new GPBL logos

JaMike81

...as a former Pittsburgher...I *love* (sarcasm) how the city continues to recycle the same names for their new sports teams.

...I recall always having the same names to vote on in "name the team" contests...Phantoms, Express, Iron Men, Beavers, Sting/Stingers.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I like the Phantoms logo, but I'm not sold on the wordmark.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

And yet another Pittsburgh basketball team that will fold in a few years...

Amen Maz, just like the Piranhas did. IIRC, they were the best team in the CBA, making it to the championship series in their first year (i think they were the Lacrosse Catbirds that relocated to Pittsburgh), but had the worst attendance in the league. Yakima beat us in the finals...and it got a small two-line blurb in the Post-Gazette.

Pittsburgh just isn't a basketball town.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

...as a former Pittsburgher...I *love* (sarcasm) how the city continues to recycle the same names for their new sports teams.

Fitting, seeing as the city just can't seem to bring itself to let go of its past. It's ok to wax nostalgic at times--the city does have a rich sports history--but at some point, the city itself has GOT to move ----> this way (forward) if it ever expects to get into the 20th century.

(BTW...that last line was completely intentional.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Fitting, seeing as the city just can't seem to bring itself to let go of its past. It's ok to wax nostalgic at times--the city does have a rich sports history--but at some point, the city itself has GOT to move ----> this way (forward) if it ever expects to get into the 20th century.

Don't you mean 21st century?

You see, Pittsburgh is a little behind in the times.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Drew's right. The Pirates wear flannel jerseys, the Penguins play on the Ohio River, and the Steelers have won a remarkable six Super Bowls while wearing leather helmets. The Amish look like Best Buy employees compared to many of the citizens of Western Pennsylvania.

(Just kidding, of course. But Pittsburgh does seem to give off a bit of a retro feel.)

I lived in The Pitt for a hot minute...trust me, it's got a ways to go before it even reaches the 20th century, especially if you venture into Larimer or East Liberty.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm glad some of y'all figured out what I was getting at.

(Either that, or you realized that I had a hidden line of text at the bottom of my original post.)

And um, saying Pgh is a little behind the times is like saying Oregon's uniforms are a little bit, uh, "modern". (More so in the western and southern parts, if you ask me. I should know...I lived in the South Hills. Baldwin, to be exact.) At least Eas' Lib's done made a come-up in the past year or two, surprising as that is.

So...how long before we see the next edition of the Pittsburgh Condors??? :D

(Or even the Maulers, for that matter...hammer, fist, and all...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm holding out for the Pittsburgh Pisces . . . Julius Erving, Stockard Channing and all.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 4 weeks later...

If this league itself lasts longer than 2 years, I'll by shocked.

By then the Phantoms will be long gone. However, I can say the Xplosion did far better in Pittsburgh than I thought they would.

Texas.gif

I'm holding out for the Pittsburgh Pisces . . . Julius Erving, Stockard Channing and all.

If they did, I'd be the first to cop a jersey. I've been looking for one ever since I found out that movie existed.

I gotta ask (since it seems to come up every other week)... is Pittsburgh really that bad? Beyond the problems you'll find in any rust belt city, what's so terrible about it?

Archived