Most Overused Nicknames in Sports

hettinger_rl

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just barely played that mascot game on the sporcle site, and it was pretty hard, but way fun. I think I got just over 20, so I did pretty well. The bulldogs and eagles/hawks/falcons are the most used in my experience, along with cougars and wildcats. I don't know why those animals are always picked. Sure they are cool, but it would be nice to be unique!

Now, this is off topic, but I love mascot costumes. It would be so cool to wear those! Tiger mascot costumes in particular, as that is my favorite animal. Am I the only one who thinks it would be fun to wear a mascot costume?

I have been working myself silly lately getting my College Colors & Nicknames section updated for the SSUR. It's just an enormous task; mind-boggling, really. I've got pretty much ALL nicknames for all four-year, two-year and Canadian schools.

I'll let everyone know when it's good to go.

I'm also generating hundreds of those color palette-swatch images too.

One nickname I haven't seen in here yet is the Highlanders. (Unless I missed it.)

That one belongs to Baldwin High School in Baldwin, PA (just call it Pittsburgh--you could spit from campus and it'll land in the "city limits"). Serves baldwin and Whitehall boroughs. With a cool logo to boot. And Paul Lukas' favorite color scheme: purple and white.

My high school was the Highlanders. (Because the school's on top of a hill.)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I have been working myself silly lately getting my College Colors & Nicknames section updated for the SSUR. It's just an enormous task; mind-boggling, really. I've got pretty much ALL nicknames for all four-year, two-year and Canadian schools.

I'll let everyone know when it's good to go.

I'm also generating hundreds of those color palette-swatch images too.

Dude I love your site. Its cool to be able to get the colors of the past and present. I've been checking in every once in a while to see if you've gotten Oregon's color swatches up.

Nicknames currently being used by high school and prep school athletic programs in Massachusetts:

Cougars - 9

Craftsmen - 1

Crimson Tide - 1

Crusaders - 8

Cybercats - 1 <<< wtf?

Dolphins - 1

Dragons - 3

Ducks - 1

Eagles - 14

Jets - 1

yessir, thats my team. the one in only. DY Dolphins :)

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

My private high school is the Trailblazers. The public high school I'd go to (and root for in football) is the Tigers. The other team in the district is the Royals.

The name Tigers comes from the original Fishers High School, which was the Tigers, founded back around the turn of the century. Then they moved the high school out of the town and it became Hamilton Southeastern High School, home of the Royals.

6fQjS3M.png

• 1 month later...

For Michigan High Schools that play football, these are the most popular nicknames (10+):

Ealges    33
Panthers 27
Vikings 25
Bulldogs 23
Trojans 21
Wildcats 19
Cardinals 16
Tigers 16
Falcons 14
Cougars 13
Knights 11
Hornets 10
Mustangs 10
Rams 10
Spartans 10
Warriors 10

Some unique nicknames:

Bad Axe Hatchets   
Bessemer Speedboys
Calumet Copper Kings
Colon Magi
Dearborn Fordson Tractors
Detroit Cass Tech Technicians
Detroit Pershing Doughboys
Detroit Southeastern Jungaleers
Dexter Dreadnaughts
Durand Railroaders
Edwardsburg Eddies
Escanaba Eskymos
Gaylord Saint Mary Cathedral Snowbirds
Gladwin Flying G's
Goodrich Martians
Gwinn Modeltowners
Holland Dutch
Holly Bronchos
Iron River West Iron County Wykons
Ishpeming Hematites
Kingsford Flivvers
Lincoln Park Railsplitters
Madison Heights Bishop Foley Catholic Ventures
Mount Clemens Battling Bathers
Saint Clair Shores Lake Shore Shorians
Vassar Vulcans
Warren Lincoln Abes
Waterford Mott Corsairs
Ypsilanti Lincoln Railsplitters
Zeeland East Chix
Zeeland West Dux

My high school: Kanab Cowboys (Red/White/Silver)

Our main rival: Beaver Beavers (Royal Blue/White/Black) (though their home unis were black when I was in HS) :puke:

Some interesting names/colors for H.S. names from the Beehive State (Utah) and nearby:

Jordan Beetdiggers (Maroon/White) (I think)

Delta Rabbits (Red/White)

Davis Darts (Brown/Gold) (not sure on yellow-gold or metallic gold) (Kaysville)

Dixie Flyers (Blue/White) (in St. George)

Monticello Buckaroos (Orange/Black)

Grand County Red Devils (Red/White) (I think) (in Moab)

Page (AZ) Sand Devils (Red/Black) (I think)

Carbon Dinosaurs (Blue/White) (in Price)

Manti Templars (Red/Silver) (I think it's also a play on the Manti [LDS] Temple, the most-well known landmark in the city)

Piute Thunderbirds (Light Blue/Red) (in Junction)

Canyon View Falcons (Teal/Silver/Black) (in Cedar City)

North Sevier Wolves (Maroon/Royal Blue) (in Salina)

Man, there's a lot of red and blue in there. I could also have sworn that I've seen an early pennant (in the old library, which is now a local museum) for Kanab High and it looked like it was orange and brown. I wonder if that's what the colors were going to be or what led to the change to red and white.

I've also seen a severely shrunken basketball uniform from the 50's, and it had some royal blue trim on it. I also own a basketball jersey from the 80's which had powder blue on it, as well.

Another name came to my mind, from Arizona: Bagdad Sultans (that's how it's spelled)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Since we're covering both amateur and pro teams, I thought about this one

Texans. Bo-ring. Seriously, it seems every time a pro-football team shows up in Texas, the nickname "Texans" has to be kicked around. I know there's the whole local pride angle, but this has really lost it's punch over the years, probably because everyone seems insistent on using it. No fewer than six teams have done so, and I'm sure there are a few others in other sports or schools. We'll start with the most recent and go backwards...

Houston Texans-NFL (2002-present)

San Antonio Texans-CFL (1995) *formerly the Sacramento Gold Miners, oddly enough another expansion team was supposed to join the same year as Sacramento also called the San Antonio Texans but they never came to be.

Dallas Texans-Arena (1990-1993)

Houston Texans-WFL (1974) *started of at the Astrodome but finished season in Shreveport, LA as the Steamer

Dallas Texans-AFL (1960-196) *moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs when they had to compete with the NFL's Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Texans-NFL (1951-1952)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

My pet peve with sports names is when the name really clashes with a location- for instance Pittsburgh Pirates. Pittsburgh isn't coastal is it?? Not much of a Pirate problem in the steel city then!! Or Utah Jazz, can't think of a less Jazzy place than Utah.

I know some of the worst offenders on this are due to relocation (such as the Jazz) but if your name really clashes like that change it.

Animal names don't irritate me that much when it comes to this, I don't think that the Detroit Lions or Jacksonville Jaguars are bad names really (save for the alliteration).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

well, three rivers do run through Pittsburgh (or converge there, I forget which), so even if they never poached players from rival leagues (which is how they got the name) it'd still work.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

well, three rivers do run through Pittsburgh (or converge there, I forget which), so even if they never poached players from rival leagues (which is how they got the name) it'd still work.

Ha ha they could do with poaching a few players now!!

(Can't really be a pirate on a river though!! The Galleons would never fit!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived