Should the Clippers bring this logo back?

tomás

Oh I know Bennett bought the team to move it. However, the sale was prompted by Seattle's refusal to pony up the cash for a new arena. Blame the politicians.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I know Bennett bought the team to move it. However, the sale was prompted by Seattle's refusal to pony up the cash for a new arena. Blame the politicians.

Why should the city pony up the cash when they just spent millions upon millions renovating Key Arena? Just bend over and take it from these franchises I suppose.

Why should the city pony up the cash when they just spent millions upon millions renovating Key Arena? Just bend over and take it from these franchises I suppose.

Between the city of Seattle and the SuperSonics themselves, they spent $100 million to renovate, and the end result was a smaller-than-average arena without the amenities that the most of the rest of the NBA had.

That renovation was the kiss of death. They should have built a new arena in the first place instead of trying to limp by.

Missing from the Seattle story is that the city had just bought two new arenas: Safeco and Qwest. Asking for a third -- just ten years after a renovation that was done to keep the Sonics there -- was never going to fly. Plus, Bennett missed the public financing boat. That ship, *ahem*, has sailed.

But you'll have no disagreement from me that KeyArena is a dumb, because it is. It's just too bad, however, because it's located in a great area, inbetween three residential neighborhoods and near tons of bars and restaurants (that aren't doing so hot after the Sonics left).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1. Keep the name Clippers.

2. Change the colors to green, blue and gold trim

3. Move to Seattle, where the name makes a bit more sense.

How about move the franchise to Seattle, change the name to "Supersonics", change the colors to green and goldenrod, then switch histories with the OKC Thunder. Then we should be levelset, the curse should be transfered over to the OKC franchise where it belongs.

How about some of us come to grips with the fact that in North American professional sports, franchises move, especially if folks aren't willing to pony up for arena (missed that step in the above master plan BTW). Seattle, or at least its politicians, made a choice. Choices have consequences, and the sooner we realize this, the better.

I have to laugh if you believe what you just wrote. Seattle renovated Key Arena in the 90s. I don't agree with all this holding cities for ransom to get arena built mentality, especially if another deal was already in place. You think Bennett bought the Sonics with the sole intention of keeping the team in Seattle? Whatever you say!

And lest you think I'm a Sonics fan, I'm from San Diego and I actually was a Clippers fan before they left for LA. Don't want 'em back though...

I'll one up you... I grew up in San Diego a Clipper fan and was crushed when they moved to LA. Then, I move to Seattle, become a Sonics fan, and they move too! Guess I'm bad luck for basketball teams.

Having been to the Key many times, it is an amazing place to watch a basketball game. Quite possibly the best in the NBA for a basic fan that can't afford courtside seats. The talk of it being not NBA quality, to me, is a joke. Maybe not NBA quality for the VIPs, but to 99% of the fans, it's a close, intimate, great place to experience basketball.

1. Keep the name Clippers.

2. Change the colors to green, blue and gold trim

3. Move to Seattle, where the name makes a bit more sense.

How about move the franchise to Seattle, change the name to "Supersonics", change the colors to green and goldenrod, then switch histories with the OKC Thunder. Then we should be levelset, the curse should be transfered over to the OKC franchise where it belongs.

How about some of us come to grips with the fact that in North American professional sports, franchises move, especially if folks aren't willing to pony up for arena (missed that step in the above master plan BTW). Seattle, or at least its politicians, made a choice. Choices have consequences, and the sooner we realize this, the better.

I have to laugh if you believe what you just wrote. Seattle renovated Key Arena in the 90s. I don't agree with all this holding cities for ransom to get arena built mentality, especially if another deal was already in place. You think Bennett bought the Sonics with the sole intention of keeping the team in Seattle? Whatever you say!

And lest you think I'm a Sonics fan, I'm from San Diego and I actually was a Clippers fan before they left for LA. Don't want 'em back though...

I'll one up you... I grew up in San Diego a Clipper fan and was crushed when they moved to LA. Then, I move to Seattle, become a Sonics fan, and they move too! Guess I'm bad luck for basketball teams.

Having been to the Key many times, it is an amazing place to watch a basketball game. Quite possibly the best in the NBA for a basic fan that can't afford courtside seats. The talk of it being not NBA quality, to me, is a joke. Maybe not NBA quality for the VIPs, but to 99% of the fans, it's a close, intimate, great place to experience basketball.

I visited my buddy in Seattle in 96 and went to a playoff game between Seattle and Sacramento at Key Arena. I'm with you, the arena was outstanding from a fan's viewpoint, not a bad seat in the house.

Here's the original San Diego Clippers logo - taken from the Hardwood Classics files, but using the CORRECT colors (HWC had the colors wrong):

SanDiegoClippers_PRM_1979-1.png

Just 'cause.

Here's the original San Diego Clippers logo - taken from the Hardwood Classics files, but using the CORRECT colors (HWC had the colors wrong):

SanDiegoClippers_PRM_1979-1.png

Just 'cause.

Like I said earlier: beautiful, original APPROPRIATE (for San Diego) color scheme.

It is what it is.

Archived