Pensacola Ice Flyers logo finalists

Geoff

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An artist named Six Zero designed #3. He sent in a ton of jersey samples to the Ice Flyers. You can see them all HERE.

I like #3 the best, but I prefer the green color scheme in your gallery. It's very unique. The blue and gold with that template looks very Sabre-ish.

What league is this for again? and do they have any affiliates that would restrict the color scheme?

1. They're set to play in the Southern Professional Hockey League (officially after 140-something more season ticket sales)

2. Technically, nothing would restrict their color scheme. They'd just prefer blue and gold because it's associated with Pensacola's history in naval aviation. Although the Mississippi Surge have a very similar color scheme, so the black and green would be more unique...

bYhYmxh.png

I like #3, but the propeller should be spinning so it looks like it's flying

It didn't bug me until you pointed it out. Due to the angle, it looks like the engine's stalled and they are in for a rough landing.

All that said...left up to me, I'd do the pretty obvious thing and name the friggin' team the friggin' Blue Angels already. If they gon' use Blue Angel imagery, they may as well use the daggone nickname, as well. I seriously don't think the Blues would have an issue with that.

My sentiments exactly. Pensacola Blue Angels-- solid.

If they did...well then shoot-name the team the Pilots. Cut and dry, pure and simple. Plus, alliteration counts for something, you know?

One problem I have (and had, previously) with using Pilots is the Navy's "bragadocious" notion of their flyers being not pilots, but better than pilots: they are naval AVIATORS, not pilots. (see An Officer and a Gentlemen, Top Gun, etc. for examples of this). "Ice Flyers" eliminates this discongruity, while "Pensacola Aviators" sounds like awkward.

By the way, Bucco, when was the last time you were home in the area? We passed through as usual on our way to Seaside this past 4th of July weekend, and the I-110 widening is pretty much FINALLY finished. What's pertinent is that on the support columns at the interchange with I-10, the FDOT added some blue angel decorations:

BlueAngels.jpg

Looked pretty cool; this pic does not do it justice.

It is what it is.

All that said...left up to me, I'd do the pretty obvious thing and name the friggin' team the friggin' Blue Angels already. If they gon' use Blue Angel imagery, they may as well use the daggone nickname, as well. I seriously don't think the Blues would have an issue with that.

If they did...well then shoot-name the team the Pilots. Cut and dry, pure and simple. Plus, alliteration counts for something, you know?

One problem I have (and had, previously) with using Pilots is the Navy's "bragadocious" notion of their flyers being not pilots, but better than pilots: they are naval AVIATORS, not pilots. (see An Officer and a Gentlemen, Top Gun, etc. for examples of this). "Ice Flyers" eliminates this discongruity, while "Pensacola Aviators" sounds like awkward.

By the way, Bucco, when was the last time you were home in the area? We passed through as usual on our way to Seaside this past 4th of July weekend, and the I-110 widening is pretty much FINALLY finished. What's pertinent is that on the support columns at the interchange with I-10, the FDOT added some blue angel decorations:

BlueAngels.jpg

Looked pretty cool; this pic does not do it justice.

I ain't been back home in a MINUTE, homes. It's been a good couple months...but I hope to get back down there sometime later this year, if I can. Problem is...U.S.A.R.M.Y. (Uncle. Sam. Ain't. Released. Me. Yet.)

But it's about time they finally finish with that 110 project. I laugh at how Foggie the (now former) mayor and his cronies up in City Council were/are hell-bent on transforming Pensacola from the great haven of the newly-weds and the nearly dead into this mini-ultra-urban metropolis showcase. Not that there's anything wrong with trying to boost P'cola's profile...but um, uh, let's just say they done left several demographics untapped, shall we? (And I'll just leave it at that.)

On another note, yes, I got love and pride for my lil' small city down there (after all, it was America's first settlement), but I'd like to see if, when the next pro team comes along, if they can come up with an identity that isn't tied into the navy or aviation. Or fish. That oughtta be an interesting challenge...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

#1 is a logo? I find that interesting.... yikes

Unfortuantely people think so. Some people are describing it as "nice", "clean", "modern", and "awesome".

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Until you realize the Navy wouldn't allow it and if they did it without permission, they'd have a nice lawsuit on their hands.

But it's about time they finally finish with that 110 project.

It's widened but it is no where near done. There still working on it and from the looks of it, they have a lot of work to do.

Where are you seeing these comments, Geoff?

I swear the text and arrangement of things in the first one reminds me of the Canton Ice Patrol.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Pensacola fan message board and IntoTheBoards. From people who obviously have never spent a day in their lives thinking about logos, don't realize the marketing aspect of it (slightly cartoonish will draw in the kids and their families, a big + when selling hockey in Florida), and probably think paying their neighbors kid 20 bucks is the best way to get a logo for their company.

EDIT: A guy who said he had 20+ years in screenprinting said #1 was the best and got the point across and he could easily put it on a t-shirt. I said it's nice that he qualified to judge the shirt aspect but what about pucks, pennants, toy Zamboni's, etc. Alas, no response.

People like the people that are voting and complaining don't think about all of the logistics. Good luck vectorizing #1 and making it larger and smaller. Good luck not having it be a jumbled mess at a tiny size.

#1 is a logo? I find that interesting.... yikes

Unfortuantely people think so. Some people are describing it as "nice", "clean", "modern", and "awesome".

#1 would be great on a biker T-Shirt or a wife beater. For every other purpose it is horrible. I didn't realize Pensacola had so many people fitting in the demographic that wears those things.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright, if you want to go that route, when was the last time that happened? In small-town America two teams in the same town at the same time with the same name is a horrible idea.

"Pensacola Aviators"

Forgot to mention: the name is taken.

Because no one has ever had two teams, in the same city, with the same name before:

St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Cardinals

The realities of modern pro sports marketing and merchandising being what they are, the days of two professional franchises in a single city sharing the same nickname are a thing of the past. Teams are looking to carve-out a unique identity for themselves brand-wise.

Alright, if you want to go that route, when was the last time that happened? In small-town America two teams in the same town at the same time with the same name is a horrible idea.

Shoot...Pensacola has a hard enough time keeping two teams in the same town at the same time period. Either way it goes, it'll be interesting to see how long this team sticks around town.

And um...about that 110 widening...so it isn't almost finished? Ehh...doesn't surprise me. I bet they ain't yet pulled all them blue tarps up off all them roofs over in Scenic Heights either have they???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not sure. I was busy trying not to die last time I was over there. lol

No They claim I10 is complete

after 7 years

Geoff I think the Barracudas played football and soccer at the same time here I could be wrong since they both died quickly.

we have had some crazy names in this town

Hotshots Basketball

Tornados Basketball

Barracuda indoor Football

Barracuda Socce

Power Girls Football

Wings Football

Ice Pilots Hockey

Pilots Baseball

We had a indoor soccer team cant remember the name

Lightning Football team

Rip Tide Girls football