Should the Clippers bring this logo back?

tomás

The Clippers could play in the Honda Center without changing their name from "the Los Angeles Clippers" if they felt so inclined. They've done it before. (This post is the equivalent to the passenger of a car grabbing the steering wheel as the precipice draws ever nearer. Close your eyes.)
I, speaking as one St. Louisan, couldn't care any less for the NBA.

Do you not like the highest level of basketball in the world, or do you just not like basketball? If you don't like basketball, that's cool, but I can't figure out how your location is germane to your interest in the NBA.

Maybe the highest level, but it's definately NOT the best. College basketball is far better. The NBA is a frickin' joke now.

I'd have to agree, honestly. The NBA has little appeal to me, personally, because the Association has become all about stars, and I want to root for teams. That's part of my love for uniforms... the idea that they signify a group, not individuals. I half believe that if they could, the NBA would put LeBron and Kobe in slightly different uniforms than the rest of their teammates... you know, make it clearer who were supposed to be paying attention to... make it easier for the refs to go preferencial. Just an opinion.

My beef with the NBA is that they expect me to pay NBA prices to see a half-assed version of streetball when I can go around the corner and see the real thing for free. The emphasis on stars over teams makes sense in streetball due to the pick-up nature of the games, but teams are expected to have this thing called chemistry... Auerbach's Celtics had it, the Showtime Lakers had it, the bad boy Pistons had it, etc. But nowadays the concept of 5 players acting as a unit is extinct in the NBA.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than making the playoffs three times in Buffalo, a few first round knockouts in LA, then going to the second round in '06, the Clippers really don't have much to bring back. Personally,I would totally blow up everything. The boring Laker-like logo (They can get away with it because Magic Johnson played with that logo in the '80's, not Ken Norman.) and the bland colors (I know some people like it because it's clean, but it's not unique. if you aren't going to make your gameplay worth looking at, at least make the jerseys worth a gander.).

Also, why do we argue over what sports are legit or not? Can't we like them all?

Too bad David Stern stole the title from the Suns, they would've saved the NBA!!!

SO tired of that meme ... If the NBA wanted to throw a series, don't you think they'd throw it to the team that was flashy, scored a lot and had a great TV following, and not to a bread-and-butter, boring, low-scoring team?

The Clips should use this logo and uniform. designed by AAO, from like 2004.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...lipper+concepts

Ah...to be 17 again. Looking back I think the idea was there, but terrible, terrible execution. And the NBA does not need anymore light/navy blue pairings.

yeah I agree, but it's better than what they've got now. It's an actual identity, seperate from the Lakers. I just like that the logo actually includes a clipper ship and that the colors aren't red, white, and blue. (I hate the red, white, and blue colors. Especially now since the Sixers went back to it. There is way too many teams with these colors.) They just need something to make them unique, something the fans would love, and something the players would be proud to wear.

It seems likew Sterling may have to 'pull a Wirtz' for anything to change re: the Clippers. Only difference-the Blackhawks had somewhere to come from.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

1. Keep the name Clippers.

2. Change the colors to green, blue and gold trim

3. Move to Seattle, where the name makes a bit more sense.

As for college v. pro, I've lost any interest since the Bucks turned into the Clippers east. Maybe if the NBA played by traditional basketball rules, got the pro wrestling element out of the game, and quit signing kids who are just out of puberty, I'd pay attention again.

I respect the talent of the stars, but on an entertainment level, college basketball is much more exciting, more varied in style, and gives a better value per dollar.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

One thing I can't argue is that college basketball in Wisconsin gives you a better bang for your buck than, well, the Bucks. The on-court product is crappy because it's college basketball and college basketball is crappy, but at least you're following a winning program in an exciting atmosphere, two things the Bucks can't offer. If you just want to take the family out to a sporting event and don't really care about major league performance vis-a-vis minor league performance, you can't go wrong with the schools in the state.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

*Buc likes this.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How about move the franchise to Seattle, change the name to "Supersonics", change the colors to green and goldenrod, then switch histories with the OKC Thunder. Then we should be levelset, the curse should be transfered over to the OKC franchise where it belongs.

How about move the franchise to Seattle, change the name to "Supersonics", change the colors to green and goldenrod, then switch histories with the OKC Thunder. Then we should be levelset, the curse should be transfered over to the OKC franchise where it belongs.

How about some of us come to grips with the fact that in North American professional sports, franchises move, especially if folks aren't willing to pony up for arena (missed that step in the above master plan BTW). Seattle, or at least its politicians, made a choice. Choices have consequences, and the sooner we realize this, the better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bring back the Rock Island Independents.

. . . but build a publicly funded stadium across the river in Davenport, Iowa and call them the Rock Island Independents of Davenport.

*ducks flying tomatoes*

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The original Clippers colors were some of the more interesting around-- light (powder/Columbia/baby) blue and Orange.

Fonts on the jersey were nice and unique, and has been posted before, the nautical flags on the side were a great touch:

clippers.jpg

The logo, while very basic and somwhat abstract, conveyed the sails, sun and sky aspect of the city and team name rather well-- plus it wasn't present on the uniform, anyway.

That being said, the team name worked much better in San Diego with its natural harbor and maritime history than it does in Los Angeles. If they were to stay in LA, I'd start from scratch a' la the Bullets/Wizards situtation.......

It is what it is.

How about some of us come to grips with the fact that in North American professional sports, franchises move, especially if folks aren't willing to pony up for arena (missed that step in the above master plan BTW). Seattle, or at least its politicians, made a choice. Choices have consequences, and the sooner we realize this, the better.

I have to laugh if you believe what you just wrote. Seattle renovated Key Arena in the 90s. I don't agree with all this holding cities for ransom to get arena built mentality, especially if another deal was already in place. You think Bennett bought the Sonics with the sole intention of keeping the team in Seattle? Whatever you say!

And lest you think I'm a Sonics fan, I'm from San Diego and I actually was a Clippers fan before they left for LA. Don't want 'em back though...

Archived