Uniforms that need to make a comeback

Brave-Bird 08

I have to agree about the teal Mariners, I was always a fan of those. Same with the old school Broncos, I'd at least like to see them switch back to those colors.

It's hard for me to be a Redskins fan, but I have always loved these:

redskins_20020108.jpg

I'd also like the Marlins to use more teal and at least bring back the teal hat:

mm-wm1-286.jpg

jeff_conine_allstarmvp.jpeg

ph_timeline_small_benito.jpg

My homer, I want to see the O's "modernize" the cartoon bird uniforms and bring back orange jerseys (minus the orange pants):

s_ripken_old_i.jpg

orioles.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely believe the Blue Jays need to return to the World Series championship era uniforms. These were a classic set in my eyes, comparable to Cardinals, Braves, Yankees, Dodgers.

3710461580_b3f6805e69.jpg

3710461524_917795681a.jpg

3709651287_365b3b6e64.jpg

Agreed. These were very well designed.

This jersey is an EPIC WIN!!!

Hm. Well, then, I was wrong. I apologize. You're generally a bit of a curmudgeon 'round here; I guess I projected the cane-waving retro love onto you. (And, well, your moniker is Bring Back the Vet.)

Me, I lean towards modern, but some things didn't need changing in the first place. The Blues, for example, went from a nice classic/modern mix, the best in their history, to... whatever that monstrosity is now. I don't think it's being a hater of everything new to say that the new stuff looks awful.

I'd contest the curmudgeon label, but I guess arguing would just make it fit more.

There are certainly new looks that are awful. No debate here. I just don't think that the answer is to "go back". While I believe that every look can be successfully updated, despite it's perceived "perfection" or history, I will agree that there are some that just shouldn't be touched unless you really really know what you're doing, and get it right. I get all that. I just hate a lot of the instant hatred that anything new gets (most of the time), seemingly just because it's... well, new. I'm also sick of the "in my day, football jerseys had sleeves and stripes, so it should be like that now" attitude. It's possible to embrace and celebrate the past, while living in the present and preparing for the future. Not that all (or even most) of the new designs do this effectively, but again, I don't think the answer to the problem is to turn back the calendar to 1970.

As for my moniker, yeah - I'm aware of the hypocrisy it implies. Just don't feel like changing it (nor am I creative enough to come up with anything else.)

For myself, when I advocate a team "going back" to an old look, its with the unstated understanding that is HAS to be an update... not a straight up return (especially in football). I'm not asking that an NFL club make some bold decision to be the only team in the league with three quarter length sleeves (now, a league wide mandate...hmmm), but when a team with a long standing classic look (the Bills, my Vikings) goes ultra modern it does make you question why they couldn't work more with what they had.

On the other hand, I think there are a number of teams trying way to hard to hold on to what doesn't work anymore... specifically in respect to 40 year old sleeve designs (Browns, Steelers).

hcmf-1053007-1.jpg

This was an awesome alt! Aw man, I almost forgot about that. Reminds me of a mythical red Minnesota Twins alt that only showed up in EA's Triple Play series in 1998 and 1999. :P

Agreed. Everything is so dark now, I'd love to see the teal come back for the Mariners. I've been trying to find the cap that has the teal bill for years now. Can't find it anywhere.

They sell them at the Bartells next to the downtown public library.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My homerism - Ottawa Senators in Barber pole... (Would drive Reebok crazy too... They'd likely try to make vertical stripes on the sides, and piping in yellow or something.

barber.gif

When did the Senators ever use that jersey?? It can't really make a comback if they never even wore it on the ice.

They didn't fellow CCSLCer Spyboy made it. He also made a sweet Whalers one too, and I believe a Bruins too.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Goin old school with these here.

This is my favorite White Sox uniform that they've ever wore, and I think a comeback to this would be great:

(Hall of Famer Luke Appling featured)

appling%20(howstuffworks.com).jpg

The Braves need to tweak thier current uniforms to look something like this, and then it'd become the best uniform in baseball.

(HOFer Warren Spahn)

03.18.jpg

And last but not least....

The Tigers should drop the orange outline on the road wordmark as well as the front numbers and they'd have a winner like this beautie here:

(HOFer Charlie Gehringer)

Gehringer3.gif

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

lap601kw3y115gt0gmshd3o2x.gif

Biggest problem with those jerseys (aside from the weak copperplate-ish number font) was the "patch" effect that the wordmark had. It was designed to be one piece, not individual letters, so you see weird connectors, like the one between the top of the R and S.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hm. Well, then, I was wrong. I apologize. You're generally a bit of a curmudgeon 'round here; I guess I projected the cane-waving retro love onto you. (And, well, your moniker is Bring Back the Vet.)

Me, I lean towards modern, but some things didn't need changing in the first place. The Blues, for example, went from a nice classic/modern mix, the best in their history, to... whatever that monstrosity is now. I don't think it's being a hater of everything new to say that the new stuff looks awful.

I'd contest the curmudgeon label, but I guess arguing would just make it fit more.

There are certainly new looks that are awful. No debate here. I just don't think that the answer is to "go back". While I believe that every look can be successfully updated, despite it's perceived "perfection" or history, I will agree that there are some that just shouldn't be touched unless you really really know what you're doing, and get it right. I get all that. I just hate a lot of the instant hatred that anything new gets (most of the time), seemingly just because it's... well, new. I'm also sick of the "in my day, football jerseys had sleeves and stripes, so it should be like that now" attitude. It's possible to embrace and celebrate the past, while living in the present and preparing for the future. Not that all (or even most) of the new designs do this effectively, but again, I don't think the answer to the problem is to turn back the calendar to 1970.

As for my moniker, yeah - I'm aware of the hypocrisy it implies. Just don't feel like changing it (nor am I creative enough to come up with anything else.)

For myself, when I advocate a team "going back" to an old look, its with the unstated understanding that is HAS to be an update... not a straight up return (especially in football). I'm not asking that an NFL club make some bold decision to be the only team in the league with three quarter length sleeves (now, a league wide mandate...hmmm), but when a team with a long standing classic look (the Bills, my Vikings) goes ultra modern it does make you question why they couldn't work more with what they had.

On the other hand, I think there are a number of teams trying way to hard to hold on to what doesn't work anymore... specifically in respect to 40 year old sleeve designs (Browns, Steelers).

Again, I'll co-sign to this. As thrilled as I am that the Brewers (finally) brought back the ball-in-glove, the actual unis from 1982 look bland and uninspired. Even worse, from a distance the royal blue pinstriping can make them look like the Cubs. Although, FWIW, they do still market the alts as "throwbacks."

What the Pistons did a few years back was brilliant. I wish more teams would take note.

I have to agree about the teal Mariners, I was always a fan of those. Same with the old school Broncos, I'd at least like to see them switch back to those colors.

It's hard for me to be a Redskins fan, but I have always loved these:

redskins_20020108.jpg

I love those. I think they should at least have a throwback alternate if they don't wear them full time. I prefer them more than what they currently have.

I say that these need to come back

(Only color pics that i can find,but y'all get the ideal)

591-1.lead_art_horizontal.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

I too love these SC outfits, especially the helmet. All the stripes down the center! I had to have the mini helmet, and I'm not even a fan of the team.

If you're going to go with crazystripe helmets, why not add a couple stars?

ncf_george_rogers_412.jpg

Also, apparently stonewashing your jersey was pretty hot in the early 80s.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

faulk_ind.jpg

I take it that you did not see that the RB has grey socks, but the OL has white sox. So you want that too?

Shadows combined with thin socks = looks slightly grey. Look - the jersey has a grey panel also! :rolleyes:

I think the socks actually are grey (look at the lineman's other leg), it's more just the shadows/lighting/etc. made them look white at that angle on the one leg.

faulk_ind.jpg

I take it that you did not see that the RB has grey socks, but the OL has white sox. So you want that too?

Shadows combined with thin socks = looks slightly grey. Look - the jersey has a grey panel also! :rolleyes:

I think the socks actually are grey (look at the lineman's other leg), it's more just the shadows/lighting/etc. made them look white at that angle on the one leg.

Hmmmm...

I'm almost positive they're white. Not based on this picture, but based on the fact that I think I'd remember gray sox. The Lions' one-year gray sox are legendary.

Archived