Nickelodeon changes their logo

BadSeed84

This is terribly unfortunate. Years and years of brand integrity destroyed in favor of a logo system I suspect won't survive past 2014. Sad.

Years of years of integrity they built with these different splatters? theusa_think.gif

300px-nickelodeon_logo.svg_tf5f.pngnickelodeon-logo.jpgnickelodeon_logo_3035.gifnick-logo.jpg

Yes, actually. I used Nickelodeon as an example of brand integrity during the class I taught on Logo and Identity Design. Regardless of its shape, the orange splat became synonymous with Nickelodeon and kids programming. Even paired with a smaller blue shape, it became recognizable as Nick Jr. Nickelodeon had one of the most flexible brands in existence because of that. They could put their name inside an orange rocket ship, an orange mushroom, a splatter mark, pretty much anything, and it was still recognizable as being Nickelodeon's.

Brand integrity does not always equate to something being identical in image across the board. If you have a recognizable mnemonic device like Nick did (the orange shape/splat), then you've accomplished something that is nearly unheard of in today's world of branding.

Remember, Nickelodeon is owned by Viacom, a company well-known for destroying brand identities. Remember the original MTV and TNN? Didn't think so. :upside:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So I was looking at pics from yestrdays kids choice awards, and I saw this...flip forward to the photo of ryan schckler

http://www.nick.com/shows/kids-choice-awards/pictures/kca-2010-backstage.html

backstage-3.jpg?height=0&width=0&format=

same thing on the 2nd slide here...

http://www.nick.com/kids-choice-awards/

The old logo! So what's the deal? Did they not realized that the old wordmark was on the blimps? Or did they just keep it for history's sake (I doubt that)

I presume they only had one or two of the 'hero' blimps with the new logo on them, so the old one is there as a backup. Maybe they had the old one for the backstage photos but kept the hero blimp(s) for use during the on-stage ceremony so they wouldn't be shorthanded because somebody took it backstage for a photo shoot.

oakqb4.jpg

Archived