MLS Cup 09 Seattle

Krona

Gradients aren't necessarily evil. Actually its pretty big in design right now, subtle gradients though...colors to background(white) or tonal gradients. When it goes from Red to Blue...then its dated and a problem.

Also, as was said you see gradients on digital and some print applications because anymore, logos are being seen primarily in the digital realm. Sports logos are a different animal however because you will be screen printing/embroidering the logos so its important that if gradients are going to be used, you have a solution for their use in multiple applications.

This logo clearly works with or without the gradient. (that may raise the question, why use it anyway...I can't answer that...the subtle gradient most likely looks a bit better and sleek than a flat grey)

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for bringing it up again.

I'm kinda torn, some of the city specific logos were really nice, however it becomes unoriginal with time (and multiple MLS Cups held in the same location) in LA's example: palms, film, stars and lights

there are some things I don't like in the new one tough, especially the MLS (followed by the MLS Logo with MLS text) and the CUP text just looks wrong.

Here is something more along my taste. (you could even insert/integrate the cup text in the MLS logo)

Excuse the stoneage way of doing things and obvious copy/paste flaws

mlscup09paint.th.jpg

Archived