Rays vs A's Retro Saturday

raysox

Anyone else find it extremely strange to see a player as good as Evan Longoria wearing that uniform?

Yes....I thought it would be somewhat cool to see these unis again, but now that I have (and have seen the boxscore) they should be locked up or burned.

I won't deny that its part of our history, but history is meant to stay in the past.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As opposed to the Marlins, who off the bat had a strong look. Say what you will about their color scheme, at least their cap logo of the "F" and the marlin has stood up.

I'll say this about their color scheme, then - they were a hell of a lot better off back when they were a teal team instead of a black-and-silver team.

Say what you want about the 90's-ness of those jerseys but the reason people are so intrigued by them is because they were so unique. The Rays took a chance on their uniforms when they started out. Were they cheesy? Yes. But were they unique and creative? Absolutley.

They were a unique and distinguished look in a sport that has shut the door for the most part on colorful looks. Yes, the Devil Rays/now Rays sucked in them, and a change was needed, in what eventually became an overhaul, but that look is so refreshing to see every once in a while because it exemplifies outside the box thinking, something teams have sort of done away with in the 21st century as far as their looks are concerned.

Anyone else find it extremely strange to see a player as good as Evan Longoria wearing that uniform?

You're right, no decent player has ever worn that uniform before

1104874626_2889.jpg

t_35074.jpg

mlb_a_canseco_275.jpg

Oh sorry, I should've said a player as good as Longoria, who's even somewhat close to his prime. I'll be sure to be more detailed and accurate in my descriptions for you next time :wink2:

The backs look pretty traditional compared to the fronts. Maybe there's only so much outside the box to go around.

A couple of years back, I remember seeing a D-Rays black BP jersey on eBay which had a custom number font on the back, clearly designed to match the wordmark. Whether this was a prototype or a custom job, I don't know. But it was not pleasant to look at. The numbers were white-on-black-on-purple, I believe.

Also on eBay, I've seen the occasional black D-Rays authentic alternate jersey, with a twist: sleeve cuffs. The cuff on the left sleeve, underneath the logo patch, is solid black. On the right sleeve, though, the cuff is a neon rainbow - possibly lime green, bright blue, and yellow, IIRC. Don't know what the hell that's all about.

Oh, and one more thing: back when the '98 expansion was initially announced, the D-Rays' colors of choice were black and that bright, Carolina Panthers-esque blue. This eBay auction somewhat confirms it, and I remember seeing other merch with that color scheme at the time, including a bright blue jersey with the "Devil Rays" wordmark in black, all in a single line, across the front. Wonder what the hell made them switch over to purple, given that they already knew their expansion counterpart would be using the same color.

The Rays pulled off their throwback night flawlessly, even though it seems like those things are cursed since they lost in those uniforms like they usually did. :P

The A's, on the other hand...forest green pullovers...wtf.

Archived