Uniforms that need to make a comeback

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys can all go drive your '72 Oldsmobiles, while wearing your leisure suits, on your way to type out your posts on your Packard Bell's.

I can't believe there is so much "things were perfect back in my day..." happening on this board.

You are surprised that people are nostalgic about the jerseys they saw their favorite teams wear when they were growing up?

Of course there's a bit of nostalgia involved when thinking about the uniforms we watched as kids, but for everyone to suggest that the current teams adopt these old and dated styles is absurd. Too many on this board hate change, automatically think that everything new and different is bad, and seem to long for the days when games had to end at 6:00 PM because lights hadn't been invented yet. It's one thing to "appreciate" an old uniform. It's another to want teams to revert to old, tired looks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You guys can all go drive your '72 Oldsmobiles, while wearing your leisure suits, on your way to type out your posts on your Packard Bell's.

I can't believe there is so much "things were perfect back in my day..." happening on this board.

You are surprised that people are nostalgic about the jerseys they saw their favorite teams wear when they were growing up?

Of course there's a bit of nostalgia involved when thinking about the uniforms we watched as kids, but for everyone to suggest that the current teams adopt these old and dated styles is absurd. Too many on this board hate change, automatically think that everything new and different is bad, and seem to long for the days when games had to end at 6:00 PM because lights hadn't been invented yet. It's one thing to "appreciate" an old uniform. It's another to want teams to revert to old, tired looks.

That's the thing though...its not all about the look itself, but the feelings/emotions/memories that come with it. Its the whole package. I see your point for sure, but I think you arent taking everything into consideration, at least not for what its worth.(Obviously some organizations its worth alot more than others) Just my 2 cents...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I am the first to admit that I am not the uniform junkie like some of the folks on here. I don't catch the subtle nuances of the changes that are made. The one thing though about the older uniforms, especially the 70 and 80s is that they had some personality with the uniform. To me baseball uniforms of today are generally way too bland. The overuse of black and dark blue dulls everything up. I don't follow hockey much but I can't hardly tell who is who on a sportcenter highlight. I do like the general personality with football uniforms. They are not all good but they are a bit different between teams. While Nascar may be sponsors rather than teams it sure is a pretty looking event with all the colors.

Signed, Ametuer uniform critic.

I wish the Wiz would go back to these.

unseldpic.jpg

And the Pens to these. Full-time it, baby. (Sabres too, for that matter.)

crosby.jpg

No homerism because I live in Chicago, where they still have a fairly good grip on tradition and everyone looks pretty good. Except DePaul.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

lee_roy_selmon_3.png

Love the old school Bucs.

Jarome_Iginla.jpg

Yes the flaming nostril horse. Loved that jersey.

yashinalt.jpg

Orange Isles jerseys. Nuff said.

Lemieux.jpg

Give me back the black and gold, not the off gold and black.

I also second the motions on the Bengals and Jets older jerseys and can't believe nobody posted the Liberty Rangers jerseys.

2ly2w09.jpg

You raise a valid philosophical point, and I agree with you about the too-common knee-jerk rejection of change. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about the Yankees uniforms; they were bland and uninspired in 1930, and they're bland and uninspired today. A uniform has aesthetic virtue because it has aesthetic virtue, and duration is not an aesthetic consideration. Nor is the fact that a uniform was worn the year a person was 13 and had his basic aesthetic preferences set for life. It's also important to understand that just because you think something looks pretty, it is not necessarily a good design. And with sports uniforms, since many of our preferences are set by sentiments we held when we were adolescents, we should expect a large gap between how much any particular old uniform appeals to us and how good a design it actually is.

However, it's equally wrong to assume that change is necessarily good. Uniform design is not progressive; new designs are not inherently better than what came before. In many cases, today's uniform designers have more options and fewer limitations than designers from years ago, so a good design today will most often be much better than a good design from 20 or 40 years ago. But even within the technical constraints of previous eras, there have been examples of excellent design in all eras, and there are many examples of bad design today. So of course some past uniform designs are superior to what the same teams wear today. This is probably not true of most teams, but it's certainly true of some.

20082614447.png

You raise a valid philosophical point, and I agree with you about the too-common knee-jerk rejection of change. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about the Yankees uniforms; they were bland and uninspired in 1930, and they're bland and uninspired today. A uniform has aesthetic virtue because it has aesthetic virtue, and duration is not an aesthetic consideration. Nor is the fact that a uniform was worn the year a person was 13 and had his basic aesthetic preferences set for life. It's also important to understand that just because you think something looks pretty, it is not necessarily a good design. And with sports uniforms, since many of our preferences are set by sentiments we held when we were adolescents, we should expect a large gap between how much any particular old uniform appeals to us and how good a design it actually is.

However, it's equally wrong to assume that change is necessarily good. Uniform design is not progressive; new designs are not inherently better than what came before. In many cases, today's uniform designers have more options and fewer limitations than designers from years ago, so a good design today will most often be much better than a good design from 20 or 40 years ago. But even within the technical constraints of previous eras, there have been examples of excellent design in all eras, and there are many examples of bad design today. So of course some past uniform designs are superior to what the same teams wear today. This is probably not true of most teams, but it's certainly true of some.

I agree with you there - it can not be said that change is always for the better. However, where I disagree with most of the posters here is that the response to a poor change is simply to revert back to the previous look. I think the Pistons are a good example of this - they made (by most accounts what was) a very unpopular change, people screamed to "bring back" the old look. Instead of simply bringing it back, they updated it a bit. That's the "right way" to bring back an old look (IMO at least.) You see the same thing with cars - look at the Camaro (first example that came into my head, not necessarily the best example) - they didn't just bring back an old design, they took inspiration from an old design but took advantage of modern engineering and design principles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

vVdnVgWa.jpg

Seconded.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You can't? Haven't you been here for over several years now? :P

This is probably one of the best done things here, after general hatin' and newb bashing...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

hcmf-1053007-1.jpg

This was an awesome alt! Aw man, I almost forgot about that. Reminds me of a mythical red Minnesota Twins alt that only showed up in EA's Triple Play series in 1998 and 1999. :P

Archived