?

I know Stamkos wore 19 until he went to play for Sarnia and it was already taken so he switched to 91 and kept it ever since (except this past IHWC where Savard had 91, Spezza had 19, so he took 17)

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

First off, and it's a worthless comment, but I posted that moments after he was drafted but it didn't show up until hours later. Regardless.

In other news, there was a joke going around Hawks fans that Kane to 88 because:

a) he really, really like snowmen, or

B) he's so small, he took it to look bigger.

As for Yashin and Tavares, each "naturally" wears 19, but neither can when another player on the team had it or it was retired. Yashing actually asked if he could wear 19. Thank goodness they didn't un-retire it for him!

-Dan

I have no issue with the higher numbers, especially if they have significance to a player, such as their year of birth. High numbers are not a new thing; Gretzky, Lindross, Lemieux, Federov, Jagr, etc, all wear/wore high numbers.

Since 19 is retired on the Island, it's a pretty safe bet that Tavares will go back to #91, rather than #61 that he wore in London (because Nazem Kadri already had 91)

Archived