Buffalo Bills *Final Update*

rentz

I love this rebrand, it looks fantastic!

My only critique would be that the bison needs to have a beard. Seems like every bison I have ever seen has a beard, incorporate that and I think it's real solid.

So I lied, one more critique, I really like the ribbon on the bison logo and think it should be added back in, it's just so unique and would really tie in the striping on the uni's.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I'll second what The Impaler said, I think it needs a beard and I would like to see how the ribbon could be kept around if possible, I have mixed feelings though as I also like the direction you've taken away from the (successful yet woeful) history of the Bills.

Here's an updated version... in accordance with updating the identity, the same idea of the ribbon is kept, but it's a bit different...

lbb.png

The lightning bolt was inspired by the flag of Buffalo, New York:

800px-Flag_of_Buffalo_New_Yorksv-1.png

Also, I'm sorry for the continued lack of a beard... I'm having a difficult time rendering it, and the fact that the front leg is directly touching the chin in the image is making it difficult. I'll keep trying, but I'm not having much success.

Red is my favorite color but I really appreciate the uniforms without. As the previous post states red could be added in to help out the ribbon. I am torn on this as I like it the way it is (without the red); however, if red could be used in a very limited way like Seattle's lime green I think it could be really effective and really pop on the uniforms.

One other thought on the ribbon, if you leave it as is maybe just add a dark blue piping on the inside to finish it off. I guess one other thought would be to make it powder blue, but I am not sure how introducing a third blue would fit in the uniforms.

Good work btw. I really appreciate concepts that are full blown concepts and not just tweaks, I can't wait to see what you do with the Broncos, hopefully going back to orange as primary!!

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Haha, good point about the Thunder... I suppose it very well could be.

Anyway, here's an update to the bolt, now in technicolor... and because you guys wanted red, it's included as an option.

billbolt-2.png

The one with the Red is the best IMO. I love the idea of the lightning bolt from flag of Buffalo. Great job, and keep it up.

detsig.png

Interestingly enough, I was watching television when I saw an advertisement for Penn and Teller's Bull:censored:! show. In the ad there was an image of a bull, and being the sports logo nerd I am, I immediately thought that it would make a great sports logo. :P

Because I was making a Buffalo concept at the time and was having a hard time trying to figure out how to represent a buffalo in a new logo, I figured I would borrow the pose.

While it was inspired by the bull in the commercial, the logo was done entirely by me... honestly I had intended to, when I first posted the silhouette buffalo since that is most similar, state that it was inspired but I forgot. Afterward, as the logo became progressively shaded/etc, I figured that I had done enough to it to differentiate it from it and it was more or less entirely mine.

I'm sorry if that sort of thing is frowned upon around here, but I figured it wasn't a big deal, considering the lengths I went to to make the logo my own.

I don't know about the Penn & Teller thing. I asked because when I saw the logo, two things came to mind. First, the head reminded me of the yak from Ren and Stimpy. Second, the pose looks like a bull humping, except the cow is missing. It's not a slam on your artwork, it's just a weird pose for a pro logo. I don't see this as an improvement over what the Bills have.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Erm. Yeah, now that is the only thing I am able to see while looking at the logo :P

I obviously wasn't trying to go for that image, though I see where you're coming from... I was trying to get it just to look like a fierce buffalo standing on its hind legs.

So, I attempted to amend it by ungrounding it, making it jumping like the current logo.

buffff.png

As for the Yak from Ren & Stimpy... perhaps I was influenced subliminally as I have seen the show, but I cannot say that was an inspiration for the design haha.

Haha, good point about the Thunder... I suppose it very well could be.

Anyway, here's an update to the bolt, now in technicolor... and because you guys wanted red, it's included as an option.

billbolt-2.png

1,3, and 4 are the best imo. Just depends if you want to incorporate red or not. Also, I still think the beard needs to be added in and am curious to see how you creatively do that.

Great work IMO

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Here's what will probably become the last update.

Here's a logo sheet, featuring the buffalo on several colors, along with an updated wordmark, a new alternate, and the old logo in new colors for kicks.

bbls.png

Here's the uniforms-- slight updates to the normal set, however the bigger inclusion is the second alternate... I like to think of it as a bridge between eras, as it has the older colors on the new jersey template. I'm calling these "Bills Commemorative Uniforms", as they are not throwbacks. I would imagine these would be worn on occasions where they retire a player's number, for example, or celebrate a part of the Bills' history that occured before the color change. I also included it because you guys seemed to love the red, so I wanted to implement it into the scheme somehow, even if it isn't an "official" color.

billsuniforms2e.png

Well, there you have it... this turned out to be a lengthier project than anticipated. And to think I thought the set in the first post could be the final set :P

All C+C appreciated. Also, if you have any team suggestions for Part III, leave them here. I know someone wanted to see the Broncos, so I'm thinking of moving in that direction...

Excellent job creating a new identity and simplifying a (currently terrible) NFL set. I like the inclusion of the beard and the choice to keep red out accept for the alternate.

My suggestion for next up would be the Broncos or the Seahawks, 2 teams that "modernized" last decade but appear to need some more tweaking. Just my 2 cents

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Here's what will probably become the last update.

Here's a logo sheet, featuring the buffalo on several colors, along with an updated wordmark, a new alternate, and the old logo in new colors for kicks.

bbls.png

Here's the uniforms-- slight updates to the normal set, however the bigger inclusion is the second alternate... I like to think of it as a bridge between eras, as it has the older colors on the new jersey template. I'm calling these "Bills Commemorative Uniforms", as they are not throwbacks. I would imagine these would be worn on occasions where they retire a player's number, for example, or celebrate a part of the Bills' history that occured before the color change. I also included it because you guys seemed to love the red, so I wanted to implement it into the scheme somehow, even if it isn't an "official" color.

billsuniforms2e.png

Well, there you have it... this turned out to be a lengthier project than anticipated. And to think I thought the set in the first post could be the final set :P

All C+C appreciated. Also, if you have any team suggestions for Part III, leave them here. I know someone wanted to see the Broncos, so I'm thinking of moving in that direction...

First off I have to say if ever there was an NFL team that could do with a revamp it's Buffalo, and secondly I have to applaud you on removing the multitude of pinstripes and helmet stripes and other stripes that have slowly over time cluttered and confused what was a pretty classic piece of sports design.

I'll be honest I didn't think I was going to like the all blue uni when you first mentioned it but I have to say I think it works really well. Now I'm not a Bills fan so the loss of a primary colour doesn't upset me as much as it might a real fan but from a purely design stand point I really like it. Well done.

Things I'm not too keen on... the logo. I love the addition of the shading and if refined slightly I could get used to and even like the new lightening bolt "Ribbon of Power" but the Buffalo it's self is a downgrade in my opinion. The head is too small and too low the shoulders and hump back far to exaggerated and the pose contorted. While the old one seemed to be leaping or charging this new one sadly looks like it's having a convulsion after being struck by the lightning bolt.

I like the wordmark a lot, clear use of ligature between descender and ascender, very clever and it actually creates a hidden BB within the mark itself so I love that but you need to fix the outer path. The mitre at the end of the outer one just squares off and looks really bad. To prevent that happening draw the outer one then run the offset path to a negative amount so it sits inside the first one, that way any points should remain sharp.

Like I say loved the all blue logo idea, loved the shading too but would prefer to see it on a Buffalo more reminiscent of the old one as I felt it was a more recognisable and dynamic shape. But great work and good to see how far it evolved from the first version you posted.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived